Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Rocky Mountain Sherps?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Opinions on Rocky Mountain Sherps?

Old 09-05-07, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Opinions on Rocky Mountain Sherpa?

I am going to look at the Rocky Mountian Sherpa since I am shopping for a new bike.
Since I only heard of it yesterday, does anyone have any feedback regarding this bike?
The specs seem good and it even has a spoke holder welded to the stay.
It is pricier than a 520 though which is another bike I have been looking at along with the Cannodale T800 and T200 which are now T1 and T2.
The Rocky Mountian gives the choice of Reynolds tubes or aluminum and disc brakes.
Old 09-05-07, 04:20 PM
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to put you off---but while waiting for responses, search this section for another Sherpa thread. Specifically, Miles2go gave quite a bit of input, as well as did others (I forget their names offhand).
Old 09-05-07, 04:25 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I did but I never came across that thread.
I did however come across many questions as per the frame sizes on this bike.
It would seem that the standover height is short and that the reach is long, which would be ok with my long arms.
I am kind of looking for opinions on comfort rather than tech.
Old 09-05-07, 07:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you haven't done a test ride one, or seen one in person-- why bother to post anything here?

Go find one and test ride it-- it's the only way to see if a bike fits.

I'm pretty sure Rocky Mountian is currently sold out of the 07s and I'm not sure when the 08s come out.
Old 09-05-07, 07:56 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tacomee
If you haven't done a test ride one, or seen one in person-- why bother to post anything here?

If I have a concerns that someone can clarify, I will post.
And I will contiunue to do that whether you approve or not.

There is precious little information about this bike on the net or anywhere else.
I will test ride one when one becomes available, but I would like to know how others are finding the aluminum frame vs the steel frame ect.

I've never seen a Cannondale T2000 but I have had my questions about that bike answered here.
Same with the 520.
Old 09-05-07, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This?
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=Sherpa
Old 09-05-07, 09:06 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
You'd be better off with a Surly LHT. It has slightly longer chainstays to keep your panniers out of the way. Short chainstays lead people to buying long racks, pushing the load far back, then the bike handles poorly or shimmies and people are left scratching their head. Also, the LHT in sizes <56 use 26" wheels, which are stronger than 700c, less toe overlap, more plentiful tire size worldwide (if that matters to you).

The RMS comes with road bike cranks. Trek 520 does this same stupid thing. You'd be better off with a mtb crank or an in between like the sugino xd - which is what Surly puts on their LHT bike.

Although I like disc brakes, the std mount interferes with rack mounting, and a pannier may interfere with brake caliper operation. You'll have to buy a more expensive, unusual rack to work around this problem on the RMS. Ditto front. Disc brakes make the bike about 500-600g heavier (over canti or vee or sidepull) and makes the bike more appealing to thieves. A lot of negatives to be overcome by improved wet braking capability.

The LHT bike is 10-30% cheaper than a RMS.

The LHT is not fancy as frames go (the fork is nice), but its hard to beat for a touring platform. Cheap too.
Old 09-05-07, 11:16 PM

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Just to dispell some "myths" about the rocky mountain sherpa 30. I'm a proud owner of one of these wonderful bikes.

1) Yes, the Surly LHT has longer chainstays 460 mm vs. 445 mm - this should be a consideration in your decision to buy a bike if you have a size 14+ shoe... othewise, 445 is more than adequate. (I'd say that 440 mm and up is perfect for a touring bike... if it's not adequate, then maybe you should be looking at an extracycle or the Surly Big Dummy.)

2) The 2007 Sherpa 30 frame does not come with tabs for disc brakes. I have canti's on my sherpa, is stops just fine, and I have no problems at all with mounting a rack (I have a tubus cargo rack)

3) The LHT is cheaper. I attribute this to the fact that the Sherpa 30 comes with STI shifters vs. bar ends and the Sherpa 30 uses a very high quality steel (Reynolds 853) in their frame.

4) If you are looking for a "touring purist" bike... the surly LHT is a good bike. If you want a little more versatility for just road riding and commuting too, then the Sherpa has some advantages (STI shifting, 700c wheels, and yes... even the road cranks.) These are all things that I prefer on my bike because I do alot of club rides, road riding, and distance rides. The "purists" will argue that 26" wheels are stronger (but 700c are faster), bar-end shifters are easier to repair (STI seems more convenient), road cranks don't provide a small enough chain ring for climbing hills (but they will let you scream on the flats.)

Make your choice on a bike based on the uses that you have planned for it.
Old 09-06-07, 12:00 AM
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
The LHT may be $200-$300 less, but the Sherpa is 100% more made by hand in North America than the LHT is. So how much is that worth? Come to think of it, the T800 is handmade in the US, or at least it says so on mine.

As to comfort of the Sherpa while touring... I took mine across hundreds of unpaved miles in Alaska and loved it...with no suspension bits. Could have done the same with my Thorn Nomad or Cannondale T800. Couldn't have done the same thing with my Trek 520. I was running 42mm tires and fenders. The 520 can't handle them.

***No other frame, paint and wheels combo is as nicely done for the money as the Sherpa.*** Anyone? Go to their site and read up on RMB's processes. https://www.bikes.com/about/philosophy.aspx Powder coated paint on top of what's said on that page. I think I can see a bit of additional value there.

Last edited by Miles2go; 09-06-07 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-06-07, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Trek 630 • Jamis Quest • Bilenky Tourlite and various others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Sherpa is a darn good looking bike at any rate. That counts for me.

