Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Velowell

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-07, 03:35 PM
New

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velowell

I came accross this new folding bike for sale on Ebay. It looks very cheap for what is being offered. Does anyone have experience of this bike and the firm. I am in the UK but they can post it to me here. This is the spec:

# Magnesium & Titanium Alloy Frame, it is the same alloy which is used on the spaceship. (10% Stronger & 15% Lighter than 7005 Aluminum)
# Shimano 6 Gears System
# Front and Rear v-brakes with resin levers, levers have reach adjust facility.
# Super grip – handle bar grips
# Front and rear chain guard
# Folding pedals
# 16” Wheels with lightweight alloy rims
# Quick release seat
# Free standing stand
# Bicycle condition: Brand New sealed in Box. 100% built, No assembly required.
# Weight: 8.5Kg (Super Light)
# Folded Size: 60cm x 60cm x 30cm
# Unfold time: 20 seconds Fold time: 50 seconds
# 12 month warranty.

Robin
Old 09-01-07, 03:59 PM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is this bike you are talking about?
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-Magnesium-T...QQcmdZViewItem

It's cheap until you add the shipping costs from China. Whilst it's certainly very lighweight I wouldn't trust the quality. They are already down to 96.9% feedback off 151 transactions. It's also shipped from China.

That does not mean all bikes manufactured in China are bad. Depends on the factory and quality control and even foreign input on design from countries with more advanced bike designs. If you want a bargain bike with some track record and good eBay feedback (99.3% off 4414) try this clearance downtube:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Downtube-VIIIN...QQcmdZViewItem

You will also at least get some good tech support from the owner of the company in the US. Even though it's manufactured in China, the quality is good. These bikes have been closing on just over £100 and I think they represent a real bargain even when you add shipping. These ship from the UK. Downtubes also fold reasonably well and have a good reputation on these forums for their price. You can also see a review from the Folding Society of a DT bike on:
https://www.foldsoc.co.uk/Mike/downtube.html
Old 09-01-07, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyn
# Front and Rear v-brakes with resin levers, levers have reach adjust facility.

If you really have a bicycle with "titesium" alloy frame that is super durable, high tension, light than air, stiffer than concrete like is stated in the specifications for this bicycle, the manufacturer would never use resin brake levers!
Old 09-02-07, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyn
I came accross this new folding bike for sale on Ebay. It looks very cheap for what is being offered. Does anyone have experience of this bike and the firm. I am in the UK but they can post it to me here.

Robin
From the looks of the frame, this folder is a rebranded Kent Ultralight. Back in July, someone (re)started a thread that talked extensively about it (pros n' cons). Here's the link if you want to read up on it:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=kent
Old 09-02-07, 08:08 AM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
u think the frame is worth the money in its own right JosephM?
Old 09-02-07, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mulleady
u think the frame is worth the money in its own right JosephM?
If this bike is indeed a rebranded Kent, then take a look at this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLhymyjZSw

Towards the end of the vid, Larry (of RideTHISbike.com) says that the manufacture of these bikes was subsidized by the Chinese gov't, so they're really worth more than their sub-$200 price tag. Also, $200 for a folder here in the US is cheap, so I imagine that's REALLY cheap in the UK, yes?
Old 09-02-07, 10:02 AM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very enlightening JosephM thanks. I guess it looks like the frame is worth the money if someone has the mechanical know-how and budget to do some modifications and upgrades. Sounds like it comes with a poor gear set, brakes and plastic moulded tyres. However add to the frame itself and I guess you would could end up with a high quality lightweight folder on a budget.