Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Mirada Upgrade Questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 06:55 AM

Bikes: 93 Schwinn Sidewinder, 05 Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased a Schwinn Mirada off of Craigslist. It has 26" wheels (not 650B), so I believe it is a 91 or 92 model. I'm not 100% sure though.

It came with nice fenders, and the wheels are in good shape. The crankset is a Shimano 200GS with Biopace rings that are in good shape. The rear derailer is the bottom end Shimano model from that era. It doesn't shift very smoothly, and I just adjusted it as best as it can get. The bottom bracket seems like it needs to be replaced as well.

My goal with this bike is to use it for some weekend touring trips and rain commuting/errands. I would like to replace the bottom bracket and rear derailler, as well as get some drop handlebars and bar end shifters.

Will bar end shifters and a new rear derailler (Deore or LX) both work with the 6spd rear gears? I don't mind the shifting being friction.

Is there anything else that you all think I should do to this bike? Also, does anyone know what steel material that the frame is made of? I've seen a couple listed on Craigslist as having Chromoly steel, but there are not any markings on the frame.
Old 08-07-07, 08:51 AM
Newbie, and proud of it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an old Mirada as my back-up bike, and it works brilliantly. Good purchase!

A 6-7-8 speed chain and accommodating derailleur with friction shifters won't care about the number of gears. The main thing to confirm is that the derailleur cage is long enough to fit the range of gears. Assuming a stock freewheel, you shouldn't have any problem with a standard long cage, but it wouldn't hurt to double check.

Don't forget to budget for a stem with appropriate clamp and steer tube diameters.
Old 08-07-07, 11:31 AM

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This brings back memories. I bought one of these brand new in 91 and rode it as a commuter in Philidelphia. Second best bike I ever had. It rode smooth and was reliable, I'm sorry I don't have it anymore.
It cost me about $400.00 back then, not sure what it would cost now new.

Good find.

Steven
Old 08-07-07, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingAnchor
This brings back memories. I bought one of these brand new in 91 and rode it as a commuter in Philidelphia. Second best bike I ever had. It rode smooth and was reliable, I'm sorry I don't have it anymore.
It cost me about $400.00 back then, not sure what it would cost now new.

Good find.

Steven
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the steel is Chromoly?
Old 08-07-07, 12:52 PM

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I am not sure what the frame was made of, sorry. I know the current owner (gave it to him) is there a way to find out by looking at a bike to find out which it is?
I would see him this sunday and ask to see the bike if you have any idea.
Steven
Old 08-07-07, 01:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually, the frame material is on a decal somewhere on the bike. Mine doesn't have a decal, and I don't think that bike would either.