Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bicycle Storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 08:10 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle Storage

How do you store your bike in your garage/house/apartment?

Currently we have 4 bikes and I am planning on buying another one tomorrow. I need a cheap, but practical way to store 4 bikes to take up minimal space, but to also allow everyone easy access to their bike in the garage.

Pictures or actual brand names would be greatly appreciated.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 08-22-07, 08:16 PM
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My garage is detached from the house, at the end of the backyard, facing the alley so I am not putting my bikes in it.

The kids bikes are in the garage on kickstands. They are just your every day Xmarts. My HardRock sleeps next to my computer desk and the Schwinn lives most of its life in the basement.
Old 08-22-07, 08:17 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Vinyl coated hooks, screw into the wall studs in the garage and hang the bikes and you have an instant bike hanging system. around $5 or less a hook, 2 per Bike.

You can also add an eye bolt to chain the bikes to for greater theft resistance.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-22-07, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bikes with kick stand, just sit any where in the garage. My Pilot hangs on an cheap car rack that I've attached to a pole in my garage. I just strap the frame to the carrier and it doubles as a work stand.
Old 08-22-07, 09:20 PM

Bikes: Road & Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 3 of these in the garage

https://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000077CPK

They work great and pretty cheap.
Old 08-23-07, 01:40 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.spacesavers.com/4bikerack.html

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...torage%20Racks
Old 08-23-07, 02:27 AM
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one in my laundry room & one in my bedroom. I just lean them against the wall - seems to be working out ok so far (though I do have tire marks on my walls now).

I may pick up one of those gravity stands when I move though - I'm going to try to keep all my bikes in the spare bedroom when I get my new place.

-DR
Old 08-23-07, 06:19 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a detached garage, but I also would like to use it and not have a complete stall used for my dirt bikes and my bicycles. I have the kids' bikes hanging on the cheap Wal-Mart hooks, but it becomes a pain to take them down when they want to ride them, because they are not tall enough to reach them and definitely not strong enough to put them up or take them down from a 9'6" ceiling height.

I like some of those stands, and will probably look at my LBS and see what they recommend. I may just weld something up for my dirt bikes and the bicycles, but I am not sure I want something that permanent. Keep the ideas coming.
Old 08-23-07, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tied lengths of light and soft rope from the joists and put an open loop on the loose end. Then I drove a big nail into the side of the joist that I can hook the loop over. To hang the bike I just put the rope under the stem or seatpost and lift the loop onto the nail.
The bikes hang away from the wall and off the floor. If I want to put a bunch of them in a close area I can hang them alternating by their stems or seatposts, this way the bars don't bash into each other. It basically the same as using the rubber coated hooks but it is easier to get the bikes on and there is no risk of damaging anything.
Old 08-23-07, 07:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have a picture you could email me of your rope setup? I am seriously thinking of welding something up that will work for my motorcycles also. I now have 5 bicycles and 4 motorcycles and will pick up another motorcycle in a week. Something is going to have to be sold shortly before I become unemployed and divorced. :-)

plamb AT mchsi DOT com
Old 08-24-07, 09:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I don't have a picture but I may be able to describe it better.

I tried googling rope to hang bike and came up with this interesting link
https://www.instructables.com/id/EZLP9OG6NAEXCFJZ5G, maybe that would serve your purpose.

Mine is really simple in comparison but serves the purpose and fits the spot I have it. The key to it working for me is that where I hang the bike I have exposed floor joists.
All you would need to do to make one is get a length of rope and two strong nails. Put one nail in each side of the joist angled up a bit and more or less at the same height. Make a loop in each side of the rope and hang one loop over a nail. Run the rope under the stem and lift the free loop up over the nail on the other side of the joist. I hang the next bike by it's seatpost so the bars don't get tangled up with the other bike(s). It is incredibly simple but it works. The drawback is that there is no chance that the kids could get their bikes down if I hung them up and my wife would likely need to stand on a box as she is much shorter than I am. You may want to leave enough rope that the rear wheel of the bike just touches the ground otherwise they swing around if you bump them.
Old 08-24-07, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
How do you store your bike in your garage/house/apartment?

Currently we have 4 bikes and I am planning on buying another one tomorrow. I need a cheap, but practical way to store 4 bikes to take up minimal space, but to also allow everyone easy access to their bike in the garage.

Pictures or actual brand names would be greatly appreciated.
My bike is locked in the garage to a big old (decommissioned) refrigerator, under a tarp, if you want to take the bike, you need to move a whole whack of old crap in the garage in order to make room to move that refrigerator enough to get at the chain bolted to the back. My regular bike lock goes through the chain, and through both wheels.

The reason for the tarp, if you can't see it, you can't steal it. I suppose a bike rack chained to the fridge would also work. If you own the garage, and don't have any decommissioned large appliances handy you could get a big heavy duty U bolt, make a nice hole in the floor large enough to hold the U bolt, also get about 2m of heavy duty hardened chain, and one of those unbreakable security locks. Now you take the U bolt and put a plate across the end, and bolt that in place, put the U bolt upside down into the hole, so only about 5cm sticks out, mix up enough cement, and fill in the hole, wet down the edges so it doesn't suck the water out of your fresh cement. Let it harden, nobody is going to get at that U bolt, unless they bust the floor up. Now you place your rack over the bolt, run the chain through the bolt, the chain goes through the frame of each bike, use some lengths of old inner tube to prevent scratches, the security lock then locks the chain into a loop. Use your regular bike lock to lock the wheels to the frame.

Optionally if your rack is relatively solid and well made, you could use a shorter chain, and simply chain the rack to the U bolt instead. Lock each bike to the rack in that case, so that the frame and both wheels are locked together and to the rack.

You can never prevent theft completely, even a vault can be broken into, but you can make it hard to do so quickly and quietly. The last thing a thief wants, is you showing up with the scatter gun asking "What the $#@! do you think your doing?" Worse yet (for the thief), the local constabulary showing up, asking the same question.