Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts of a New Bike.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Thoughts of a New Bike.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-07, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts of a New Bike.

Being that I work at a Trek/Fisher/LeMond/Bianchi dealer part time I do get the chance to see and ride a lot of bikes. Next spring, or before, I will be buying my first Road'ish bike in many many years. I had a surprise waiting on me yesterday in a new 2008 Lemond Poprad. One very nice bike and very close to what I THINK I am looking for.

The other Mistress might be a 2008 Trek Portland and looking at the spec's the two bikes are very very close. Major difference is in the Frame with the Lemond getting TruTemper Platinum OX tubing and the Trek with the Black Series Alpha Aluminum tube set.

The Poprad Disc is a beautiful classic looking bike and is stunning with it's Red Metallic Paint.
The Portland is very close in design and I have not seen the new off-white Pearl Paint yet.

The Trek gets a full Shimano 105 group where as the LeMond has almost the same but with the Bontrager Compact Double Crank spaced for Cyclocross.

I want something FAST, Durable and Classy. While I could swing a new Pilot 5.0 or maybe a Madone 5.2, I do try and ride bikes closer to my real budget and what "MY" Customers would ride. I never have been and never will be a racer, but I do enjoy the occasional burst of speed.

Most of me says to stick with the Steel is Real bike. The one we have weighs in at 22 lbs built up in a 56cm frame. This is a lot of bike and with a sey of road tires would be plenty quick in City Riding or out in the Country. The Portland with it's 105 Triple would give me wider range gearing and with its rack mounts might be more versatile.

So... I throw this out to the folks here and ask for your opinions.

Chris
Old 09-09-07, 12:33 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the white one-----------------always.

Think DG will appreciate that??? BTW my new bike is also white.

Seriously, working in you LBS, you get to ride lots of bikes. When you find the bike, you'll know and our opinion won't mean beans. There will be a lot more new 08's also. Happy hunting!
Old 09-09-07, 12:47 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ang1sgt
Most of me says to stick with the Steel is Real bike.
By all means - with steel rims, a steel stem and bars, and steel crank.

TCS
Old 09-09-07, 06:17 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not only is steel real - but if you line yourself up an a route with high tension power lines you can get a boost from the magnetic field. Studies have shown that white bikes are slower, red bikes are the fastest as they tend not to let thier riders fall asleep.

I hope you get the shop form discount - I wish I could buy a bike shop form, might actually be able to afford a decent new bike.
Old 09-09-07, 06:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tcs
Steel rims? Perhaps a bit more steel than you really need to be "real". I love my mile-gobbling, crash-worthy, long lasting steel bikes, but wouldn't mind something carbon in my garage just for variety's sake.
(And so my more trendy riding partners wouldn't be so embarassed to be seen with me.)
Old 09-09-07, 06:44 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Chris,

You have ten days to test ride my Portland while it's still in your shop. I haven't ridden as many bikes as you, but it is the sweetest riding bike I've ever ridden. My other two bikes are aluminum, so I'm familiar with the species. The Portland is completely unlike either one of them.

That said, the Poprad is a nice-looking bike. Its geometry differs a bit in the front end, and of course, it's a straight top tube, not sloped like the Portland. I expect it would have a more lively feel.

I may kick myself next year for saying this, but there's a nice, 2006 steel Bianchi hanging from the balcony over your front service area. It's the last of the Campy triples, and from what I've read lately about Ultra-Drive bearings, it may be a good thing that it's still the traditional square-taper BB. I kinda have my eye on that bike for next spring or summer if it's still around.

Then again, if you can afford a Madone, you can also afford a Seven. (Well, at least at full retail they're about the same price.) Take the Alaris or that pale yellow Axiom Steel for a spin.
Old 09-09-07, 07:08 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain
I love my mile-gobbling, crash-worthy, long lasting steel bikes, but wouldn't mind something carbon in my garage just for variety's sake.
(And so my more trendy riding partners wouldn't be so embarassed to be seen with me.)
I would not trade my steel bike either. In a club ride Sat a guy was braggin on the weight of his CF bike as we hit a steep hill, I motored right by and said - "Not the best time for such a statement - I have to drive this anvil up the hill"
I also want a CF bike in the garage (red of course) - some of them are just so darn pretty, they gotta make you want to just go faster and the psychology of it is so important.

Life isn't anything without a good rationalization now and then.
Old 09-10-07, 06:22 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a bunch of Steel Riders at the Shop. It really makes you wonder when you see the split in what the Shop folks ride.

Bruce (TSL) Thanks for the offer. I try and respect Customer's bikes. Other than taking it down and cleaning it and making the adjustments to it the other day, I would not dream of riding it. Thanks for pointing out the geometry differences. The Poprad BLINDED me with it's paint on Saturday. Just sitting there I was stunned by it's looks.

The Madone I've looked at is one of the entry level one's. Still a bit out of my reach and as much as the Seven's draw my interest, they are more than I want to spend also. As a Former Mechanical Quality Assurance Inspector that used to work Government Projects, I can see the quality and care that goes into the Seven Frames. They are artful in their techniques and finish.

I guess I need to toss a set of pedals on the LeMond and take her out for a spin maybe tonight. I have a meeting to attend at the shop, so going in early and taking this bike out might do me some good.

Being a part timer at the shop (2 days a week and dropping fast into Fall) I am not sure of what level of Discount I can receive. I just know I need to get a Road Bike and start pounding out some miles next year, more so than I did this year.

Thanks Folks!

Chris
Old 09-10-07, 06:29 AM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definitely....go w/the steel frame.

Steel is real and I love the feel

buh-sides, how much longer can carbon be cool? Wally-world has a full carbon bike spec'd w/ultegra for 1898.

Colleen
Old 09-10-07, 08:37 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From my experience, once you get up into the Shimano 105 level or higher, it is pretty hard to find a bad bike. The competititon is just too tough. Different bikes will ride differently based mainly on geometry and angles and (from what I have heard) frame materials are not that big a deal. I generally use a few criteria for picking a bike. Do I like the ride? And do I like the color? There is something about a sharp looking bike that adds to the experience.
Old 09-10-07, 10:06 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ang1sgt
I guess I need to toss a set of pedals on the LeMond and take her out for a spin maybe tonight.
Do it! Join us on the Monday Night Small Ring Ride. 6PM (well, closer to 6:15 by the time Shana's done changing) and starts at the shop