Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Dog vs Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog vs Bike

Had my first collision today. Met two approaching riders on trikes with large dog. It was too late when I realized that the dog was not on a leash (Leash in basket). Ran over dog, left road, missed two logs, stayed up. I really think that I should have been more aware and should have expected the dog not to be tethered (defensive driving attitude) but there has to be some sanity on everyones part. Allowing your dog to run alongside on a public road is insanity and probably will result in the dog being killed by a car. Moral to the story is "expect it, and at least you may have a chance" !!
Old 08-27-07, 05:04 PM
Arrogant Safety Nanny

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.2 FX, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So they were allowing their dog to run around on a street without a leash? Were they also riding the wrong way on the street? If they were that negligent they're lucky you didn't get hurt. What size was the dog/what happened to it?
Old 08-29-07, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we were on opposite sides both going with our respective traffic. The dog came all the way over to my side. It was a large yellow lab and fortunately we both escaped any injuries. I think the main thing was picking an escape route, not jerking the brakes or trying to avoid the inevitable collosion, and focusing on staying on the bike, and not going down.
Old 08-29-07, 07:12 PM
livin' the nightmare

Bikes: '81 Centurion SS coversion, other ****

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you stop or did you just keep going? If you stopped, were the owners upset?
Old 08-30-07, 06:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the owners of the dog were very senior and were very upset. The area we were in is a recently developed area and they were used to having that stretch of road to themselves and allowing the dog to run loose. Funny part of it is the next days ride we had to wait for an 8 ft alligator nto cross the road. I think I prefer the dog !!
Old 08-30-07, 09:21 PM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brings up a "what to do" question. Occurred to me just now that I could have little cards with the Tenn dog law on them printed up. Tape them to mailboxes where there are loose dogs.

"44-8-408. Dogs not allowed at large — Exception. —

It is unlawful for any person to allow a dog belonging to or under the control of such person, or that may be habitually found on premises occupied by the person, or immediately under the control of such person, to go upon the premises of another, or upon a highway or upon a public road or street; provided, that this section and § 44-8-409 shall not apply to a dog on a hunt or chase, or on the way to or from a hunt or chase, nor to a dog guarding or driving stock, or on the way for that purpose, nor to a dog being moved from one (1) place to another, by a person owning or controlling a dog; provided, that the foregoing exemptions shall not apply unless all damages done by dogs therein exempted, to the person or property of another, shall be paid or tendered to the person so damaged, or to the person's agent, within thirty (30) days after the damage is done."

I could add a simple explanation of what this means: "Tennessee follows the doctrine of negligence per se, meaning that a dog owner may be held strictly liable for a violation of Tenn. Code Ann. § 44-8-408 without any finding of negligence. If a dog causes damage, the owner will almost certainly end up paying for it."

Particularly relevant to me at the moment, since our last dog encounter is likely to top $10,000 in damages.
Old 08-30-07, 10:21 PM
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Defensive driving is one thing, but having a dog off leash on a public street is not a good idea.

I'm a little spooked now. I was chased by a dog today, for the first time that it actually felt threatening.

Dogs and bikes are not good friends.
Old 08-30-07, 10:35 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by mandovoodoo
Tape them to mailboxes where there are loose dogs.
Try someplace else other then the MB. Another nice little law out there is that the mailbox is USPS property, and it is a felony to touch one unless it is on your property.

Otherwise, this is an excellent idea. I just finished printing out the Miami-Dade statures on the same subject, and will carry about a few of these papers in my pocket for a few nearby residents that have been numerous times at fault.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-30-07 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-31-07, 04:12 AM
Violin guitar mandolin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know, I'll superglue the law to the dog.
Old 08-31-07, 08:27 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Superglue the dog to the law, rather.

-Kurt

Old 08-31-07, 11:19 AM
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Staples might be easier to apply.
Old 08-31-07, 11:36 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I was bit in a fairly nasty way on the leg by a 17lb Terrier who ran out from a neighbors yard as I was running down the street and jumped up behind me and latched onto my upper thigh with its teeth. The owners were in the yard painting their shutters. The acted like it was my fault and on followup refused to pay insurance co-pay.

I was chased by a large dog once in same neighborhood as I was running. Actually more like joined. A lady yelled at me to keep my dog leashed, I explained it wasn't my dog. I guess she called the police who at first took issue with me until I explained it wasn't my dog, even though it had followed me for a couple miles, even though I stopped running, even though I had circled back to where it had first 'joined' me and repeatedly told it to 'Go Home' 'Stay' etc. It was a friendly dog and I got used to the company, but at first it was disconcerting as I had been bitten badly only a few months before.

Al
Old 08-31-07, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the most important thing here is always expecting the unexpected and having an escape route planned. Its a visual processing thing that you can master with a little thought. Safe riding, Happy trails.
Old 08-31-07, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by discosaurus
Dogs and bikes are not good friends.

word. Almost got t-boned by a dog today who was being walked by a girl no older than 7. The dog was twice her size. It saw me and made a b-line for my front tire, pulling the leash outta the girls hands like nothing. I was amazed I was able to avoid hitting him, and avoid going down.
Old 08-31-07, 08:14 PM
Violin guitar mandolin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a dog owner for a long time, I understand dogs pretty well. My wife has been a dog person longer. Our dog radar is pretty dang sensitive. And we can deal with pretty much any dog out there. She's still looking at Ti straps in her face from a dog caused accident! Sometimes the dog can really ambush one.

In this incident, the dog could pick up speed and then dart into the road. Only about 20 feet of warning. Went for me (I didn't see it), then couldn't stop and slammed into her in spite of her excellent evasion. Another 18" and she'd have been fine instead of in for an ambulance ride.

But most of the time, dog radar works perfectly. I had one pacing me today through leaves behind a fence. I could hear him, figured about a 50 lb dog. I was ready when he came around the fence. Another reason not to wear ipods!