Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

One more metric under my belt

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I did it second time! Metric century on Sunday in a preparation to a real one. This was also my first organized ride ( Cream City Century in WI) and I liked it a lot. Riding in a group is more fun ( and faster speed too).
And now the big date is set for real century - September 16th I am doing 100 miles in North Shore Century in Chicago. Question is - should I try 75 mi some time before 16th? I felt OK after 62-miles yesterday and even went on easy 21 mile recovery ride today after work. I have 2 weekends before the century and there is a ride with 75 mile option 1 week before century. Is it a good idea to go? Or take it easy with couple of 40 milers or another metric?

And another big goal is to finally get under 280 lbs. My weight loss progress is not as good as my speed on a bike - only lost 15 lbs compare to 30 lbs last year.
Old 08-27-07, 11:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to try the 75 , I was fine till I hit 80 mile point on the CCC , then I just lost steam for the last 20 miles. I run 220 , but I believe it was more to crappy nutrition on my part during the ride and riding like a jack rabbit for the first 60 miles lol. The pedal for the kettle is coming up on sept 9th thats held by the spring city spinners, or the Harmon hundred by the wheelmen. Don't worry the weight will
come as you go a long.

Dynodan
Old 08-28-07, 01:41 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on your Metric.
Old 08-28-07, 06:13 AM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations! This is always a great moment.

My bands:
Old 08-28-07, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's time for some moderate distance rides with hills and concentration on pace. Also be sure to add a couple of days each week for honest to gosh rest. Definitely taper off the last week before the century, focus on a good diet with lots of fresh fruit, complex carbohydrates and lean protien. And hydrate hydrate hydrate the last few days before the big ride. For me, a 75 mile ride the weekend before the century would not be a good idea, but I am 55 and have only been riding just shy of two years now.
Old 08-28-07, 06:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodan22
You might want to try the 75 , I was fine till I hit 80 mile point
Yes, I was thinking about this too - you never know until you try. I think I'll go to Harmon , since they have 75 mile route and closer to my home.