Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I know I'm not THAT strong... right?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So,

I got a new steelie a while back (Jamis Aurora) and it's coming up on time to adjust my derailers etc (which is a little intimidating, as I've only done it with downtube friction shifters before, and this is a STI brifter system) but with them just a hair out of alignment, I noticed on downstrokes I hear a grinding, and looking down, it appears that the chain is rubbing the front derailer when I do....

Am I flexing the frame to cause this?

I'm a rather weak commuter (< 15 miles roundtrip a day) and this isn't a 15 lb light is more important than anything flexy flier, although it IS a price-point bike)

Or is it something else?

Thanks.

-- James
Old 09-04-07, 01:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It happens.
Old 09-04-07, 01:58 PM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think it's frame flex. More probable is an out-of-round chainring (most are, by the way) and/or a misadjusted FD. You're not in a bad combo when this happens, are you (small/small, big/big). Cross chaining is a no-no.
Old 09-04-07, 02:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tellyho
I don't think it's frame flex. More probable is an out-of-round chainring (most are, by the way) and/or a misadjusted FD. You're not in a bad combo when this happens, are you (small/small, big/big). Cross chaining is a no-no.
Big (front) small (back) and generally closer to mashing than spinning when it happens.

-- James
Old 09-04-07, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may be flexing the chainring/crank while mashing in the big front/small back combo. On my old friction shifter steely I have to nudge the front D when the back D travels to an opposite side. I bet there is an appriciable angle on the chain in the big front/small back combo.

There's a fine line between laziness and efficiency