Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Things I've learned---CO2 inflators

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 11:18 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Bought one of those CO2 inflators because "logic" and advertising told me they were lighter, more compact and quicker to use. It was one of those inflator/mini pump combos. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Here's what I learned: filling your tire with the CO2 will work until the CO2 leaks right through the tube and you are down on psi again. The mini pump is more mini than pump. The threaded cartridges are pretty expensive. There is a possibility that the CO2 cartridge can blow the chuck right out of the inflator head destroying your inflator's metering mechanism. Happened to me yesterday at mile 32 of a 52 mile ride. From now on there will always be a frame pump on my bike.
Old 08-19-07, 11:31 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I use the twist on/twist off Innovation co2 adapter. Never had issues and has always gotten me back home. I might use 2 co2 cartridges a year so for me it not's a big deal.
Old 08-19-07, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by jppe
I use the twist on/twist off Innovation co2 adapter. Never had issues and has always gotten me back home. I might use 2 co2 cartridges a year so for me it not's a big deal.
My gf has the Innovation and I agree it's simpler than the Second Wind that I just destroyed. Unfortunately, I've had 4 flats in the past week after not having one all season.
Old 08-19-07, 12:01 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I always carry my full frame pump on the road. I've never had to borrow anyone's CO2 inflator when my pump wouldn't work, but I have loaned my pump to people with inflator problems a few times. On the other hand, I carry an inflator and cartridges on the MTB. On the few occasions I've needed it, it worked fine.

One thing for sure, mini-pumps are more work than pushing a bike.
Old 08-19-07, 12:02 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get one of the Innovations "trigger" models.

They work great, allow you to partially inflate your tube, and can use the much cheaper non-threaded CO2 cartridges. I typically carry one cartridge in the inflator, plus 2 more in my minimalist seat bag.

With 3 cartridges and a spare tube, I've never been stranded in the last 30,000+ miles of cycling (except for one or two instances where the tire was cut so badly it couldn't hold a tube).
Old 08-19-07, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Full size Zefal frame pumps for me. HP and HPX have never failed. I've never felt the need to use CO2 or mini pumps.

The evolution of "on bike" inflation devices, in my opinion, has been going backwards. It should end with a full size frame pump. Marketing strikes again.
Old 08-19-07, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I carry both the CO2 as well as a frame pump. I only had to use the CO2 on a Bontrager tire once. Now that I don't use those tires, I've been flat free. I know I shouldn't say that, because if I head out to the garage right now, I'll probably looking at one.
Old 08-19-07, 12:49 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Everytime someone uses a CO2 cartridge, Al Gore kills a kitten.
Old 08-19-07, 01:04 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
actually he has stopped killing kittens now! He is requiring all cyclists to buy carbon offsets
Old 08-19-07, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I never see kittens around here anymore. I believe they are being held hostage by some wacko political group. Everywhere I go there are signs in front yards - "FREE KITTENS".
Old 08-19-07, 01:33 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
Bought one of those CO2 inflators because "logic" and advertising told me they were lighter, more compact and quicker to use. It was one of those inflator/mini pump combos. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Here's what I learned: filling your tire with the CO2 will work until the CO2 leaks right through the tube and you are down on psi again. The mini pump is more mini than pump. The threaded cartridges are pretty expensive. There is a possibility that the CO2 cartridge can blow the chuck right out of the inflator head destroying your inflator's metering mechanism. Happened to me yesterday at mile 32 of a 52 mile ride. From now on there will always be a frame pump on my bike.
There is a recall for these inflators.

recall info

They say:
"The unit can shatter while under pressure while inflating tires."

I guess you can confirm that.
Old 08-19-07, 01:43 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have always resisted the Call for these modern gadgets. I have a pump fitted to all of my bikes but I am now convinced that I have taken the right choice. Yesterday and in the LBS and someone came in for a Frame pump- carrying his bike. Ultra lightweight Go faster Italian thing is bright red. He got a puncture about 3 miles away and could not inflate his tyre with the CO2 unit he had fitted to the bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-19-07, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
Get one of the Innovations "trigger" models.

It was a "trigger" model that blew apart as I was using it. In fact, after the chuck blew out of the head, the trigger and spring behind it fell out too.
Old 08-19-07, 02:19 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a "trigger" model that blew apart as I was using it. In fact, after the chuck blew out of the head, the trigger and spring behind it fell out too.
I saw this happen to a rider on a recent bike tour. He had a trigger model and it blew apart when he tried to use it. Fortunately one of the other riders had a frame pump to get him going again. I carry C02 and a frame pump. I just don't want to get caught out on the road unprepared.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-19-07, 02:38 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dogbait
There is a recall for these inflators.

recall info

They say:
"The unit can shatter while under pressure while inflating tires."
The product fails in performing the only task it was designed to do??

