Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is This Bag Safe?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is This Bag Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 04:11 PM
Student

Bikes: Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is This Bag Safe?

Hi y'all. I'm looking into getting a new messenger bag for commuting, and was liking the Crumpler Complete Seed. However, I noticed there are no reflectors or a place to attach my blinke? Should I still get it, or go for another bag? Here's a link to their site: https://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=6

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-28-07, 04:34 PM
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just keep a blinkie on your bike? That's what I do. As for the bag? Looks safe to me. Unless I saw it sitting unattended in an airport Starbucks. Then I'd ****z out and evacute the terminal. Don't become complacent!
Old 08-28-07, 04:45 PM
Drunk on wheels

Bikes: a frame and 2 wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well crumplers are top notch bags and as for reflectors why not just have some swe on or as was suggested why not just put a blnker on your bike.
Old 08-28-07, 05:04 PM
Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. So maybe "safe" was too harsh of a word. "Well-suited" is more appropriate. But thanks for your help and keep the input coming.
Old 08-28-07, 07:24 PM
It's all about the Ort.

Bikes: Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crumplers are excellent bags... and if you're lucky enough to hit the "Beer for Bags" sale, so much the better.
Old 08-28-07, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bag looks like it would rob you at gunpoint and then get drunk and drive home.
Old 08-28-07, 07:51 PM
Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notfred
That bag looks like it would rob you at gunpoint and then get drunk and drive home.
I was afraid of that, I've heard stories. Let me guess, you found out the hard way?
Old 08-28-07, 07:56 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
The more directional a blinkie (and the high output ones like the SuperFlash and LD-1000 are very directional) the less useful it is if attached to a bag. I've seen numerous bag clipped-on blinkies that are pointed up, right, etc. but not straight back and level with the ground. No matter how good your plan is to keep it level, sight body position changes, changes in the load in the bag, etc. are enough to aim it wrong.

Best is to mount the blinkies to the bike.

Al
Old 08-29-07, 07:36 AM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
The more directional a blinkie (and the high output ones like the SuperFlash and LD-1000 are very directional) the less useful it is if attached to a bag. I've seen numerous bag clipped-on blinkies that are pointed up, right, etc. but not straight back and level with the ground. No matter how good your plan is to keep it level, sight body position changes, changes in the load in the bag, etc. are enough to aim it wrong.

+1
Old 08-29-07, 07:57 AM
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Al
Bingo! I'm also a Crumpler fetishist...
Old 08-29-07, 11:55 AM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts

Al
I do both. Smaller blinkie on the bike, and that giant triangular one on my bag.
Old 08-29-07, 11:57 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I do both. Smaller blinkie on the bike, and that giant triangular one on my bag.
As I get better blinkies, the older ones migrate to my body (helmet, bag, etc.) But my primary and best blinkies are on the bike.

Al
Old 08-29-07, 02:02 PM
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I get better blinkies, the older ones migrate to my body (helmet, bag, etc.) But my primary and best blinkies are on the bike.

Al
+1
Old 08-29-07, 03:42 PM
ride fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks good, and I know this isn't what you asked... but you might check out the Banjo Bro's messenger bag if you want the aforementioned features. It has a large reflector strip down the front and loops for the blink.
Old 08-29-07, 06:12 PM
Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noahs44
Looks good, and I know this isn't what you asked... but you might check out the Banjo Bro's messenger bag if you want the aforementioned features. It has a large reflector strip down the front and loops for the blink.
Well I was debating between this and the Bailey Works Super Pro medium. However, I like the more versatile strap on the Crumpler as it can be worn more than one way on both shoulders.
Old 08-29-07, 07:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're concerned about the lack of a reflective strip you could always go to the smaller Barney Rustle Blanket or a size larger and go with the Fux Deluxe. Both of these have a reflective strip on them. I have the Barney and I like it, but it's a little bit on the small side. Good for a change of clothing, but gets a bit full if you try to stuff shoes in there too.
Old 08-30-07, 11:41 AM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by balsingh
Well I was debating between this and the Bailey Works Super Pro medium. However, I like the more versatile strap on the Crumpler as it can be worn more than one way on both shoulders.
Super Pro's strap can be move to either side. I moved both of mine because I wear my bags on the right shoulder. They're also better suited to carry heavy loads and can be tightened/loosened with one hand. The buckle on the Crumpler is the same as a Timbuk2;you need 2 hands to work it and it's a pain to use if you wear your bag on the right shoulder.

I picked up a Crumpler from REI's online outlet,but returned it. Not as many pockets as a Super Pro,and they don't claim to be waterproof. Baileys have a proper tarp lining,and are waterproof.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-30-07, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Surly,ANT,Rawland,Fuji,Jamis,Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 on the Banjo Bros. Nice bags. I actually just picked up a large Messenger Backpack
by Banjo Bros. Completely waterproof, even zipper material is waterproof, and the liner is
removable.
Old 08-30-07, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Crumpler store in NYC (west side) will customize messenger bags. You could have a reflective strip and blinky tag put on if you wanted (for extra).

Any Crumpler bag is safe, apart from the carbon fiber ones, which are lethal.
Old 08-30-07, 05:40 PM
Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whatsmyname
The Crumpler store in NYC (west side) will customize messenger bags. You could have a reflective strip and blinky tag put on if you wanted (for extra).

Any Crumpler bag is safe, apart from the carbon fiber ones, which are lethal.
Yeah. A good idea, however, when I called them they told me that this wasn't feasible as I'm out of state, and the option to customize won't be on the website "until sometime next year." I went with the Bailey, but I really appreciate all your advice and feedback. Thanks again.

Bal