Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New rider looking for...?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-26-07, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey my first post on the forums here so i was hoping everyone could help me out on what direction i should go in for buying a bike. i used to ride bmx for years until i messed up my knee and got out of it and then i ended up selling my bike so i stopped riding. i am really all aspects of mountain biking mainly urban riding/ trails/ dirt jumping. i have been looking around at everybody's bikes on the forums and have been really impressed with what i have seen. i also am into specialized bikes from what i have seen and real here and other places online. i really like the Stuntjumper FSR but that way out of my price range for what i can spend at the moment on a bike so i was looking around on their their site and found the Hardrock. Which i like but i notice its not full suspension so this leads me to ask the question, for what i would like to start into do i need a full suspension bike for would just fork suspension for now be fine. or should i just keep saving and get a decent full suspension bike?

please give me all the input negative or positive.

thanks everyone
Old 08-26-07, 11:23 AM
...is my hero!

Bikes: 2008 Kink Whip, 2006 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Norco Wolverine, 2006 Iron Horse FsZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well for urban riding and DJ a hardtail is usually the way to go. Trail riding can go either way HT is go and so is a FS. I would really suggest looking at other bike companies also though. Your kinda limiting yourself if you just look at Specialized. Sure there a pretty sweet company but there are lots of good companies out there. Whats your budget for this bike? Maybe some of us will be able to give you some more suggestions.
Old 08-26-07, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Dylan, i am open to suggestions on bikes. my budget for this bike is i would have to say no higher than 800 max. im trying to look for something used int he 400 range but brand new i would really like to spend no more than 650. if i see something i dont want o pass up for 800 then i can stretch my budget for it a little more. i have always been into the lower seated bikes with a little longer frame. when i rode street bmx i had a standard lenghty which the TT was 22in. which when i got it, it fit me perfectly since im 6'3 250.

please post some links at what u guys think i should take a look at in regards to my budget.

thanks for the help.
Old 08-27-07, 03:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump
Old 08-27-07, 11:12 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look at the p series
Old 08-27-07, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santa cruz chameleon. I'm 6'3" as well and 205 lbs. I've beat the **** out of this frame and it is still perfect. I can't comment on the components as I moved parts from another bike onto this frame. I have it setup with fairly heavy components (truvativ husselfelt drivetrain, magura gustavs, etc...) and it still feels very quick and responsive.
Old 08-27-07, 12:38 PM
eatin' dust

Bikes: '07 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disk - stock til I break something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am happy with my HardRock Sport for now. As I get better and more serious I am sure I will want something different, but for the price it is hard to beat.
Old 08-27-07, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
should i just look for something with front suspension, or something full suspension?
Old 08-27-07, 03:39 PM
...is my hero!

Bikes: 2008 Kink Whip, 2006 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Norco Wolverine, 2006 Iron Horse FsZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a hardtail (so just front suspension). Its kinda an unwritten rule that you never buy a FS unless you spend at least $1000.
Old 08-27-07, 03:45 PM

Bikes: 2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what are you plannig to ride?

urban = hardtail
trials = hardtail, fork suspension optional, seat optional
XC = FS or HT
Freeride = FS or HT
downhill = FS (HT is not the best idea)

it depends a lot on what your riding. i do trials/urban/XC/freeride, and a Hradtail works great for me. u say u have a bad knee, so to limit the abuse on it, depending on your style, FS isnt a bad idea. it does mean the bike will weigh a bit more, but thats ok right?

i only ever buy Norco's. it may not be the best idea to limit what i ride, but they offer something for everyone, so its not so bad. www.norco.com the 2008 Norco's come out Aug. 30, so ya. a good idea is to get a 2007 model on sale this winter (if u dont mind the wait). that way you can get a bike worth $800 for $650.

anymore questions just ask me. ill answer messages faster, so ya.
Old 08-28-07, 10:00 AM

Bikes: '03 Trek Fuel 80, '06 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by First2belast
should i just look for something with front suspension, or something full suspension?
For your price range I would stick with a hardtail.
Old 08-28-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
several entry level 29ers (rigid and hardtail) to consider as well in that price range

Redline MonoCog 29'er (singlespeed rigid)
'08 Redline D440 due out soon (geared rigid)
Motobecane Fantom on eBay (geared hardtail with disc brakes)

yah, I'm one of those 29er guys
Old 08-28-07, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Specialized P2, Gary Fisher Mullet, Giant STP, Sant Cruz Jackal, Mongoose Ritual/Firebird, Diamondback assault, or GT Chucker . They are all dirtjumping bikes. I just got an Ironhorse Warrior, and i am loving it, but that would be good if you are going mor the trail route.
Old 08-28-07, 02:07 PM
...is my hero!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madcap
several entry level 29ers (rigid and hardtail) to consider as well in that price range
29ers aren't that good for DJ/Urban riding that the OP does so... -1 on that suggestion.
Old 08-28-07, 02:46 PM
veggieburglar

Bikes: 60s Peugeot conversion, 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler, 2007 Bianchi "Everyone has one" Pista, Beat up Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamskene's
Santa cruz chameleon. I'm 6'3" as well and 205 lbs. I've beat the **** out of this frame and it is still perfect. I can't comment on the components as I moved parts from another bike onto this frame. I have it setup with fairly heavy components (truvativ husselfelt drivetrain, magura gustavs, etc...) and it still feels very quick and responsive.
Holy crap when did Santa Cruz start getting so cheap? They must have started outsourcing their frames. I've never ridden any of their hardtails, but I have put extensive time on Hecklers, Superlights, and Blurs, and my conclusion is, I lust after everything that is Santa Cruz.
Old 08-28-07, 03:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a looks at the SCOTT Reflex series.......
Old 08-28-07, 03:49 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanlovesyou
Holy crap when did Santa Cruz start getting so cheap? They must have started outsourcing their frames. I've never ridden any of their hardtails, but I have put extensive time on Hecklers, Superlights, and Blurs, and my conclusion is, I lust after everything that is Santa Cruz.
Don't be lusting........it's bad for you.
Old 08-28-07, 04:02 PM
veggieburglar

Bikes: 60s Peugeot conversion, 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler, 2007 Bianchi "Everyone has one" Pista, Beat up Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Don't be lusting........it's bad for you.
I full on love my Heckler, although I still lust sometimes.