Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

handlebar bag, seat post rack/bag...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 12:23 PM

Bikes: cannondale topstone, caad 10, trek superfly, bike friday pocket rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
handlebar bag, seat post rack/bag...

should i bring one or both or neither for my first century? (well, first in 20 years or so)
i think there is a planned stop for lunch half way or so, but how much food/other stuff should i bring with me? maybe just a large saddle bag?

the ride is on the natchez trace starting in franklin/nashville with three or four other guys. i'm told its mostly flat but i've not ridden it yet myself.
thanks!
Old 08-20-07, 06:17 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends. Will you need lots of layers to deal with changing temps? Then maybe yes. Me? I'll take my Camelbak, seat bag and jersey pockets.
Old 08-20-07, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Profile-Design E-Pack
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
Bento Box
https://www.onetri.com/bento-bike-p-2478.h
https://www.onetri.com/bento-bike-lar...6798ed1f993461
Old 08-20-07, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 3 day Montreal-New York in May of last year with just the 100oz Camel-back. If I'd do it again, I'd go with a beamrack. I just bought one btw (Topeak RX-DXP) and figured out it was not recommended for a carbon seat-post. Is it really ? Anyone is using this ?
Old 08-20-07, 08:53 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I'd start by figuring out how much gear to bring, then how to carry it. The big question is how often are you willing and able to stop for food and water.

Let's assume you will be riding for 7 hours. You'll want to consume 250 calories and 500 - 750 ml of water (or energy drink) per hour. Plus, you should bring an extra tube, patch kit, a pump (and/or co2), cell phone, ID or insurance info and a multi-tool.

If you have 2 water bottles and stop every 2 hours, then you only need to carry 2-3 energy bars or snacks with you. Should be fine with a saddle bag and jersey pockets, or a small handlebar bag.

If you think you will need a jacket, I'd consider using a rack bag and carry an extra water bottle as well.

Personally I wouldn't put too much weight onto a rack that attaches to carbon seatstays; they normally aren't designed for those types of stresses. If you are talking about 10-15 lbs once a month, though, I don't think it's a problem.
Old 08-20-07, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the weather is good and you have places to stop to get water and snacks you can get by with 1 large seat wedge bag and two water bottles on the bike. This is what I did last week and it works well. I carried no Camelback and it is a lot more comfortable and less hot.

Carry in wedge bag, small pump and patch kit. Small tools. Cell phone, some petty cash and ID. Couple of energy bars and a large medicine bottle full of powdered Perpetuem or Heed to resupply the bike bottles. Have both water bottles full of Heed when you start. The biggest medicine bottle you can fit in the bag the better so you can mix more Perpetuem.

I carry small MP3 player and ID and money in a small digital camera case in my rear jersey pocket. It becomes kind of a wallet that zips close when I stop to buy something and is easy to get in and out without getting inside the bike bag. Also, if the bike gets ripped off you don't have your ID and money on the bike. A couple a small bags of honey roasted or salted nuts is good to carry in your jersey pocket to.
Old 08-20-07, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What time of year are you going?
Old 08-20-07, 05:51 PM

Bikes: cannondale topstone, caad 10, trek superfly, bike friday pocket rocket

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
these are great suggestions. i think i'll pick up the profile designs/bento bag for extra bars etc. maybe a larger seatbag.

the trip is over labor day weekend.
i'll look into Heed. i've never heard of that before...
for a training i did a long (70 miles, 9000 of elevation gain) yesterday here in LA. HOT. i ended up stuffing my jersey pockets with extra water and gatorade. all i ate was a powerbar and a banana. i was out of gas at the end, but still riding well.
thanks so much for all the suggestions. i didn't really want to bring a handlebar bag or have to fiddle with a seatpost rack.
Old 08-20-07, 11:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A rack is inefficient dead weight for such small loads. If you need some extra capacity for a long-sleeved jersey or a rain jacket, then how about a small fanny pack?