Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

first time motorpacing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 04:54 PM
Style-challenged

Bikes: Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first time motorpacing

So last night at the old Hellyer Velodrome there was a training session instead of racing (no more racing on Wednesdays until next summer). I had already warmed up and was doing some LT work when the motorcyle came out and some of the strong guys formed up a paceline behind it, keirin style. I figured what the heck and jumped onto the back of the line to see if I could keep up. They were just warming up and so I was able to hang onto the line and even pulled up to the moto for a couple of turns at the front. I was very intimidated the first time up there (and still pretty much the second time), but I felt like I was able to hold the pace and stay pretty smooth on the moto.

I guess I have no real point to all this, but it was a neat experience!

ps, Ben Jaques-Maynes is a freakin' monster.
Old 08-30-07, 06:41 PM
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Wildest experience ive ever had on a bike was motorpacing on the back of a tandem at Indy, what a cool ride. The road to becoming fast is on the back of a motor.
Old 08-30-07, 07:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by platypus
So last night at the old Hellyer Velodrome there was a training session instead of racing (no more racing on Wednesdays until next summer). I had already warmed up and was doing some LT work when the motorcyle came out and some of the strong guys formed up a paceline behind it, keirin style. I figured what the heck and jumped onto the back of the line to see if I could keep up. They were just warming up and so I was able to hang onto the line and even pulled up to the moto for a couple of turns at the front. I was very intimidated the first time up there (and still pretty much the second time), but I felt like I was able to hold the pace and stay pretty smooth on the moto.

I guess I have no real point to all this, but it was a neat experience!

ps, Ben Jaques-Maynes is a freakin' monster.

Hey so Wed. is is training nights now?
Do you have to finish 3 Saturday's before doing wed. training?
Old 08-31-07, 02:25 PM
Style-challenged

Bikes: Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep, 3 Saturdays are a must before doing anything else. Wednesday night racing is done for the season, but there's still about a month of Thursday night points races left. I'm not sure if there's going to be sessions every Wednesday, but sign up for the "hellyervelodrome" and "ncva" google groups to get updates on sessions.
Old 08-31-07, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool thanks...I got one more sat!!!!