Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New Stem for Bullhorns?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

New Stem for Bullhorns?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Stem for Bullhorns?

Thanks to the excellent Nashbar sale going on today (50%+ off all Nashbar brand stuff- yay!) I am thinking about actually puling the trigger on a TT bar/brake lever combo.It was said in a thread before that it's important to run a short stem with bullhorns so you don't look like and idiot, and the one I have now is the 110 (I think- it's definitely long) stem that came on my Langster which I run flipped down. If I spring for the Nashbar TT bars (and TT brake levers down to $9.99!), should I just get the shortest stem possible? If it helps, here's the bike's current (stock) setup:

It seems like with that loooooonnnng stem down, it will look about as cool as a drop stem with risers (maybe worse). The 30mm Nashbar (yay!) alloy stem seems like it would work. Any ideas? Is 30mm too small? Also, I should probably buy new (Nashbar) cables, right? I don't think the current ones will reach.

Last edited by elemental; 08-06-07 at 08:57 AM. Reason: wrong numbers
Old 08-06-07, 09:07 AM
dan bones!

Bikes: iro mark v for street, sh itamori peloton for track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a 30mm stem is probably going to make your ride twitch as ****. a slight shift in handlebar direction with a 110 or a 100mm stem is one thing, but you have to consider how much more of a turning angle that produces with a way shorter stem.

most people don't ride such short stems because it really, really screws with your stability.

i've ridden a couple different bullhorn setups and my favorite is with a burly, burly nitto mtb stem with nitto pursuit bars (the ones with a drop to them). the stem is a 90mm.

the cheap, low end stems are really flexy and make me super nervous. you're gonna get a lot of flex out of those nashbar bullhorns as well. its not really a big deal if you don't weigh a whole lot, but it's certainly not fun.
Old 08-06-07, 09:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I didn't think of that. Good point. Perhaps 80 or 90 would be better.

Also, I don't weigh much (around 5'10" 164 and falling), and wouldn't the stock setup on a bike this cheap probably be pretty flexy as well? I haven't noticed it. Do you think this would be that much worse?
Old 08-06-07, 09:18 AM
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say just try the bullhorns with your current stem first.

As for the cables, you'll most likely have to get new ones. Not because they might be too short but because TT levers use the cylinder cable ends (usually used on MTB levers) where most road levers use the spherical cable end. Most cables will have both types of cable ends but to be safe just order MTB cables (or go to the LBS and pick some up there). Don't forget cable housing if you want to replace them too and ferrules.

I just put on the Nashbar TT bars and levers on my IRO build and i really like them.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 08-06-07, 09:25 AM
dan bones!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i weigh 145 and used to ride profile bullhorns with two different types of aluminum stems. after riding them a full year, i started getting an alarming amount of flex in the bars. if i pushed down on them they would visibly bend about 3/4 of an inch.

yoshi on the forms had a pair of 'em as well, and they snapped on him after doing the same thing.

the nashbar horns are kinda the same deal if i recall, if not cheaper quality, so its something to look out for. they'll be fine when you start out, but after enough time, aluminum bars get like that.

keep your hand position in mind as well. when you're on your brake hoods, that's a fairly good indicator of where you'll rest on your bullhorns. if it's really comfortable, you might as well stick with the same stem you've got now. nashbar brand stuff isn't something i'd consider a step up from typical stock components.
Old 08-06-07, 09:27 AM
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess now was a bad time to list my old Nashbar bullhorns on eBay.
Old 08-06-07, 09:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonechilling
I guess now was a bad time to list my old Nashbar bullhorns on eBay.
Especially with the free shipping deal- how can you match that?

However, if there's one thing eBay proves to us time and time again, it's that fixie riders are the dumbest people on earth. Remember this?

Sold at $560? I think there's hope for your bullhorns. . . .
Old 08-06-07, 10:44 AM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, don't bother changing your stem for something shorter.
Riding bullhorns mimics the position of riding on your hoods. You likely have about ~85mm of reach to your hoods right now. You'll have a longer reach than that if you ride with your hands all the way our to the end of the bullhorns, but personally, I don't do that much.
Old 08-06-07, 10:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get the Nashbar OS bullhorns just note that they extension on those things are REALLY long which may be why some people are suggesting a shorter stem. I got Proifile T2 Wings because they are much shorter and fit me better. I did previously purchase the Nashbar bullhorns. I have a 54cm Langster and run bullhorns and a 120mm stem. Fits me perfect. I also run a 120mm stem on my road bike with standard drop bars. The position on my hoods places me in the same approximate position as the bullhorns if that helps you make a decision.

