Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool floor pump (PFP-3) valve switch issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I normally use Presta and I'm now trying to fill a Schrader tube, but I can't seem to get this thing to switch. It's worked once before but for some reason it just won't switch. I found Park Tool's page on rebuilding the thing but I can't even get the pin to come out.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readi...ions.asp?id=80

Any help?
Old 09-03-07, 08:00 PM
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You could try smacking that biotch up.

I sold one of those to our landlord earlier this year. He brought it in with the same issue, and some tapping and fiddling freed it up and got it working again. I'm not sure what you'd use that wouldn't damage the rubber seals, but if you do manage to get that pin out, look at how it might be lubed to prevent sticking again.
Old 09-03-07, 08:03 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
You could try smacking that biotch up.
This actually works. Also spray a bit of lube up in there. We have had a heap of trouble with these heads. Notice PARK has a new floor pump...
Old 09-03-07, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can buy a replacement head and replace that with a new one for around $10 to $15. Don't screw around with a malfunctioning head. Parts wear out.
Old 09-04-07, 12:12 AM
jerk store

Bikes: '80s Chimo Garbage fixed 36/14, Centurion fixed 42/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should dump that thing and replace it with a real pump before something else on it breaks.
Old 09-04-07, 09:15 AM
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can press the pin out as they show on the website with an allen key of suitable size. just get some cloth to cushion your hand. you have to press really hard.

on the schrader filling--you have to bottom out the schrader head on the inner nipple or it won't fill. Sometimes I find covering the presta head with a finger helps if the valve is being sticky. All you're doing is moving a little rubber ball from one hole to another.

My pump blew out a hose somewhere in the bottom while I was filling a car tire. Now I have the serfas pump, and so far, it's great.
Old 09-04-07, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banging the valve head on the floor seemed to unstick it. What a terrible design...what's so hard about a switch?
Old 09-04-07, 05:59 PM
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blickblocks
I normally use Presta and I'm now trying to fill a Schrader tube, but I can't seem to get this thing to switch. It's worked once before but for some reason it just won't switch. I found Park Tool's page on rebuilding the thing but I can't even get the pin to come out.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readi...ions.asp?id=80

Any help?
You should send mail to Park Tool support. They are excellent about customer service and I'm sure they'll do what's right to help you with your problem. I just had a part break on a repair stand and, after a quick email to them, I had the replacement part in my hands in about four days. Free of charge.