Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Carradice vs. Campmor cycling cape/poncho

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

does anybody have any opinions about the Carradice or Campmor rain capes? the carradice is twice the price and i'm sure it's nice, but if the campmor will do the same thing, then i'll go with it. does the campmor one have sleeves? how well do they stay put? how waterproof are they? how well do they cover legs and feet?

thanks.
Old 08-16-07, 06:06 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have both...my Carradice is heavier material than the Campmor. Neither one really has sleeves they are like a big tarp with a hood. They both have the hand loops. The Campmor that I have rolls down to about half the size of the Carradice. It is also bright yellow and has reflective stripes on the back. Neither one is going to keep your legs and feet completely dry in a heavy rain, that is what fenders, mud flaps and spray guards are for. They are both water proof. I have been happy with both. Poncho's are great if the wind isn't high and the rain isn't super heavy, and they are cost effective. Also depending on which Carradice you are looking at they are waxed cotton and the Campmor is coated nylon. Both good products but they are quite different.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-16-07, 07:56 PM
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have the carradice waxed cotton. i bought but returned the carradice 'pro-route' - the lighter, nylon type version.

i like the waxed cotton version. its a bit warm though... so it will be perfect for 3 seasons (spring, winter, fall) riding. its a bit heavy, and i don't think i'd use it for events - but for around town, touring, etc, i'd have it with me.
Old 08-20-07, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks, wahoonc. i think i'll go with the campmor because it's half the price.
Old 08-20-07, 01:48 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nilloc
thanks, wahoonc. i think i'll go with the campmor because it's half the price.
I have a couple of them and keep them in the saddle bags of the bikes that I only ride occasionally, that way they are there if I need them.

I normally use the Carradice in cooler weather, biggest problem to me is that is a dull color, so I try not to plan on using it in heavier traffic.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-20-07, 06:56 PM
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you wear a helmet with these? If so, inside or out?