Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

NY driver sentenced to jail in bicycle death

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 07:50 PM

Bikes: Felt F70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

An interesting case from Albany, NY.

"www.capitalnews9.com

Woman sentenced in fatal accident
Updated: 8/16/2007 1:16:13 PM
By: Erin Billups

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Feura Bush woman who pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular manslaughter in the death of a bicyclist last summer was sentenced Thursday morning. Darlene Kawczak, 52, was sentenced to six months in the Albany County jail.

Kawczak hit and killed Joel Melnikoff, 49, of Bethlehem as he rode his bicycle on July 3, 2006 along Route 32 in Bethlehem. She was charged with DWI and admitted to having several beers prior. But tests later showed it wasn't the alcohol that was the problem. She was under the influence of the sleeping pill, Ambien.

At Thursday's sentencing, the victim's family shared their pain through a statement read by a sergeant from Albany County's Stop DWI Program.

Sgt. Lenny Crouch said, "He didn't deserve to lose his life in this way from someone still in denial about the part she played in robbing my children of their father. And the system was sometimes more supportive of her than her victims."

Judge Stephen Herrick said he agrees with the Melnikoffs that Kawczak is in denial that she committed a crime.

In Kawczak's statement read by her lawyer, she apologized for what she referred to as a mistake.

Attorney Andrew Safranko said, "I feel you should know as a family that I never meant for any of this to happen. I would do anything humanly possible to take it back and give you the one thing your hearts ache for."

Because this is the first Ambien-related fatality in New York State, the judge, prosecutor and the victim's family thought it would be best to make an example of Kawczak, so it doesn't happen again.

Chief Assistant District Attorney Mark Harris said, "With a jail sentence, with a term of probation, with a condition that this defendant speak to groups, speak out publicly about the dangers of taking this and driving, making them aware, I thought was the important message to get out."

Wife Susan Melnikoff said, "With her treatment she'll be able to share what she knows and pay it forward, prevent another accident like this from happening. That's what Joel would have known to be true."

Following her six-month sentence Kawczak will have five years probation and 160 hours of community service..

Copyright © 2007 TWEAN d.b.a. Capital News 9"
Old 08-17-07, 10:59 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
So she decides to take sleeping pills and washes them down with beer, gets behind the wheel, kills someone and 6 months is supposed to be an example? and example of what? that if you kill someone do it with a car? what a joke.
Old 08-17-07, 11:40 PM
Arrogant Safety Nanny

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.2 FX, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 month sentence would convert to about 3 months of actual county jail time where I am due to overcrowding...that's just a slap on the wrist. DUI of anything (including sleeping pills or a combination of sleeping pills and "a few drinks") and killing somebody with your vehicle is a felony in California...I'd hope she'd at least get some state prison time if she'd done that here.
Old 08-18-07, 02:01 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A harsher sentence would be to revoke her license permanently.
Old 08-18-07, 03:28 AM
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um, yeah. I wish they'd blood tested her. There's only one reason you take Ambiens (and TWO of them) at 10:30 in the morning, and that's because you're tweaking. Too bad Melnikoff wasn't jogging instead, then she would have gotten some real jail time.

I've already written the TU. Anyone want to ghost bike David Soares' office? Sometimes I can't believe I campaigned for that ****er.
Old 08-18-07, 11:15 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffB502
6 month sentence would convert to about 3 months of actual county jail time where I am due to overcrowding...that's just a slap on the wrist. DUI of anything (including sleeping pills or a combination of sleeping pills and "a few drinks") and killing somebody with your vehicle is a felony in California...I'd hope she'd at least get some state prison time if she'd done that here.
She's not the only one drving like that.
https://www.mercola.com/blog/2006/mar...paired_zombies
Old 08-18-07, 01:39 PM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take away her license. Make her ride a bike.
Old 08-18-07, 01:54 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, some example. Six months for killing someone. That's really going to make her think before she goes out and kills someone again.

Originally Posted by e2py
An interesting case from Albany, NY.

Because this is the first Ambien-related fatality in New York State, the judge, prosecutor and the victim's family thought it would be best to make an example of Kawczak, so it doesn't happen again.