Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of a new rear wheel - DT Swiss TK 7.1

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 08:02 PM
Biking Gunslinger

Bikes: 62 cm Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm contemplating replacing the stock wheels on my Surly Cross-Check. The shop owner is a master wheel builder and recommended, like many others the Mavic OP/Ultegra combo. I also asked him about a DT Swiss TK 7.1 wheel with Onyx hubs (I can run either 130mm or 135mm spaced hubs - kinda nice to have that many options).

Does anyone have experience with the TK 7.1s and/or the Onyx hubs. Would I gain anything strength wise over the OP/Ultegra setup? I'm leaning towards the TK 7.1 option because I don't ride just smooth pavement, but I'm often bombing down alleyways riddled with potholes and curbs.

TIA
Old 08-07-07, 08:58 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I built up my last new bike I did a ton research on rims and hubs. I my opinion it comes down to this:
There are only two hubs for us full figured guys. Shimano XT (or LX) or Phil Woods for 5 times the price. Anything else is for style points. Check out what Sheldon Brown has to say about this.

As for rims I have always rode Sun Ryno's and Ryno Lites, and found them bullet proof. For my new bike however I wanted something narrower. My wheel builder has had some bad experiences with the new rims from Mavic. He also did not like the lack of eyelets on the Velocity Deep V's and Dyad. He suggested a liitle known rim (in North America) from Abrosio called the Keba. So far I have found these rims to be very tough, time will tell.

I'm a big guy who rides a lot. I have actually wore out rims and hubs, not bent, but wore out the side walls and the races. As a clyde you want strength and durability, weight should not be an issue. Go at least 36 hole, with 3 cross lacing and do have the wheels build by hand, by a good wheel builder. I hope this helps.

Oh About the DT Swiss nice rims but costly.
Old 08-07-07, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with hoss10. I've had LX hubs and Ryno Lite rims on my Atlantis for more than 4000 miles, and I haven't had to touch them. FWIW, I'm only about 230 pounds now, but I was over 270 at the start.
Old 08-07-07, 10:38 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Dt swiss has been in cycling for a long time and make some wonderful rims.. I have a set of RR 1.1, which are very similar to open pros.. The 7.1 rim is there trekking rim, which is more comparable to the Mavic A719 rim. Both the Dt Swiss or A719 will give you a solid bombproof build.. Both of these would be more durable than the open pro combo.. If you are looking to shave a little weight the Open pro's - 36 hole or DT Swiss RR1.1 are a good choice.. The Velocity Deep V rim is also a good choice which is just as durable with a little more lateral stiffness than the open pro style rims..