Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

If you ride 20 miles in an hour....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 01:03 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

.... and I ride 20 miles in 2 hours (newbie on a heavy hybrid), can't I just multiply my mileage X 2 and say I rode 40 miles? I mean, isn't it time in the saddle that counts?

By that calculation today I rode my age.
Old 09-08-07, 01:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Might aswell do it all downhill as that is easier aswell.

No

Spike Milligan
Old 09-08-07, 01:13 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, no..... I actually pedaled almost the entire 25+ miles, up and down. We can't ride far without encountering some sort of incline or hill, and I prefer to pedal downhill when I can.
Old 09-08-07, 01:25 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I ride 20 miles in an hour, then I must have found a 20 mile stretch that was all down hill.

We've had threads here in the past where we've reported on how many hours we ride, instead of miles. And I've written in threads on saddles and handlebars that I need more comfort on a 40 mile ride than many others, since I'm in the saddle for so much longer on a 40 mile ride.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-08-07, 01:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
If I ride 20 miles in an hour, then I must have found a 20 mile stretch that was all down hill.

We've had threads here in the past where we've reported on how many hours we ride, instead of miles. And I've written in threads on saddles and handlebars that I need more comfort on a 40 mile ride than many others, since I'm in the saddle for so much longer on a 40 mile ride.
I've been thinking about this a lot, and it seems to me that hours ridden is more important than miles, since we are at different fitness levels and ride different types/weight of bikes. For an elite roadie, 20 miles may be like a walk around the neighborhood. To me, it takes twice as long and at least twice as much effort. So, in terms of time, effort, and perseverence, I win.
Old 09-08-07, 01:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ah- But the thing to do if you want to ride your age-Is to convert to Kilometres and not tell us about it. Now if you are doing 10mph on a 20 mile ride on a heavy hybrid. then you have to train a bit more. And find that downhill course. Best by far is to find a road that follows a river and start upstream on the river.

And as to that hours in the saddle- Longest I have done was 100 miles in 13 hours- Less than 8 MPH but I did have an excuse. First time we did the Offroad South Downs Way on the Tandem

Spike Milligan
Old 09-08-07, 03:08 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
it seems to me that hours ridden is more important than miles
Fine. Then ride your age in hours.

FWIW, you'll get no sympathy from me for riding a Giant Cypress. I've done rides of 55, 69 and 74 miles on my Cypress DX--twice in cargo shorts, once in jeans.

Pics here and here.

Oh yeah, in one of them I was wearing a knee brace too.

Last edited by tsl; 09-08-07 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 03:20 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

Originally Posted by tsl
FWIW, you'll get no sympathy from me for riding a Giant Cypress. I've done rides of 55, 69 and 74 miles on my Cypress DX--twice in cargo shorts, once in jeans.

Pics here and here.
Sympathy? I was trying to make my point by comparing bikes. We hope to double this by the end of this year, getting there one ride at a time. Yesterday was almost 22 miles, today was almost 26, tomorrow ???, and this is after my recent layoff to give my hips a rest (to no avail) and, for me, that's just sayin' a lot.
Old 09-08-07, 03:21 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen
I've been thinking about this a lot, and it seems to me that hours ridden is more important than miles, since we are at different fitness levels and ride different types/weight of bikes. For an elite roadie, 20 miles may be like a walk around the neighborhood. To me, it takes twice as long and at least twice as much effort. So, in terms of time, effort, and perseverence, I win.
To mangle a cliché, whatever floats your bike. I happen to prefer
calories/hour and hours.
Old 09-08-07, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Average heart rate over the number of hours would be the most meaningful way of quantifying a recreational ride, I think. Noting the number of miles you cover is largely cosmetic...your cardiovascular system doesn't respond to that number.
Old 09-08-07, 03:31 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Now..............I spend a great deal of time building the bike that I will ride my age with..............I could probably "build" my age in hours...

Then.........Tom spends a great many hours sampling bikes.......................................
Old 09-08-07, 03:33 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are other factors in miles gone in a day. Such as:
How hard have you ridden in the past?
How strong a wind are you riding in?
How much air pressure are in your tires?
What kind of tires do you have?
How much does your bike + extras weigh?
How much do you weigh?
Temperature
What kind of shape you are in?
What kind of elevation are you climbing?
What is the condition of the road surface?
Traffic, stoplights & stop signs

It is hard enough to compare how I did on the same route 2 different days. Let alone compare 2 different people. But miles is our unit of expression.

Some day there will be a fancy power meter where all this will be taken into account. Hopefully for less than a days pay.
Old 09-08-07, 03:53 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If someone, say, rides a century in 5 hours, and someone else rides a century in 6.5 hours, did the fast rider do less work 'cause he was on the bike less time? Hmmm.....LOL
Old 09-08-07, 03:56 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Smiles per ride. 67 smiles per ride = ride my age!

