Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island...Where the hills at?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey guys, I am looking for some good (as best as I can get. I dont expect the Alps) climbs on Long Island. As of now I haven't found any ( I am on the south shore). I am willing to get it my car and go somewhere because I WANT to ride some hills.

If you know of any let me know. Thanks
Old 08-24-07, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, well, you're not going to find any hills to speak of on the South Shore. These are in the Oyster Bay / Huntington area: Moore's Hill Road, Lawrence Hill Road, Snake Hill Road, Hartmann Hill Road. Trust this will get you going . . .
Old 08-24-07, 07:11 PM
on your left!

Bikes: n+1 where n= # of current bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are no big hills on long island- the highest point on long island is 401 feet at a place called Jane's point.
Old 08-24-07, 08:59 PM
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long Island Hills
Old 08-25-07, 12:28 AM
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you want a hilly route, ride either the 55, 70 or 100 mile Gold Coast route, it's the hilliest route that i know of on LI. the 55 mile route has about 3900 feet of climbing, and the 100 mile route has about 6500 feet of climbing, as per garmin readings this year. it starts by leaving the BAE Systems parking lot, in Greenlawn, and it's marked on the street so you don't need a cue sheet...
Old 08-26-07, 05:05 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
if you want a hilly route, ride either the 55, 70 or 100 mile Gold Coast route, it's the hilliest route that i know of on LI. the 55 mile route has about 3900 feet of climbing, and the 100 mile route has about 6500 feet of climbing, as per garmin readings this year. it starts by leaving the BAE Systems parking lot, in Greenlawn, and it's marked on the street so you don't need a cue sheet...

Does that follow 25a east? How well marked are the streets? Is this the start address BAE Systems -
5 Cuba Hill Rd, Greenlawn, NY
Old 08-26-07, 03:25 PM
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jynx
Does that follow 25a east? How well marked are the streets? Is this the start address BAE Systems -
i am not familiar with the roads, i usually never ride out there, so i can't help you with that one. the roads are well marked, just keep an eye out for the GC and an arrow in red, but there's one marking in the first few miles that you have to look for. i still have the cue sheets from the 55 and 70, i can scan them and PM them to you if you want, just let me know if you want them...

and check this URL for the directions to the starting point, it's not the same address that you have...

https://huntingtonbicycleclub.org/document/94104

Last edited by FIVE ONE SIX; 08-26-07 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 05:52 PM
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gold Coast goes WEST from the start. No need to go to the start. If you want hills, start in Cold Spring Harbor and go west. Head towards Oyster Bay and then head out from there. Enjoy!
Old 08-26-07, 06:47 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
i am not familiar with the roads, i usually never ride out there, so i can't help you with that one. the roads are well marked, just keep an eye out for the GC and an arrow in red, but there's one marking in the first few miles that you have to look for. i still have the cue sheets from the 55 and 70, i can scan them and PM them to you if you want, just let me know if you want them...

and check this URL for the directions to the starting point, it's not the same address that you have...

https://huntingtonbicycleclub.org/document/94104
GC?

If you have the cue sheets I would really appreciate it if you could send them to me.

And thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by Eureka
The Gold Coast goes WEST from the start. No need to go to the start. If you want hills, start in Cold Spring Harbor and go west. Head towards Oyster Bay and then head out from there. Enjoy!
If you start in greenlawn and go west you cant go 100 miles in that direction and stay anywhere on long island. From there website they have a 12, 25, 55, 70, and 100 mile course. Are they loops? I would assume the 100 mile course goes 50 miles west then comes back to the start place?
Old 08-26-07, 07:54 PM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hey guys, I am looking for some good (as best as I can get. I dont expect the Alps) climbs on Long Island. As of now I haven't found any ( I am on the south shore). I am willing to get it my car and go somewhere because I WANT to ride some hills.

If you know of any let me know. Thanks
Hmmm.....Berkshires in MA.
Old 08-26-07, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I've never seen an on-line cue sheet for the GC, and I've only ever done the 55. If I can find a printed cue sheet, I'll try a scan to Adobe, no promises though. The Huntington Bike Club doesn't seem to keep the cue sheets on their website, either (shame).

All the GC routes are loops, as the ride starts and finishes where you park your car.

In general, the 55 thru 100 mile GC routes head north to Centerport, then west thru Huntington, Oyster Bay, Mill Neck, Locust Valley, Glen Cove, Seacliff, then south to a rest stop in Roslyn. The 55 then heads south towards the LIE, then east thru Westbury, continuing on to Huntington and back to the finish in Greenlawn.

The 75 and 100 do additional loops thru Great Neck and Port Washington, before re-joining the 55, then do additional stuff in the West Hills area.

Thus the distance.

It's also pretty much non-stop hills after the initial down hill to Centerport Harbor, except for the last 5 miles or so thru South Huntington, thus the elevation gained as noted in an earlier post.

FWIW, the north shore of Long Island, from Great Neck in the west, to Pt. Jeff. in the east, is hilly enough. Not Vermont style in terms of steep AND long, but it's certainly possible, if you know the area well enough, to do a punishing set of non-stop steep little climbs, one after the other, for a hundred miles if so desired.

SB.
Old 08-26-07, 10:51 PM
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GC?

If you have the cue sheets I would really appreciate it if you could send them to me.

And thanks for the link.
here's my friends Garmin stats for the 100 mile ride. he said his Garmin shut down right before the end though, so make a right at Pulaski Road where it ends on the map, and that will take you back to the parking lot and start/end of the ride...

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=3249637

and as far as the cue sheets go, it's going to take a few days for me to get them to you, so please be patient...
Old 08-27-07, 03:59 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yea no rush dont worry
Old 08-27-07, 07:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From what I've seen of Eastern LI, all the hills are on the extreme north shore, north of 25a. There are some steep ones, but nothing really big, long, and tough. The only other hills that are worthy of being called hills are two hills all the way out on Montauk Point, and those are only about 150-200' of vertical.

If you want hills, hop the Port Jeff Ferry. No lack of hills on our side of the sound.
Old 08-27-07, 01:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Hmmm.....Berkshires in MA.
Exactly what I was thinking. Upstate NY.
Old 08-27-07, 01:47 PM

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hills on LI are short but steep. If you look at that link you will see "Moore's Hill" for example there is a part that is 26% which looks like a wall and the whole hill averages 12% which is a lot but it is relatively short. There are very few hills that are over half a mile with a decent incline.

If you want to do the Gold Coast route you can start at the back of the BAE Systems lot and follow the markings on the roads. The ride was about 2 months ago and the markings are still pretty clear on the pavement. You don't have to decide whether you want to do the 55, 70, or 100 until you are pretty well into the ride as the rides share the same roads. Hardly anyone who did that ride, myself included, needed to look at the cue sheets. I have my own mini suffer route where I have Moore, Snake and Avery (which is not on the list but should be) on a 53 mile route.
Old 08-28-07, 06:16 AM
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geraldatwork
The hills on LI are short but steep. If you look at that link you will see "Moore's Hill" for example there is a part that is 26% which looks like a wall and the whole hill averages 12% which is a lot but it is relatively short. There are very few hills that are over half a mile with a decent incline.

If you want to do the Gold Coast route you can start at the back of the BAE Systems lot and follow the markings on the roads. The ride was about 2 months ago and the markings are still pretty clear on the pavement. You don't have to decide whether you want to do the 55, 70, or 100 until you are pretty well into the ride as the rides share the same roads. Hardly anyone who did that ride, myself included, needed to look at the cue sheets. I have my own mini suffer route where I have Moore, Snake and Avery (which is not on the list but should be) on a 53 mile route.
You should toss in Lawrence and Stillwell to your mini suffer ride. I'm still fine tuning my suffer ride that includes Stillwell, Lawrence, Moore, Sagamore, Snake and I want to Mill. It also with include either the Hatchery or 25A, still working it all out.
Old 08-28-07, 06:24 AM
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
others on the South Fork
Great Hill Road, Southampton, New York
Middle Line Highway, Southampton, New York

If you are serious about hill climbing, you have to get off LI at least once a month for a couple of days
Old 08-28-07, 08:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Curt Kurt
If you are serious about hill climbing, you have to get off LI at least once a month for a couple of days
I wish!!!

Good info. in this thread though.

I would love to do a ride from LI to Alpine on the other side of the GW. I've done this where I drove to Brooklyn and rode with some of the guys from Brooklyn, it would be cool to do this from LI.
Old 09-04-07, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Road Bike, Bike Friday Folding Bike, Specialized Hardrock Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
extremely tough

Don't forget Snake Hill Road in Cold Spring Harbor
Old 10-06-13, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FTR: Truly unpleasant suffer climb

Don't forget this wall ... see about mile 11 on the graphic below.

Mill Hill Rd. going from east in Oyster Bay headed west toward Chicken Valley
Maybe only 200 ft, but it's compressed into around 26% in places according to others' instruments... I was not looking at my Garmin when my legs stopped rotating. I haven't walked part of a road climb in years; this one stopped me in my tracks.

https://www.h2omen.com/roadcycling/Mi...2013-09-29.png
Old 10-06-13, 12:41 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My favorite hilly road is Middle Line Highway west of Sag Harbor.
Old 05-08-16, 10:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oyster Bay Mile-High: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13018933

Cue: https://snuggl.es/roboviva/pdfs/13018933.pdf

I've done most of this, except for mile 52-73. A good workout.

Last edited by Snortley; 05-08-16 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Adding note.
Old 05-09-16, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,550 Times in 7,330 Posts
The zombie apocalypse has begun again.
Old 05-11-16, 04:02 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Snortley
Oyster Bay Mile-High: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13018933

Cue: https://snuggl.es/roboviva/pdfs/13018933.pdf

I've done most of this, except for mile 52-73. A good workout.
Yeah, I would say that pretty much covers about every steep little mother you can find in central Nassau and western Suffolk. 5500 ft of climbing in less then a century is pretty respectable for L.I.