Say, Miles2go: You have a very fair selection/collection of touring rides listed there. I'm curious about the deletion of the "1900 & others." Would you care to start another thread and elaborate on the pro's and con's of your rides and why the 1900 & others got the axe?
Old 09-06-07, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foamy
That Sherpa is a darn good looking bike at any rate. That counts for me.

Say, Miles2go: You have a very fair selection/collection of touring rides listed there. I'm curious about the deletion of the "1900 & others." Would you care to start another thread and elaborate on the pro's and con's of your rides and why the 1900 & others got the axe?
I was going to ask the same thing.
Old 09-06-07, 08:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ricohman
I am going to look at the Rocky Mountian Sherpa since I am shopping for a new bike.
Since I only heard of it yesterday, does anyone have any feedback regarding this bike?
The specs seem good and it even has a spoke holder welded to the stay.
It is pricier than a 520 though which is another bike I have been looking at along with the Cannodale T800 and T200 which are now T1 and T2.
The Rocky Mountian gives the choice of Reynolds tubes or aluminum and disc brakes.
I went through a ton to get a Sherpa and I was mildly disappointed. Granted, it was the wrong size and I had expectations that were likely unfufillable given all the effort I went through and high hopes that were built up, but I got a Trek 520 instead and I feel like the bike is overall constructed better. I still don't understand the bad rap the 520 gets.

Bottom line is that you should try to ride the bike you are going to buy bc it all comes down to fit/comforrt and that varies a tremendous amount from person to person.
Old 09-06-07, 09:09 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wow!
It took some time to read through that first thread on the Sherpa.
Thank you very much for all this useful information. I always like to have some background before I go shopping and spend 1.5k on a new bike.
This looks like it could very well be "the bike".
Old 09-06-07, 10:06 AM
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
2) The 2007 Sherpa 30 frame does not come with tabs for disc brakes. I have canti's on my sherpa, is stops just fine, and I have no problems at all with mounting a rack (I have a tubus cargo rack)
There's also a Sherpa 10, made of aluminium and uses disc brakes.
Old 09-06-07, 01:14 PM

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L
There's also a Sherpa 10, made of aluminium and uses disc brakes.
That's why I specified a 2007 Sherpa 30. I spoke with a RMB rep about the 2008 run of sherpas and he indicated that the company was thinking of going with only one model of the touring bike and it would be the steel frame Sherpa 30 without the disc tabs. I'm not sure if that is what they have decided. No difference to me... I plan on riding my '07 for the next 3 decades.
Old 09-09-07, 06:04 PM
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jignall
I went through a ton to get a Sherpa and I was mildly disappointed. Granted, it was the wrong size and I had expectations that were likely unfufillable given all the effort I went through and high hopes that were built up, but I got a Trek 520 instead and I feel like the bike is overall constructed better.
Wow. That's a fairly vague statement which is totally contrary to my ownership experiences, and I think I've done a pretty good job in accurately photographing the Sherpa, giving everyone a close look. Care to elaborate on what you mean by "constructed better"? The Sherpa frameset is nothing less than a step up from the 520. If the Trek's geometry fits better or is more comfortable for your intended uses then that's another matter.

Last edited by Miles2go; 09-09-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-09-07, 09:13 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Wow. That's a fairly vague statement which is totally contrary to my ownership experiences, and I think I've done a pretty good job in accurately photographing the Sherpa, giving everyone a close look. Care to elaborate on what you mean by "constructed better"? The Sherpa frameset is nothing less than a step up from the 520. If the Trek's geometry fits better or is more comfortable for your intended uses then that's another matter.
I have looked and made the decision to get a Sherpa 30 over the 520 and the Cannondale.
I want a steel frame so that narrowed it betwen the 520 and the Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30.
I like the Sherpa frame set better and the ability to run larger tires appeals to me as I ride a lot on gravel roads.
Now, can my local LBS get me one? One of the guys is going to Quebec this week so I will be finding out soon.
Miles2go, I ride a 58 bike and I'm a bit over 5'9" 1/2 with a 34 inseam and ape arms.
Do you figure the 52 would fit?
Old 09-09-07, 09:56 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you are looking to go anywhere soon, you may need to look at other bikes, or not. I was trying to get one at exactly this time in '05, and I had to settle for my second choice, and urbanite made in Toronto, which has worked out very well. In Saskatoon, Spicer would send you a Surly for under 500 with shipping for the frame and fork. You can be up and running for fairly small bucks, with a donor bike. Or part it up in a number of ways.

RM make really good bikes though, and I would consider the RM. My wife bought one of their mountain bike because of the ride quality.

I have owned Canondale MTBs and their touring bike would ben an easy choice for me.
Old 09-10-07, 07:42 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
If you are looking to go anywhere soon, you may need to look at other bikes, or not. I was trying to get one at exactly this time in '05, and I had to settle for my second choice, and urbanite made in Toronto, which has worked out very well. In Saskatoon, Spicer would send you a Surly for under 500 with shipping for the frame and fork. You can be up and running for fairly small bucks, with a donor bike. Or part it up in a number of ways.

RM make really good bikes though, and I would consider the RM. My wife bought one of their mountain bike because of the ride quality.

I have owned Canondale MTBs and their touring bike would ben an easy choice for me.
I live just south of Saskatoon in the Regina area.
My LBS is sure they can get me an 08, and I can wait. I am going to use my Velo Sport for my fall tour.