Or, if you like, smiles per hour. 67 smiles per hour, and you get a speeding ticket.
Old 09-08-07, 03:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I can ride my age in minutes........seems to get harder every year, though.
Old 09-08-07, 05:01 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the 2006 Tour de France they ran a 181km time trial and the top riders averaged about 31 mph.

It would take about 3 hr 13 min to ride a century at 31 mph.

So if you ride for 3 hr 13 min, then you've been spinning your cranks just as long as a pro rider would to ride a century.

Another option is to use Venus years. They are extremely close to using the metric system. A Venus year is 0.615 Earth years. Or 1 Earth year = 1.625 (1 5/8ths) Venus years.

So if you ride 32 miles, that matches an age of 52 Venus years. And we all know that women are from Venus.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-08-07, 06:02 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
.... and I ride 20 miles in 2 hours (newbie on a heavy hybrid), can't I just multiply my mileage X 2 and say I rode 40 miles? I mean, isn't it time in the saddle that counts?

Hey now...If you're only 20...what are you doing posting in here with us geezers?
Old 09-08-07, 06:24 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I think you are absolutely correct. Aerobic exercise is based more on time and heart rate than on miles.
Old 09-08-07, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, by all this cadence would be a factor. You'd get more aerobic workout spinning at 90 rpm, going say 12 mph, than you would spinning 60 rpm going 17 mph over the same distance.
Old 09-08-07, 07:29 PM
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
All right, then I want extra credit for using the '54 raleigh sports to ride my age. If I keep going I'll own my age in bicycles.
Old 09-08-07, 09:28 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Sympathy? I was trying to make my point by comparing bikes.
No, you were requesting forbearance due to your perception of owning an inadequate bike--something along the lines of my bike makes it too hard . By offering this excuse, you're asking us to say, Oh, poor thing, suffering with an inadequate bike, and to act upon our sympathy and grant your excuse, Oh sure. Ride around the block once or twice and we'll pretend you did it four times. Or seven. Whatever..

Sorry. That defeats the purpose of the measuring in miles. It's a measurement that exists outside of equipment purchases. It therefore provides equal measurement for all. (Please remember that for some of us, a bicycle is a device used for transportation. The definitive measurement between two places is distance. No matter which of my bikes I ride, it's still the same distance to work and back.)

I don't buy your "bike comparison excuse" because I've exceeded by fully 50% the challenge of riding my age in miles on the same bike as yours.

You can too.

It takes perseverance and hard work, just like any other goal you may aspire to.

Shortcuts, or moving the goalposts will not provide you with the same personal satisfaction and sense of achievement as doing it for real.

Now if you want to use a completely different measurement system, riding 10,000 heartbeats or something, that's fine. Just don't come around saying your bike makes it worth 20,000.

As someone famous once said, "It's not about the bike."

Last edited by tsl; 09-08-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 10:39 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Then.........Tom spends a great many hours sampling bikes.......................................
I'm cutting back on that now. Have only test-ridden two bikes in the past two months. No present plans to ride anything. I've satisfied my curiosity and now have pretty much all of the information I need. If something interesting presents itself, like the chance to ride a Gunnar a few weeks ago, then I'll take it.

I did put 200+ miles in on test rides over the past year. Had a lot of fun.

Old 09-09-07, 07:35 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
I don't buy your "bike comparison excuse" because I've exceeded by fully 50% the challenge of riding my age in miles on the same bike as yours.

You can too.

It takes perseverance and hard work, just like any other goal you may aspire to.

Shortcuts, or moving the goalposts will not provide you with the same personal satisfaction and sense of achievement as doing it for real.
If it's all about distance - you are correct.

We have picked miles it seems (although our EU bretheran would suggest Km is acceptable).
If the OP chooses - for example - chinese miles they may be on target (2.88 chinese miles to the us survey mile). I actually think our UK friends should choose the Irish or Scottish mile (Irish - 0.78Irish miles/Survey Mile, 0.887 Scottish miles/Survey Mile)

What really boggles my mind is why this group has not standardized on the Texas Pie as the unit of measure - there are 5703 Texas Pies/Survey mile.

BTW yesterday I rode my age in Kilo Bamboo
And that was according to my GPS - although it does not take advatage of the GPS correctional signal so I might be off a bamboo or two.
Old 09-09-07, 07:46 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

Bailey's trike with him in it weighs just over 100 lbs and has the resistance of another wheel. Can I ride 25 miles and say it was 100?
Old 09-09-07, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tsl, I know this. I rode the same, exact ride on my Pilot after doing it on my 7500. Av speed was way up, time way down and I felt much less fatigued. Something was different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.