Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for good, cheap bike stand

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK ! I've never owned a bike stand, so off the bat - is it possible to get a good, portable bike stand without breaking the bank ? My local bike shop said it would take them about 1.5 weeks to tune up my bike, which sounds ridiculous to me, so I've decided to do it myself. So I'm looking for a bike stand that will allow me to perform all the general maintenance/repair-type activities on the bike.

What kind of prices should I be expecting ? Any recommendations ?

thanks !

/dogmeat
Old 08-16-07, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in this position a few weeks ago. I was planning to go with the Park PCS-10 "Home Mechanic Repair Stand" but I wasn't too fond of the clamp. I read a bunch of positive feedback about Ultimate stands on the forums, and finally ended up going with the Ultimate Pro Elite for about $192 from JensonUSA.com. This was a bit more than I was looking to spend originally, but I figure it'll last me a while and I really love the clamp on it.

The Park PCS-10 goes for $134, and the Ultimate Pro Classic (which is the same as the Pro Elite but without the nifty clamp mechanism) goes for $139. There is also the Park PCS-9, which I think is fairly popular, at $107. One thing to note is that the clamps on the Parks only appear to extend to 57" in height, where as the Ultimate extends up to 72".

The Ultimate stands use a tripod base and thus fold up very nicely. You can even get a tote bag to carry it around in.
Old 08-16-07, 02:03 PM
~ Going the Distance ~

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's been lots of info about this (use search) but dwango's given you alot.

Basically, imo, you're gonna spend $100+ for a decent stand if you buy one new...there's alot of home made stands using different parts, but the most popular seems to be pvc pipe from home depot. try google about pvc bike stands diy, and also on this forum.

good luck
Old 08-18-07, 08:32 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought mine for $160.00. Its the heavy one sold on REI, I do not remember the brand right away. The same model is sold, but the light version for like $50.00 more. I prefer the first one as it is solid and stable. If one thing I dont do shortcuts is on something that will be holding a $1,000 item.

Its like trying to buy a cheap car jack or support towers, if you know what I mean. Mine is very simlar to the Ultimate Pro, its heavy, but its a rock.

I prefer the tripod stand design.
Old 08-18-07, 05:23 PM

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a thread. DIY Bike Stand
Links to my pics are in post #24 on the first page. Still working great!
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .