Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Gone insane, back later...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 02:26 PM
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm insane. Completely, bat-s*** insane. I renewed my USCF Racing License.

Renewed. My. Racing. License.

What? I'm a 235# sack of crap. What use do I have with a racing license?

Incentive, maybe. I also sent in my Level 3 coaching license exam. I figure, if I'm going to coach, I probably need to get back out there in some form or other. Now that I'm not chasing upgrades and results, maybe it'll be fun and spur me on to get into reasonable racing shape. I'm in as a 5 this time, no point in trying to kill myself by entering as a 3 or 4. And there's <em>absolutely no point</em> in my racing Masters, that's where all the <em>really</em> fast men are these days (some former teammates, I'm sure). At least I have the option of being pounded then dropped by two different groups of people, now. Maybe even two different groups at the same race. That's a definite plus.

Anyway, I went to ask my bike-shop-owning buddy, Todd, if I could wear his shop kit (which I have), and got some encouragement there. Of course, this encouragement followed a look that said, "This guy is off his rocker. Maybe I should stay out of arm's reach." I'm sure there will be at least some discussion of my apparent sudden-onset ***********. He <em>did</em> say "yes," I should mention. So, he's not above the embarrassment of advertising on the lanterne rouge of every amateur race in the Southeast.

It's a good incentive to train. I'm trying to figure out the whole coaching and training thing, so some experimentation on myself is an excellent idea. If I figure something out, then I'll switch to the Eddy B-eating-doughnuts-and-yelling-from-the-car technique. (Hey, it's <em>tough</em> to drive a straight line at low speed while hanging out a window cursing.) I'll be posting progress reports regularly and (shudder) photos. You might want to avoid the Intarwebs for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I've started a blog about this wacko idea over at one of my domains:

https://www.oldfartcycling.org/

Feel free to come and mock me. Or just mock me here. I promise to read and respond to all trolls.
Old 08-24-07, 02:37 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Good for you, Michael! If you want to race, do it. I'm going to subscribe to your blog feed and wish you the best.

Scott
Old 08-24-07, 02:53 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Hoorah! Good for you!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-24-07, 04:17 PM
AKA Nathan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must be something going around lately... I've been wondering about my mental health as well. For instance, last night I was seriously considering buying a pet cat.

You'd have to know me to know how crazy that sounds.

-DR
Old 08-24-07, 05:12 PM

Bikes: 76 raleigh grand sport, 1970s motobecane grand record and,a peugeot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wish you nothing but the best. now go forth and,kick arse. of coarse,be sure to stretch and,warm up first.
Old 08-24-07, 07:09 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr_Robert
Must be something going around lately... I've been wondering about my mental health as well. For instance, last night I was seriously considering buying a pet cat.

-DR
Not for the cat lovers.

I thought cats were just to check out the sights on the rifles. I don't hunt anything anymore, but I HATE cats. Don't know why really, but it must have been from something in my childhood that I don't remember at all.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 08-24-07, 07:22 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Insane? Welcome to the club! Insane is a way of life here
Old 08-24-07, 07:35 PM

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Venture 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's no crazier than me spending $350 on camping gear, that may get used this fall, but probably won't get used till RAGBRAI. I started cycling 3 months ago.

I think your renewing your racing license is fantastic!
Old 08-24-07, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_Robert

-DR
You don't own a cat, you subject yourself to ownership by a cat. Cat lovers know this, and cat haters don't. Cats are cool, they are mostly independent, you don't need to walk them (especially when the forecast is snow and blowing snow with high winds, and the only people out are the dog walkers), supply food, water and a litter box, and kitty is your friend for life. Want to calm down, simply pat the cat, cat snuggles up and purrs, all is right with the world.