Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's a good time for a 20-30 mile run?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, and I'm pretty new to biking. Got into it last fall. I used to go everywhere on my bike as a kid and after about a ten year absence I've returned. I'm 19 and a student at UT-Knoxville, and I love riding the greenways around campus. Being a Nashville native, Knoxville has a lot more trails, and most of them interconnect. I'd like to get pretty active on riding to be able to participate in local runs and be able to run with the pack. The only thing is that I don't really know what a good running time is for a 20 or 30 mile ride. My primary goal right now is to be able to get 30 miles inside of 2 hours, but I don't know how this ranks with everything else. What time should I aim for after I hit this mark?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 08-13-07, 06:43 AM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on your bike. I do my 18 mile commute in around 1h40m on a mountain bike with knobby tires.

My bands:
Old 08-13-07, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It also depends on your terrain, weather, and fitness level.
The only valid comparison is between someone else riding on the same route at the same time.
However, tracking your own progress is the best option.

Me: touring or racing road bike on my commute of 28 miles each way is 90 min to 120 min.
Training rides tend to be much quicker for me.
Old 08-13-07, 08:39 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by knoxroadie
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, and I'm pretty new to biking. Got into it last fall. I used to go everywhere on my bike as a kid and after about a ten year absence I've returned. I'm 19 and a student at UT-Knoxville, and I love riding the greenways around campus. Being a Nashville native, Knoxville has a lot more trails, and most of them interconnect. I'd like to get pretty active on riding to be able to participate in local runs and be able to run with the pack. The only thing is that I don't really know what a good running time is for a 20 or 30 mile ride. My primary goal right now is to be able to get 30 miles inside of 2 hours, but I don't know how this ranks with everything else. What time should I aim for after I hit this mark?

Thanks,
Alex

Check out your local cycling club for info. on group rides. The ride leader will post a pace for the ride so people of similar abilities can ride together. Sometimes large group rides will split into faster and slower groups.

You're probably fast enough to ride with a lot of groups but I suggest starting with one with a more recreational pace and shorter distance. That way, you'll be sure to be able to stay with the group and you can learn the etiquette of group riding. Fast groups tend to be very competitive and not too patient with newbie riders, as an inexperienced rider in a fast group/paceline can be dangerous.
Old 08-13-07, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I was riding a Trek 7.2FX and I've migrated to a 1500, which I absolutely love. On my 7.2 I think I was averaging a casual 15 mile run in 45min or so??? I got a Cat Eye Strada Cadence for my 1500, which I'm hoping will help me keep track of things pretty well. I've heard that setting a cadence of 70 or better is a good goal and that it can take strain off of the knees. Is this fairly accurate? My knees have a tendency to hurt more on some rides more than others when I'm riding on the same course both times.
Old 08-13-07, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by knoxroadie
The only thing is that I don't really know what a good running time is for a 20 or 30 mile ride. My primary goal right now is to be able to get 30 miles inside of 2 hours, but I don't know how this ranks with everything else. What time should I aim for after I hit this mark?
30 mph sustained speed is a good benchmark for turning Pro. If you're not turning Pro, what difference does it make?
Old 08-13-07, 11:10 AM
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my 7.2 I think I was averaging a casual 15 mile run in 45min or so???
that's pretty good for casual riding.

on my roadie, i average around 17 mph on rides between 25 and 45 miles. generally, i'm in the 17mph area regardless of terrain or wind. nothing to brag about....but i have fun and its a great workout.