Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame Material

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 12:18 PM
HenryL

Bikes: Raleigh Militus, Custom Steel road bike manufactured by Steve Willis of The Bike Stand, Raleigh Rush Hour. Windcheetah recumbent trike, Actionbent SWB recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Material

All four of my bikes are aluminum, Road bike - Raleigh R 700, Commuter - Van dessell Straight UP, ATB-Giant, Recumbent - windcheetah.

What am I missing by not riding steel or carbon? Different ride, responsiveness, handling??

Is it worth adding a steel frame to the group?
Old 08-03-07, 12:28 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Steel rides nice,but are you happy with your current bikes? I wouldn't buy a bike just to get a certain frame material.

You are missing a cross bike. You could get a Jamis Aurora.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-03-07, 12:59 PM
Heck yes.

Bikes: Saint Tropez, Shogun

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, you're not really missing anything. But should you feel a sudden craving for a sweet new ride, I would suggest some fine cromoly. That stuffs my jam.
Old 08-03-07, 05:59 PM
Gorntastic!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NO, because if you add a steel bike you will immediately hate all of your aluminum bikes.

Actually I'm ok with aluminum hardtails, i just can't stand aluminum road bikes.
Old 08-03-07, 07:15 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by HenryL
All four of my bikes are aluminum, Road bike - Raleigh R 700, Commuter - Van dessell Straight UP, ATB-Giant, Recumbent - windcheetah.

What am I missing by not riding steel or carbon? Different ride, responsiveness, handling??

Is it worth adding a steel frame to the group?

The essence of your question is "should I get another bike?" and we all know the only one correct answer to that, don't we.

YES!