Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Saddle sore in sad spot

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Saddle sore in sad spot

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 07:27 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Saddle sore in sad spot

I just finished my first multi-day tour. I have done several 100km rides in the past. I am riding a Giant tourer 2.0.

I ended up with a bleeding sore just forward of my anus. This made the latter part of the ride a bit miserable. In addition, the riding position left a ;lot of pressure on my wrists.

nay suggestions?
Old 08-13-07, 08:34 AM
Tweaker-Tinkerer

Bikes: Mercian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stay off the saddle while it is healing. In the meantime, get a Brooks B17.
Old 08-13-07, 11:53 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bit of scuffing in the region of the perineum, eh? Let it heal completely, then try a Brooks B17 from Wallbike. You can return it if it doesn't suit you. Leather tends not to abrade if you keep it nice and slick. Do wear some proper bike shorts.

The issue of wrist pain is indicative of improper overall bike fit. You're not giving much info here, so I am supposing that: It's likely that you have your bars too low and possibly your saddle tilted either dead level or down in front. This would cause you to perform an isometric push-up against the bars all day long. Thus, you are forcing the perineum against the peak of the saddle, instead of having your sitbones positioned on the seat portion.

For touring, which is way different than recreational shorter rides, posture is everything. You are essentially living on the bike day after day. If the fit is off, you'll know it by the third day, due to bruising and abrading.