Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

HELP! Need advice on a new bike.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to biking and I need some advice on buying a new bike. I did some casual biking when I was a kid and during high school but have not biked in a while. I'm a 24, 5'6" 130lbs male who's looking for a hybrid bike mainly for commuting to and from school/downtown (both about 20-30 minute bike rides) and well as for some light off-road trails. I'm not looking to race or do anything off trail that would require a heavy duty mountain bike. Also, I live near the Seattle/Vancouver area so we receive lots of days with light rain if that makes any difference. After shopping around a little, I've narrowed my search to four bikes:

(KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS SO THE PRICE MAY LOOK A LITTLE INFLATED):

Giant Cypress DX - $500
Cannondale Adventure 400 - $550 (on sale from $650)
Trek 7.2FX - $520
Trek 7.3FX - $570

Which do you think is the best deal for the type of bike I'm looking for? Thanks!
Old 08-18-07, 06:19 PM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive seen the Trek bike... that's a really nice bike
Old 08-18-07, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Giant Cypress DX (the 2005 model... I think). Although I recently upgraded to a Giant OCR1 and now have my Cypress as my old beater, it's a fine bike. It withstood over a year of fairly heavy riding without many problems (erm... a broken spoke at one point is about it), and I didn't generally slow down much for bumps and hopped off tons and tons of curbs. I used it almost entirely for city riding, but what little off-road I have done it seemed decent (except trying to stop on wet grass going down a hill, but I think I would have needed retro rockets for that). Recommended.
Old 08-19-07, 11:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I've decided to hold off getting bike until I've been biking a bit more and so can gauge how much I should pay for my bike (in other words, the more I'm using the bike the better bike I'd be willing to get). I'll just use my girlfriend's Norco Olympia in the meantime.

Went for a 45 minute bike ride for the 1st time in a few years and had a bit of trouble getting up this one hill. Need to get into biking form!