Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Ironman WI as a race fan

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Ironman WI as a race fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 01:53 AM

Bikes: Rock Lobster, Serotta Coeur d'Acier, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Highplains, Raligh Marathon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ironman WI as a race fan

I am thinking of driving to Madison WI (2 hours from chicago) Sunday September 9th as a fan with my camera to photograph athletes pursuit their dreams. Is the race set up so spectators can see the bike and the run with minimal moving around?
Old 08-26-07, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can say the Placid was kind for photographers but that is probably the most remote
most of the serious folks picked a single good location (perhaps 30-40 feet from a turn) and used long
if you have zoom you should have no problems finding a spot
Old 08-26-07, 09:08 PM
1 trick pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when I did it in 2002, they had a shuttle to take folks out to the bike course to watch, which was really cool. So you should be able to see a lot of it.
Old 09-04-07, 06:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best place to see the bike portion is in Verona (about 8-10 miles from the swim/bike transition point), a small town southwest of Madison. There is a nice turn where the bikers emerge from a hill and then turn right onto the Main St of town. There are lots of spectators there and a nice "professional" race feel to it. The bike portion is two 40 mile loops with a "tail" to get out of town. However, the run portion is pretty compact in the downtown Madison area. You can get the route map at ironmanwisconsin.com. I suppose if you don't want to move around much you will want to set up for the bike portion a little southeast of the city (where the loop portion starts) and then head back to the campus/capital/Monona Terrace area for the running. That would probably be about a 5-6 mile ride to each location.