Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Software that Plots Roads in Miles

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 06:21 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to figure out less traveled roads in my neighborhood, where I can begin a ride from my house and make a round trip that goes 20 miles when ending the ride at my house.

Are there software programs that if providing your starting point-address, you can visualize the streets that can be taken ... and the sofware also tells you the miles traveled based on the road-vectors of the round trip?

Free software is usually a good bargain, but I'd be interested in any professional software that kicks the map-plotting up a notch. It would be nice to have a program where you could print a handlebar-mounted map that is big enough that 50-year old eyes could read.
Old 08-06-07, 06:28 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I use DeLorme's Topo USA. I does what you want and can be used for trips in the car also. Provides 3D data with altitudes as well as miles. Could be hoodes to a GPS unit for car use.

Bought mine on Ebay for less.
Old 08-06-07, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
Trying to figure out less traveled roads in my neighborhood, where I can begin a ride from my house and make a round trip that goes 20 miles when ending the ride at my house.

Are there software programs that if providing your starting point-address, you can visualize the streets that can be taken ... and the sofware also tells you the miles traveled based on the road-vectors of the round trip?

Free software is usually a good bargain, but I'd be interested in any professional software that kicks the map-plotting up a notch. It would be nice to have a program where you could print a handlebar-mounted map that is big enough that 50-year old eyes could read.
I use 'routeslip.com'. If you turn on the "auto route" feature it will follow the road and give you a running total of miles and climbing with just a few clicks. As for being able to read the map, I purchased some stick on bifocals from safetyglassesusa.com and applied them to my riding glasses. https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx...-bifocals.html
Old 08-06-07, 08:23 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad

The one I use is a Google tool that is free https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

It is easy to use, has excellent maps, and you can even check elevation changes if you want. The zoom in feature allows you to check details at intersections and you can use the satellite or hybrid features to get a picture of where you are riding. It records miles to the nearest .001 mile and you can save the route for use later, and it has a print feature as well.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-07, 07:25 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Delorme Topo USA. I bought it before all of the free route planners based on Gmap-pedometer were available. Still, it was only $38.00 on ebay and you can save the files to a .jpg to print out on paper.

I don't use a GPS but Delorme will also convert to files you can use on the most common Handheld GPS units.

On a map of a large area, you will lose the small details and street names. Here is a comparison of two routes. The first is a 10 mile loop. The second is an 80 mile point to point route that starts near the 10 mile loop in the first map.

Both are sized to print on 8 1/2 by 11 paper. I do like the elevation profiles better than the plain graphs that you get from the gmap clones.
Old 08-07-07, 05:16 AM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
www.mapitpronto.com

I use the "follow the road" option.

similar features to the gmap-pedometer site.
Old 08-07-07, 05:23 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Bookmarked.
Old 08-07-07, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3279 Post(s)
Liked 2,118 Times in 1,194 Posts
I've yet to find a way for gmpa-pedometer to follow the road, the way mapmyrides does. Am I missing a toggle somewhere ?.

Mapmyrides is OK, but seems to bog down the longer the route.

SB
Old 08-07-07, 06:07 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's two more:

https://www.bikely.com

https://www.routeslip.com
Old 08-07-07, 07:51 AM