Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple bottom bracket replaced

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-02-07, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My buddy got a new Specialized Roubaix and has had these problems in only a few months of riding.

The spokes on the original equipment Open Sport rear wheel started losing tension and became out of round. The wheel was trued a couple of times but would not stay true very long. It was determined the rim itself was out of round. My buddy has not hit any potholes or had any other events that he thought should have caused this and I agree. The verdict is still out on whether Specialized will warranty them. In the meantime he has purchased Mavic Aksiums. These wheels give him a much smoother ride which leads him to believe the Open Sports were not built properly. Opinions.

He also posted this on RoadBikeReview's Specialized forum and has not received many responses so hopefully it is not a widespread problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...So I've been hearing a little creaking from my bike when I stand up and mash the pedals. It seemed to be a little worse yesterday and I called my LBS. They had me bring the bike in and they replaced the bottom bracket (FSA MegaExo) under warranty.

Anyone else have trouble with a bottom bracket on a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple? Was the BB installed at the factory of did the dealer do it? What would cause it to fail?

Doesn't it seem extraordinary for someone to have this many problems with a new bike, especially with the reputation for quality that I perceive Specialized to have?
Old 08-02-07, 11:50 PM

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works SL2, Redline Conquest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year, I purchased a 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp triple with FSA cranks. After a couple of months, a little bit of slack seemed to develop in the bottom bracket - kind of a looseness felt when pedaling over the top. Took it in to the LBS twice. First time they just tightened it up, but it eventually loosened up again. Next time they ordered a new crank and replaced it. After that, it seemed to work fine.

However, upon replacing my chain early this year (at a different LBS), the new chain did not want to stay in the middle ring. Seems the old stretched chain was happy with my middle ring, but the new chain just would not stay. I would get the constant auto shift to the triple or big ring. Luckily, a local FSA rep happened to have a different middle ring and installed it on my bike. I think the problem was more of an FSA issue than a Specialized issue. Other than the BB and cranks, I haven't had any problems.

My Shimano 105 wheels need to be trued slightly once or twice a season, but I think that's just because at 220, I put alot of strain on them.