Kinda like having a ladder that works just fine, until someone steps on it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-19-07, 02:42 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird...I've used several of their models over the last 10 years and given several to friends as presents. Never once have I had a problem like that (or, any other problems with them).
Old 08-19-07, 03:44 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I never see kittens around here anymore. I believe they are being held hostage by some wacko political group. Everywhere I go there are signs in front yards - "FREE KITTENS".
Old 08-19-07, 03:52 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Full size Zefal frame pumps for me. HP and HPX have never failed. I've never felt the need to use CO2 or mini pumps.

The evolution of "on bike" inflation devices, in my opinion, has been going backwards. It should end with a full size frame pump. Marketing strikes again.
I concur completely.

Bianchi & Capo #1: Zefal HP-X
Capo #2: Mt. Zefal; anachronistic, but it fits between the downtube pegs
UO-8: Blackburn, which fits between the downtube pegs
Schwinn: Mt. Zefal (fits original braze-on pump peg on back of seat tube)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-19-07, 04:26 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope I haven't made a mistake with the air pump I got for my ti-bike: It is a "Titan One", made by Barbieri.
* 142 PSI ... albeit after a couple of kazillion pumps.
* Weight: 75 grams
* Length: 23 cm

I read good write-ups about this one, as far as mini-pumps go. Anybody familiar with the Barbieri Titan One?
Old 08-19-07, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Your experience is similar to my own. Tried it, didn't like the result. With the frame pumps on the market today, I can't think of any reason not to carry one.
Old 08-19-07, 10:40 PM

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been using the microflate, https://www.genuineinnovations.com/mo...=8&prodid=1016, for 5years, I haven’t had any problems with it. As far as the CO2 leaking out, the tire might be slightly down the next day. I’ve never had the unit fail me and I’ve never had a tire go soft during a ride. I use the 16g cartridges and they fill my tires, 700X25, to 110 psi. I carry 2 tubes, 5 cartridges and a patch kit, the only reason is because I do double and triples. I had my first flat in almost a year Friday, it was when I took my bike down off the wall (d#&& goathead).
Old 08-20-07, 05:37 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by DanteB
I’ve been using the microflate, https://www.genuineinnovations.com/mo...=8&prodid=1016, for 5years, I haven’t had any problems with it. As far as the CO2 leaking out, the tire might be slightly down the next day. I’ve never had the unit fail me and I’ve never had a tire go soft during a ride.
In my case, I top my tires off before every ride, so it's a self-limiting problem - CO2 out and fresh air goes in.

Old 08-20-07, 05:46 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use to carry a road morph but with the new bike it was too difficult to find a good mounting place and I hate carrying pumps in my pockets to I went back to CO2. For me it is a lot easier to carry a inflater and three 16g cartridges in my seat pack. The 16g will fill a tire up to 120psi and I use one that can use either screw on or non-threaded cartridges. If I use CO2 I always empty the tire when I get home and refill with my floor pump. CO2 does not last as long as air.

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-20-07, 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=DanteB;5103323]................ As far as the CO2 leaking out, the tire might be slightly down the next day. I’ve never had the unit fail me and I’ve never had a tire go soft during a ride. I use the 16g cartridges and they fill my tires, 700X25, to 110 psi. .......... QUOTE]

I've been using the 16oz cartridge too. The first time I used a cartridge was on a 25 mi. ride. I was about 5-6 mi. from home. The next day the tire was down to about 80 psi. I run them at 120 psi. This most recent event happened on a 55 mi. ride when I was at mile 30. About 10 mi. later my tire was soft enough that I had to stop and pump it up with my gf's frame pump.

What I'd really like to find is that frame pump that folds out like a floor pump but I've forgotten the brand.
Old 08-20-07, 06:54 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I'd really like to find is that frame pump that folds out like a floor pump but I've forgotten the brand.
The road morph is probably the best frame type pump you can buy. It has a small foot that folds out and uses a tube for connecting the chuck to the valve and has a pressure gauge. It not very large either and most people give it best marks. I loved mine but just had no place to mount it on my bike since I have two cages on the down tubes and it interfered with the cables on the top tube

2013 Noah RS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.