Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stolen Specialized Seat & Seatpost

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-19-07, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe that someone would steal my seat and seatpost. My mountain bike is over 15 years old!

Here's my question --

What's my options when it comes to getting a new seat & seatpost? I went to Specialized.com and the only seatpost available was $155!!!

I bought my Specialized Rock Hopper mountain bike in 1992. I'd rather not buy a new bike!
Old 08-19-07, 03:49 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
You can get a $10 seatpost at your LBS. Just neeeds to be the right size. A seat, another $10-$20.
Old 08-19-07, 03:53 PM

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep... just make sure you buy the right size. Chances are, it's either a 26.8 or a 27.2 seatpost.
Old 08-19-07, 03:56 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
take the bike with you. go to lbs. ask them if they have a used/take off bin. go through it and find a used/take off post and seat.
Old 08-19-07, 04:15 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can go to pretty much any LBS. Seatposts are almost universal, and bike parts in general can be interchanged between almost every bike brand. Bikes are not cars or appliances.

Not to bust your chops too much. Take your bike to a shop and they should measure the inner diameter of the seat tube with a caliper, then get you the correct size.
Old 08-19-07, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might consider replacing the seat post clamp also. On my commuter I put a non quick release clamp on it when I got my Brooks. It cost like $4. I park outside locked to a bike rack and figured it would take all of 2 seconds to flip the quick release and remove the seat with post attached. This probably means it will take 10 seconds now, but at least the thief would need the right tool. I also see bikes that have bike chains threaded through the seat rails and around the top tube to keep the seat attached, run that through a little heat shrink tubing and it wouldn't scratch your bike.
Old 08-19-07, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BTW, LBS is short for local bike shop.
Old 08-20-07, 04:45 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bfromcolo
You might consider replacing the seat post clamp also. On my commuter I put a non quick release clamp on it when I got my Brooks. [...] it will take 10 seconds now, but at least the thief would need the right tool. I also see bikes that have bike chains threaded through the seat rails and around the top tube to keep the seat attached, run that through a little heat shrink tubing and it wouldn't scratch your bike.
I just had my seat post and Brooks stolen by someone with a multitool. These tools are so common nowadays and easy to carry, allen bolts are not much of a deterrent any more. Following advice from here and local Forums I now have a piece of metal superglued in the seat post clamp bolt head (and in the saddle clamp bolt as well). It's not like I'm adjusting the seat daily in any case, having spent some time to get it just right. A would-be thief now needs acetone, time and the multitool.

I also thought about running a cable or chain through the seat rails as an alternative to the glue method. Chain is too bulky and heavy IMO, and cable can be cut easily. I seem to remember seeing some kind of locking device, installed inside the frame, running cables to saddle rails inside the seat tube. I think such hidden cables might be better than visible ones. Maybe even attach a laminated note to cable in seat tube, saying "Smile... you're on Candid Camera" or something to that effect.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 08-20-07, 05:12 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 1999 Kona Nunu, 2007 KHS Alite 3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always just take the saddle and post off, and bring it with me. A bike without a saddle is even further deterrent to a thief.

If I park my bike outside (which isn't very often) anything that isn't nailed down is removed or cabled.
Old 08-20-07, 05:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all that responded to my post. I'm heading off to my LBS this afternoon to get hooked up.