Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

a day without cars

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

a day without cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-00, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we all should follow the lead Italy has undertaken for starters. One sunday each month NO cars in big (or for that matter)little cities. They are trying it in I believe 20 major cities. Allowing only Public transpotation,and human powered means of transportation on city streets. A great way to bring people back together and they are also trying to see if impacts the pollution level. I say Give It a Try.
Old 02-09-00, 11:27 PM
ir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen! I live in Columbus, Ohio and the Governor is just now talking about expanding bicycle paths. If Columbus were a cycle friendly city, many more would be communitng via their own strength instead of waiting in congestion we mistake for traffic.
Old 02-11-00, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to see somthing like that where i live. The only thing close that our city has ever done, was when i was in highschool, they closed off the parking lot once a month, and made everyone bike, walk, or ride the bus to school... didnt work very well, 50-60 people would ride there bike, alot would walk, but most would just park there car down the street at the local mall...
Old 03-27-00, 10:04 AM
Brandon D Bredo

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Indeed this is wonderful,
how 'bout doing this on a working-weekday.
This is a great start though.

Old 06-11-00, 11:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am outside the metro phoenix area her. the "burbs" where i live is a pretty cycle friendly town, but man the traffic in the mornings , crazy. yes a day wothout cars though, unfortunately is a pipe dream.
Old 08-05-00, 11:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No cars

Man, the big 3 would have a fit. GOOD!!!

I wonder what city could be a test one? Probably a smaller one, or a college town, to draw attention, media, and public support.

Ann Arbor, MI (U of M) is supposedly the only bike friendly town in MI, and they are pretty progesive.

Berkley, CA might also be good, since they embrace new stuff years before everyone else does (at least that is what I have heard).

Any other ideas for a car free day?

I think with enough tenacity, it can be done!!!

-
Old 08-09-00, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I just joined this web site. I don't drive/have a car/have a license. It can take me about 5-15 minutes to cross the highway just to get on to my street. Sometimes I just go up about 1/5 a mile and go where there is no traffic and then go all the way around just to get to the other side of the street just so I can get to my house. That's New Jersey for you. I get beeped at at least 3 times a week. People have no respect here for bicyclists. And only more people are driving. Once your 16-17, say goodbye to bike. Enter the driving world. F----d up.

Peace

Chuck