Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

No one stocks touring bikes

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-10-07, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A check of the bike shops in town (Colorado Springs and vicinity) and none of them stock touring bikes. I have been calling shops in Denver, an hour away and no luck so far. I think I'd like to get a Jamis Aurora or Bianchi Volpe, but it would be swell to see one first. All the shops will order for MSRP, plus a shipping/special order charge and tax. So not only do I not get to try it out, I have to pay extra for it.

Are there online sources for these bikes? I can certainly do the assembly and tuning myself.

Excuse the vent. Guess this is MTB country.
Old 08-10-07, 02:37 PM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar?
Old 08-10-07, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try Boulder shops
Old 08-10-07, 02:44 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Touring bikes are not uber popular in most parts of Canada & the US.
Old 08-10-07, 03:03 PM
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
valleygirl is in Colorado and tours and posts here. If she doesn't respond to this post, PM her and see if she has any suggestions. I forget which part of CO she's in, but, she might be able to help you. There are others from CO who post here but I haven't seen posts from them recently; hopefully they're out touring.
Old 08-10-07, 03:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem in Toronto. it seems like the only store that stocks a touring bike in more than one size is the Trek store. They had three 520s when I went in there a month ago. I haven't even seen a Rocky Mountain Sherpa yet. And it looks like I have as much chance of test riding a Rivendell Atlantis as I do at getting a date with Scarlett Johansson.
Old 08-10-07, 03:39 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by bfromcolo
A check of the bike shops in town (Colorado Springs and vicinity) and none of them stock touring bikes. I have been calling shops in Denver, an hour away and no luck so far. I think I'd like to get a Jamis Aurora or Bianchi Volpe, but it would be swell to see one first. All the shops will order for MSRP, plus a shipping/special order charge and tax. So not only do I not get to try it out, I have to pay extra for it.

Are there online sources for these bikes? I can certainly do the assembly and tuning myself.

Excuse the vent. Guess this is MTB country.
You might try Cycle Analyst in Denver. They carry Fuji and Surly. I've seen Fuji touring bikes on their floor before but I don't know if they have any now. The REI flagship store in Denver used to carry Cannondale and they have the Randonee which is similar to the Jamis. but I haven't seen any there lately (but I haven't been looking). You might check Lee's Cyclery in Fort Collins also.

Salvegetti's had a Jamis Aurora on the floor about 2 month's ago and Turin Bicycles carries Bianchi. I didn't see a Volpe last time I was in but, again, I wasn't looking.

Not much help but let your fingers do the walking

And touring bikes are hard to find anywhere...not just here.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-10-07, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom
valleygirl is in Colorado and tours and posts here. If she doesn't respond to this post, PM her and see if she has any suggestions. I forget which part of CO she's in, but, she might be able to help you. There are others from CO who post here but I haven't seen posts from them recently; hopefully they're out touring.
ha ha, actually, it's "VALYGRL", there's another valleygirl from the LA area....

Boulder has some 520's - there's a 19" 2006 on discount at Bicycle Village, there is at least one 2007 (larger size, i think) at University Bikes, and there's a store up in Longmont called "Hike and Bike" or "Bike and Hike" that has 2 or three 520's, I think one of them was very large. I guess since I have a 520, I notice them.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Volpe somewhere, but can't remember if it was in a shop or on the road. MIght also have been bicycle village - which is a chain, so maybe there is one closer to you, i don't know.

Don't forget to check out REI, as well - the Randonee looks like a pretty decently equiped tourer, and it's REI, so if you get it and it doesn't work, you can return it. Although, the parts pick on the 520 is much higher quality.
Old 08-10-07, 05:14 PM
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
ha ha, actually, it's "VALYGRL", there's another valleygirl from the LA area....
oops! sorry!
Old 08-10-07, 07:27 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MatthewGT3
I'm having the same problem in Toronto. it seems like the only store that stocks a touring bike in more than one size is the Trek store. They had three 520s when I went in there a month ago. I haven't even seen a Rocky Mountain Sherpa yet. And it looks like I have as much chance of test riding a Rivendell Atlantis as I do at getting a date with Scarlett Johansson.
Go to urbane cycles! They have house-brang touring frames, and guess what, a Bleriot as well
Old 08-10-07, 07:50 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Killer-V 900 (Mountain), Jamis Aurora (Touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a great deal on an Aurora on ebay right now: Item number 110155849582

It's 55cm and it'll fits me perfectly at 5'11". At the "buy it now" price you can afford to fix anything you don't like. If you get it replace the seatpost immediately. Everything else is pretty decent. I'm very happy with mine and wish I had caught this deal but I paid $850 about a month ago.
Old 08-10-07, 08:14 PM
lost in the ozone

Bikes: serotta colorado, Trek 620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI has a couple models of touring bikes that measure up well to to Fuji and Jamis. Several stores in CO

https://www.rei.com/FindStores?state=CO&radius=900
Old 08-10-07, 09:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike shops that charge more than MSRP for a bike they have to order aren't very good bike shops and should be avoided at all costs. Special orders are very easy money for a shop.

