Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First Bike: 1985 Torelli Super Strada, Pantographed. Any Info? Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First Bike: 1985 Torelli Super Strada, Pantographed. Any Info? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1985 Torelli Super Strada... Any Info? Thoughts?

I've been lurking around here for most of the summer so I suppose it's time I posted about my bike in hopes of getting some feedback and, more importantly, a bit more information about it.

I Returned from Europe earlier this summer and wanted a set of wheels to get around. My priority was basically to get the best value purchase I could, given my limited budget. Since I actually enjoy researching things and I appreciate the "uniqueness" of gear such as bikes, finding a quality vintage bike seemed like the way to go.

I eventually found this, a mid 80's Torelli Super Strada. Decision was based primarily on 1) good reputation of Torelli as a manuf. of quality bikes, 2) rarity of the model, the pantographing making this more so, 3) decent (albeit budget) range of Campy components, and 4) the size - I'm 6'5" so I was looking at 62-63cm frames, and obviously there's not an overwhelming selection of them.

On to the questions.. the seller claimed the bike is a 1985 model, but I haven't been able to dig up too much info on it. Actually, almost none. The serial no. on the frame is "01066383", with a "62" stamped into the other side beneath the BB. Assuming the latter refers to the size, but could the last two digits of the serial perhaps mean it's an '83, not an '85? I read somewhere that this model was quite similar to the Torpado bikes being produced at the time, and indeed if you check out pictures and spec sheet on this page you'll see there are lots of similarities. I also know there's a Torelli panto'd stem in the same type style - I saw it on a similar period SS for sale on eBay (but it didn't have the chainwheels or post, and the frame was sky blue).

I'm also curious about the tubeset. I've searched a bit for Oria tubesets, but haven't been able to find anything definitive or nearly as helpful as a timeline. There's nothing on the frame sticker to indicate which range it might be. Any chance I learn more from the serial then? Anyone know someone I could pass along this info to? Lastly, it seems to me that there's a disconnect or lapse between the older Torelli bikes (such as mine) and the newer models - logo, colors, etc. Is there something to this?

Questions aside, I love this bike. It's lean, solid, and now that I've got a bit more experience w/ the downtube shifters, it's amazingly fun to ride. I'm chuffed that it's old and rare and still in such good condition, and I've gotten quite a few comments and compliments on the pantographing.

I'll be needing to replace the wheels in the offseason; I'm 220lbs +/- 5 and was thinking of lacing NOS hubs to some modern wheels, perhaps Velocity's. If anyone has a recommendation..

Some pictures posted below. More & higher-res can be found on my photo page and velo page, pics of parts here.

Looking forward to any comments / feedback / info anyone may have. TIA.

-MrC

Parts rundown: Pearl white lugged Tubi Oria tubeset, not sure what model name though. Gipiemme horz. drouputs, Campy Super Record cranks & levers, Record calipers, Nuovo hubs (laced to Ambrosio Elite 19's), 980 front/rear deraileurs. Ofmega headset & bot. bracket, pantographed chainwheels & seatpost. Cinelli 1R 120mm stem w/ flop 'n' chop Giro d'Italia bars (bike came with TTT stem & drop bars), Selle Turbomatic 4 seat (replacing some gel POS). Candy Bros. clipless pedals.

As far as I know all of the parts listed are OEM, with the excep. of the stem, bars, seat & pedals I've replaced. Because I do a fair bit of riding with traffic, the drop bars weren't treating me well as I was on the hoods a lot, and the toe straps were a nightmare to use in traffic (poor weight balance in the pedals really). I had been under the assumption that the non-Record Campy parts were all Nuovo range, but after checking the catalog it appears that's not the case (link below to pictures of parts).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img2_006.jpg (94.9 KB, 209 views)
img_061.jpg (96.6 KB, 138 views)
img_059.jpg (95.6 KB, 139 views)
image-002.jpg (85.6 KB, 136 views)
img_068.jpg (88.4 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by MrCheviot; 09-09-07 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-05-09, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torelli Super Strada

Do u know where i can get a frame like yours?
Old 04-06-09, 06:01 AM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
The NR hubs will have a date stamp on the locknuts. Although it's not a definitive date, it can give you an "earliest build date". If it's 85 (or later) the date stamp is on the outside (11=1985), sometime in the 80's the stamp moved to the outside from the inside of the locknut, so a little disassembly will be required on earlier hubs.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 04-06-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-06-09, 06:24 AM

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is one sick bike. I wouldnt do a thing to it, Ambrosio 19 are pretty solid. I would say for youre first bike you are way ahead of the learning curve. Congratulations and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-06-09, 08:48 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
I have no doubt you have a high-quality bike there, with a very fine Italian frame. But it has a less clear history than many bike brands.

Torelli as a bike brand is a name placed on Italian frames by the importer, Torelli Imports of Camarillo CA (https://www.torelli.com/). The CEO, known familiarly as Chairman Bill, loves Italian bikes and all things associated with them. Torelli was been the importer for Guerciotti, and has imported and distributed Mondonico frames since around 1983 or so. I have a Mondo that is probably one of their first, but it has no serial numbers.

Torelli sourced Torelli frames from a selection of Italian contract makers. Some were actually made by Antonio Mondonico. To get any semblance of specific history, you'd have to contact Chairman Bill directly. From experience he'll tell you what he knows and thinks, but might or might not have anything like build records to share.

Is there an overlap with Torpado? Who knows?

Road Fan