Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The Carryring POWER of Carry Me

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 07:58 AM
Small wheels ARE better!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok ok, here is another rave about this micro-bike but guess what I discovered? Its ability to take on a good size luggage bag on its rear rack blew me away... No need for taxis!

My recent trip to KL, Malaysia.

OnF
Old 09-12-07, 01:24 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't your heels hit the suitcase? I wonder if you could fit a suitcase big enough to put the Carryme inside.
Old 09-12-07, 01:26 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by makeinu
Don't your heels hit the suitcase? I wonder if you could fit a suitcase big enough to put the Carryme inside.
yeah, that's what i was thinking too. i have a hard time with stuff on the rack of my dahon.
Old 09-12-07, 06:52 PM
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu

There is more than enuf heel clearance. Quite well design I must say...

Becoz of the length of the CM, being a "standing" foldie bike, it wont fit into any regular size suitcase. But it travels great in its own bag and if need to be checked in, use the original packing box for great protection.

So far only my BF Tikit can fit into its own suitcase and tow it along... but it cost four times more than this Carry Me and is not as easy to handle around congested places.

Last edited by OldiesONfoldies; 09-12-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 07:37 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks awesome! Certainly makes me want one for trips.

What do you think of the chain - it is a special part, isn't it? Is it easy and not too expensive to get hold of?
Old 09-12-07, 07:50 PM
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain is not yr regular bike chain but more like a chain saw size one. The distributor have spares so no worries in this part of the woods.

Someone wrote to tell me its a 58T chain ring and 13T sprocket, which would be about a 9.25" diameter chainring (normal 1/2" pitch chain.) About a 6" chainring, so the chain pitch must be around 1/3.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-13-07, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the crank length is 160mm. That might be enough difference (10-15mm shorter) from "regular" cranks to have good heel clearance with oversize luggage (unless you have clown-size feet). You might not be able to put 170mm or longer cranks on it anyway because then your pedals might scrape the ground.
Old 09-13-07, 07:05 AM
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, gd point indeed. Thks Skidurts. One drawback of the CM is that the pedals get scraped easily during corners if you are pedalling. So must be mindful of its lower than usual clearance...

That said, the Carry Me is one cheap and great value urban commuter. Perfect for twinning with buses/trains, more than capable for 3-5km rides. The ability to carry stuff of course, is its forte!
Old 09-13-07, 10:22 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Looks awesome! Certainly makes me want one for trips.

What do you think of the chain - it is a special part, isn't it? Is it easy and not too expensive to get hold of?
Originally Posted by OldiesONfoldies
Chain is not yr regular bike chain but more like a chain saw size one. The distributor have spares so no worries in this part of the woods.

Someone wrote to tell me its a 58T chain ring and 13T sprocket, which would be about a 9.25" diameter chainring (normal 1/2" pitch chain.) About a 6" chainring, so the chain pitch must be around 1/3.

Does that make sense?
Actually the pitch is 1/4". It is a standard #25 chain used on lots of electric scooters, exercise bicycles, small robots, etc. In the other Carryme thread I posted many sources for this part so you don't have to depend on the distributor. However, I'm not so sure about how easy it would be to get spare chainrings/sprockets because they would have to fit the cranks/hub in addition to the #25 chain.

P.S. One of the A-bike's double drive trains also uses a #25 chain and sprocket (the other uses standard 1/2" pitch).
Old 09-13-07, 07:56 PM
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thks Makeinu for the useful info! Any interesting adventures you did on your CM lately?
Old 09-14-07, 10:27 AM
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Is that the standard carrying rack on the back? The rack on the web site looks different; it also has wheels.

How's the bike handling with that kind of load?
Old 09-14-07, 12:41 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldiesONfoldies
Thks Makeinu for the useful info! Any interesting adventures you did on your CM lately?
I haven't been riding it much lately. I started working at a different location. The new location is only a few miles from my apartment. So, to save money and get more exercise, I've been riding the whole way instead of using mass transit. By the entrance they have a couple of bike racks under an awning (in front of the security guard booth), which makes the situation pretty ideal for locking up. Since I haven't needed to fold other than to take my ride in/out of the closet I've mostly been using my Downtube.

Originally Posted by spambait11
Is that the standard carrying rack on the back? The rack on the web site looks different; it also has wheels.

How's the bike handling with that kind of load?
It's the same rack. The rack wheels are also hinges that allow the rack to unfold. If you can imagine, it's like there are two racks attached to the wheels: One of the racks is also attached to the frame, while the other is free to swing around the wheel.

Last edited by makeinu; 09-14-07 at 01:00 PM.