Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pedals for Commuter/Errand Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 01:09 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm building a Surly LHT up for commuting to work on Mondays and Fridays (hauling clothing and food...I'll ride the Madone Tuesday through Thursday).

On my road bikes, I've ridden Shimano clipless for years, but want something a bit more pedestrian-friendly on this bike.

So, I'm looking into various "clipless+platform" combinations.

Jenson USA has a pretty good deal on this shoe/pedal combo:

Only $110 for walkable shoes, and a pedal that can be used clipped in or with just the platform.

Any comments/recommendations?
Old 09-08-07, 01:20 PM
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go for LOOK compatible shoes - the cleats are prominent and are definitely not going to make for a walkable shoe.
Old 09-08-07, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I have regular old platform pedals (no clipless, no straps, no nothing) on my LHT, which I customized for the exact purpose that you'll be using yours for. My commute is 22 miles each way, although I only do it about once a week, and I sometimes take the bus part way on the way home.

Don't get me wrong -- I prefer clipless on my other bikes. But the platforms are actually pretty convenient for biking around town and running into stores, etc.
Old 09-08-07, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I have a set of these on my mountain bike. Nashbar Highlander pedal. As a platform they are great, fantastic grip, wouldn't want to ride them barefoot. On the clipless side they don't have much float, though they are easy to get in and out of the clip. Feel smooth, rock solid, wouldn't want to be clipped in more than 20 miles at at time, couldn't improve the platform side.
Old 09-08-07, 02:10 PM
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd slap a pair of old BMX pedals on there. Big, light, cheap, cool. What else is there?
Old 09-08-07, 02:16 PM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem with your selection is that you'll have to really try hard not to clip in to those pedals. Both sides allow you to clip in.

I'd say the shoes are fine, but find a pedal like the Shimano M324 or Performance Campus. Either of those allow you to clip in on one side and feature a standard pedal on the other with no chance of clipping in. I have those on my commuters and they're great with my work shoes from the gym to office.

The Campus pedal is only about $30 and I've used them for years without a problem. Any MTB shoe that is SPD compatible will work. There are lots. Might want to pick up the shoes locally so you get ones that fit.
Old 09-08-07, 02:16 PM
Seńor Miembro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Jenson page says that those shoes accept SPD-compatible cleats, but from the picture I can't see where they'd go. Assuming the shoes are fairly comfortable and do take cleats, then it looks like a decent deal.

I use a set of Shimano 324s myself (SPD clip on one side, flat platform on the other), and I have almost no problems with them. Great when I'm wearing my bike shoes, nice when I'm not. The only problem is when you have to flip the pedal over to get to the right side (usually to avoid having the clip dig into your non-bike shoes), but you tend to get pretty good at the little kick that's necessary.
Old 09-08-07, 02:23 PM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Wellgo WAM-D10 is the same pedal as the Nashbar Highlander. It's also $15 cheaper at Pricepoint everyday. Sometimes the Nashbar/Perf deals aren't what they seem:

https://pricepoint.com/detail/14234-2...10--Pedals.htm

I have them and they're pretty good. But I don't think they're necessary for tooling around town. The studs on the non clip-in side can really drill your ankle or calf. I know this from experience! I think they're better suited when you really need traction on the pedal like mountain biking. You could remove the studs with an allen wrench though and then they'd be great townie pedals.
Old 09-08-07, 02:24 PM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing
I use a set of Shimano 324s myself (SPD clip on one side, flat platform on the other), and I have almost no problems with them. Great when I'm wearing my bike shoes, nice when I'm not. The only problem is when you have to flip the pedal over to get to the right side (usually to avoid having the clip dig into your non-bike shoes), but you tend to get pretty good at the little kick that's necessary.
I've found that I can just pedal for 1/2 a revolution of the crank and the pedal is on the other side. It's natural and you can just feel for the right side.
Old 09-08-07, 03:12 PM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstrpete
I'd slap a pair of old BMX pedals on there. Big, light, cheap, cool. What else is there?
If you don't have far to travel, 1+. I did this when I was in college. Get those big bear trap pedals so your foot stays on the pedal.

If you are intent on clipless (and I don't blame you if you are; I get frustrated with platforms if I have to take them more than a few miles), I make do with mountain biking shoes with eggbeaters on my commuters. They are walkable and have stiff soles so that cycling is still pretty efficient (though noticeably more inefficient than my road shoes and look pedals). There is very little compromise unless you are walking a lot, which is why I used bear traps on campus; ride to campus then walk everywhere, not good for mountain bike shoes. If you are just popping into stores and running errands on your bike, mountain bike shoes work great and there is little compromise when it comes to cycling with them.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 09-08-07, 03:17 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I will second the M324's I had those on my MTB/Commuter for several years and was very pleased with them.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-08-07, 09:24 PM
Prairie Path Commuter

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mallet C is the Eggbeater version of platform/clipless pedals. I have them and they work very well.
Old 09-08-07, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not clipless, the MKS GR-9 is a good pedal...and you could add some PowerGrips for retention. Nicely made, comfortable pedal, and you could whatever shoes you want with it.
Old 09-08-07, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with Specialized Sonoma shoes. They're sold as "touring" shoes and the sole has some give to it so its actually decent to walk in. I only wish the cleat was a little more recessed but its not too bad.
I use them in conjunction with either Shimano SPD M747s or M520s
Old 09-08-07, 10:27 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robmcl
The Mallet C is the Eggbeater version of platform/clipless pedals. I have them and they work very well.
+1. I got them as my first pair of clipless pedals for my Bad Boy, replaced them with Quattros for a while, then decided to go back to the Mallets on the BB because they're worry-free when riding around town. I don't have to be clipped in at all to get a good start from stoplights. Moved the Quattros to my new road bike, too.

Plus, the Mallet has a grippier surface than the Acid, making it more like a regular BMX/rat trap pedal with regular shoes. You'll feel the spring under the ball of your feet, though; could be uncomfortable on longer rides, but no big deal around the neighborhood.
Old 09-08-07, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of the Shimano M324s on my single speed Cross-Check. I like them for the uphill starts so if I miss the clip the first time I still can get the bike moving forward (very important on the SS). I just bought a pair of the performance campus pedals for my new LHT (geared commuter). So far so good! They work with regular Shimano cleats so I can wear my sandals and ride whichever bike I want.