Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally got to ride with someone

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 09:02 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So it's dawn, drizzling, and I'm in the middle of a state forest. It's so quiet I don't even see any deer! Then suddenly a stealth fixie is 5 feet behind me. Scared me out of my wits. He had come to the park too late last night and the gates were closed (they're never locked, but he didn't know that) and he had pulled his bike off the car and biked in--in complete darkness on curvy roads he didn't know with no light. That would have been an experience. Anyway, we did 3 miles until my chain fell off.

It was* fun talking and riding.

Then later I met a roadie coming from the other direction, and he stuck his arm straight out. I thought it was a wave, but then I thought it was a special hand signal telling me a car was behind me. Which one was it?
Old 08-04-07, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We use that as a signal for left turns around here. Since roadies neither signal or wave, he was probably just stretching.
Old 08-04-07, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Then later I met a roadie coming from the other direction, and he stuck his arm straight out. I thought it was a wave, but then I thought it was a special hand signal telling me a car was behind me. Which one was it?
When cycling thru a state forest just after dawn, that signal means "THERE IS A BEAR CHASING ME!"
Otherwise it probably just means "Ride closer to the shoulder, you're taking up the whole road..."