Having a bike to test ride is tougher-- the shop can only stock so many bikes and it's hard to get the size/model for every buyer.
Old 08-11-07, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, there's a bicycle village in c-springs... maybe you could get them to ship a520 to demo from one of their other stores.
https://bicyclevillage.com/page.cfm?pageID=212
Old 08-11-07, 01:18 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by valygrl
Hey, there's a bicycle village in c-springs... maybe you could get them to ship a520 to demo from one of their other stores.
https://bicyclevillage.com/page.cfm?pageID=212
Colorado Spring Bicycle Shop
622 West Colorado Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Phone (719) 634-4915

Carries Jamis and Fuji. Check them if you haven't. Here are some others within 150 miles of Denver that carry Jamis.

Bianchi, Trek, Cannondale, Surly, etc. have dealer search engines. A very useful resource.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-11-07, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody. I called every Bianchi and Jamis dealer within 75 miles of me and no one had one in my size. And no one was discounting special orders regardless of the price on floor models. Ended up going with a cyclocross bike instead, left over 06 Axis in my size marked down considerably. Was looking at the tourers not so much to tour but to commute and wanted some decent brakes, I think this will do nicely.
Old 08-11-07, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You might try Cycle Analyst in Denver. They carry Fuji and Surly. I've seen Fuji touring bikes on their floor before but I don't know if they have any now. The REI flagship store in Denver used to carry Cannondale and they have the Randonee which is similar to the Jamis. but I haven't seen any there lately (but I haven't been looking). You might check Lee's Cyclery in Fort Collins also.

Salvegetti's had a Jamis Aurora on the floor about 2 month's ago and Turin Bicycles carries Bianchi. I didn't see a Volpe last time I was in but, again, I wasn't looking.

Not much help but let your fingers do the walking

And touring bikes are hard to find anywhere...not just here.
Touring bikes are hard to find because of the perceived limited demand. You can pick one to your liking up on the 'Bay though.
Old 08-11-07, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by NormanF
Touring bikes are hard to find because of the perceived limited demand. You can pick one to your liking up on the 'Bay though.
Not really. They are hard to find because we skinflints hold on to our bikes for 20+ years and wonder why they don't make more of them

Personally, I suggest them every time someone asks about commuting bikes and someone else invariably suggest a cross bike.

Old 08-11-07, 07:31 PM
uhmmmm?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend you do what I did, to test ride all the Cannondale and Trek's I needed to, I drove wherever I had to. I actually drove 1,000 miles one day but it was worth it! I got two hours of test riding bicycles and then drove home. It sold me on my T2000 and I never regretted it doing it. There is no substitute for test riding a bicycle.
Old 08-11-07, 10:03 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
We sell buttloads of touring and 'cross' bikes at the shop I work at in the Northwest to dediated bicycle commuters that want wide tire capacity, rackability, fenders and a comfortable ride.

Trek 520s, Bianchi Volpes, Rocky Mountain Sherpas, Redline Conquests, etc.

Not only that, but you can find Long Haul Truckers built up as floor models at likely a half dozen shops locally.

I think the Redline Conquest is one of the most popular 'rain bikes' i.e. winter, here in the NW.

Sorry to hear Colorado is so far behind the touring/everyday rider curve.
Old 08-12-07, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bekologist
We sell buttloads of touring and 'cross' bikes at the shop I work at in the Northwest to dediated bicycle commuters that want wide tire capacity, rackability, fenders and a comfortable ride.

Trek 520s, Bianchi Volpes, Rocky Mountain Sherpas, Redline Conquests, etc.

Not only that, but you can find Long Haul Truckers built up as floor models at likely a half dozen shops locally.

I think the Redline Conquest is one of the most popular 'rain bikes' i.e. winter, here in the NW.

Sorry to hear Colorado is so far behind the touring/everyday rider curve.
I think you guys are just ahead of the curve. I've been in all kinds of bike shops all over the US and seldom see a touring bike. Even in shops along Adventure Cycle routes. In fact, some of the shops didn't even know that they were on an Adventure Cycle route

Old 08-12-07, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I'm having the same problem around the Houston area as well. I'll probably end up with the Randonee or the Cannondale T800. I was thinking about ordering the T800 and try it, through REI and if that doesn't work I'll probably buy the Randonee. I called Cannondale last week to see if I could get the bars up to 42" from the floor. I'll probably find out next week, I hope. If any of you guys has an extra large T800, do you think, if I put an adjustable stem on I could get 42" from the floor to the top of the handlebars?
Old 08-12-07, 12:00 PM
Kamek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I asked about touring bikes, my LBS pointed me to a Klein racing-style bike (I forget which one) they got a while back. :I
Old 08-12-07, 12:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It can be tough for those of you who don't live on the Left Coast. Out here touring and 'cross bikes are easy to find!
Old 08-12-07, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I had that problem. Had to buy my touring bike sight unseen. Glad I approved of the ride after delivery. A good source to check out critical reviews of Touring bikes. Adventure Cycling Magazine. Not one shop in my old county carried so much as one touring bike at the time i was searching for one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.