I did a comparo between the two:
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=294716
Old 08-06-07, 11:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know where the OS bullhorns went? All I can find are these https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products.

Not quite as fly, but they'll do the trick. Does anyone know where the OS bars went?

Anyways, I think I'll just order the bars, levers, and wraps- for around $28 with free shipping I don't have much to lose. I do wish I could get those OS bars though. . . .
Old 08-06-07, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, anyone have any advice on width? They come in 40, 42, and 44. I was thinking 40 because it seems like wider bars just make the bike wider than it needs to be, and I like the idea of having my hands a little closer together (I don't anticipate balance being an issue). Am I missing anything in that decision?
Old 08-06-07, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any ideas for fun bar tape? The Darth Vader look is cool, but I wouldn't mind something a little different. . . .
Old 08-06-07, 11:49 AM
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go pink!

I used a 40cm bar, but just measure your current ones to find out. I believe it's measured center-center, i would've gone with a 38cm if they had it though. The drop bars on my road bike are 40cm.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 08-06-07, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elemental
Oh yeah, anyone have any advice on width? They come in 40, 42, and 44. I was thinking 40 because it seems like wider bars just make the bike wider than it needs to be, and I like the idea of having my hands a little closer together (I don't anticipate balance being an issue). Am I missing anything in that decision?
I have 42's and if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten 40's. Nashbar bars are true to measurements so a 42cm bar is 42cm C-C.
Old 08-06-07, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know where the OS bullhorns went? All I can find are these https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products.

Not quite as fly, but they'll do the trick. Does anyone know where the OS bars went?

Anyways, I think I'll just order the bars, levers, and wraps- for around $28 with free shipping I don't have much to lose. I do wish I could get those OS bars though. . . .
Get these then
https://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-Design-T...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-06-07, 12:31 PM
dan bones!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any ideas for fun bar tape? The Darth Vader look is cool, but I wouldn't mind something a little different. . . .
cinelli tape works well, but it gets thrashed pretty easily. i've got glow in the dark fabric paint on mine, which is suuuper handy when i'm trying to quietly come home at 3am without slamming into the coffee table.

my mavic pusuit bars are unwrapped. i never ride too seriously with those on, though.
Old 08-06-07, 09:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psydotek
Go pink!

I used a 40cm bar, but just measure your current ones to find out. I believe it's measured center-center, i would've gone with a 38cm if they had it though. The drop bars on my road bike are 40cm.
Recognize the Nashbar levers, are those the Nashbar horns as well? The setup looks great- I like the pink on green. Thinking about yellow for mine.
Old 08-06-07, 09:51 PM
408 South Bay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same 110mm stem you had, switched to a 70mm and it works great with my bullhorns.
Old 08-07-07, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking yellow tape.
Old 08-07-07, 10:42 AM
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pictured with a 120mm stem but I've since switched to 110mm. Now I am running a bigger saddle to bar drop with the short stem. Tape is Cinelli cork and it is the *****.
Old 08-07-07, 10:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered:

Nashbar TT bars
Nashbar TT levers
Nashbar bar tape (yellow)

It was like $30 shipped and taxed. Amazing. Thanks Nashbar!

I'll just get the cable (and probably some assembly help) at my LBS. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 08-07-07, 10:46 AM
Should be out Riding

Bikes: Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I hated my Nashbar TT bars. They had way too much flex in them. It was really annoying.

Originally Posted by MIN
Pictured with a 120mm stem but I've since switched to 110mm. Now I am running a bigger saddle to bar drop with the short stem. Tape is Cinelli cork and it is the *****.
Until you look at them when an abrasive glare, and then they tear.
Old 08-07-07, 11:39 AM
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lvleph
I hated my Nashbar TT bars. They had way too much flex in them. It was really annoying.

Until you look at them when an abrasive glare, and then they tear.
I'm a ****** and I get new white tape every week.