Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Another new member

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Another new member

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another new member

I found this place after registering at cyclingforums.com a few days ago. This place seems better.

A little about myself:

I'm a 17 year old male and I'm about to start my senior year of high school. After that I will be in the Army with a Special Forces contract, so I'm busy preparing for that.

I've loosely followed cycling through the internet for a few years, but only to track Lance's progress in the TdF. This year I was hooked and watched the Tour on TV everday and I want to get some road races in before I graduate and ship off to basic training. I don't even own a bike yet (of any worth: Trek 1200), but I have plenty of money in the bank so I think I'll be purchasing a Trek 5200 and then having it shipped when I arrive at Fort Bragg for Special Forces training.

Alright, enough rambling.
Old 08-08-03, 07:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hiya Torn and welcome to the forums

when you say specials forces contract what do you mean? ranger?
when i was in the army you couldnt go directly into the green berets or delta force (these are generally whats thought of as special forces).
you have to be an NCO before you can go into either of those. e4/corporal for green beret medic and e5/sergeant for any other green beret job. e6/staff sargeant for delta.
not to rain on your parade, the army can be great for both a career, or a single tour, just be careful the recruiter isnt jerkin you around a bit, make sure you know exactly what he means when he says special forces contract, and make sure thats what you want. if he meant ranger you should be fine, and while a ranger is a high speed hardcore soldier it's just not what comes to mind when someone says special forces.
good luck in the military and remember you'll get out of it what you put in
Old 08-08-03, 01:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sir, but there is a "new" (it was incorporated during the Vietnam War to my knowledge) program called the 18x Program, or as it's referred to by SF guys, "SF babies". I don't know anything about Delta nor do I want to at this point. I find it's better to focus on the 25 meter target before going after the 500m.

My enlistment path is thus (with some slight changes)

Basic
OSUT
Airborne School
PLDC
SOPC
SFAS
And if I make it through SFAS, I go on to the SFQC, or Special Forces Qualification Course, aka "The Q". After that, I get to my group and start training and whatnot.

If you want more info on the 18x Program, head over to https://www.goarmy.com and click on the "Special Forces" section. Or you can head over to https://www.socnetcentral.com/vb and check out the Special Forces forum - lots of AD and retired SF guys hang around there, some who are instructors at SFAS and the Q Course right now.

P.S. - Not to sound disrespectful, but when people say Special Forces, they typicall mean in the general sense - the correct term for this is special operations forces - Special Forces has always been Army Special Forces aka "The Green Berets".

Thanks for your concern!

Last edited by Torn Victor; 08-08-03 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-08-03, 01:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahh good sounds like you know what your getting into. i just wanted to make sure your recruiter wasnt giving you bad info, trust me its been known to happen.
good luck, that looks like a very exciting path.
Old 08-08-03, 02:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It certainly seems like it will be.

I have a buddy who wanted to go Option 40 (Ranger contract) and ended up getting messed around on by his computer and ended up with just an Airborne contract and instead of going to RIP like he should have, he was shipped off to Korea.

Sneaky recruiters...