Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Drive shaft folder

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Drive shaft folder

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 03:33 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drive shaft folder

Don't know if anyone has seen this. Very cool.

https://www.dynamicbicycles.com/buy/Bikes.php?prodid=60

Last edited by yamcha; 09-18-07 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 03:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seen what?
Old 09-18-07, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ontheroadagain
seen what?
errr...I guess the picture up there?
Old 09-18-07, 06:14 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Yeah, this and similar bikes crop up every now and then. Shaft drives are low maintenance but highly inefficient and heavy, flame war starting in 3, 2, 1....
Old 09-18-07, 06:28 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5% power loss ain't much.

But 5% is what they say. I am not convinced that you qould lose any power at all. I've not seen any legitmate tests that say so.

Last edited by yamcha; 09-18-07 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 09:24 PM
hubgears

Bikes: Dahon Curve SL, 2008 with Nexus Premium 8 hub, and many modifications.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Dynamic Sidekick 7 speed shaft drive folder for about 3 weeks. I bought it with a 30 day trial offer. The people at Dynamic are very good to deal with.
I really liked having an internal gear hub, and being totally chain free by having a shaft drive was wonderful.
So, why did I send it back? Mainly, it did not fit my long legs, without going beyond the seatpost min mark. I did not want to do that long term. The new model will have a one inch longer seattube, and so it should fit me, 6ft tall with long legs. I could have added a ButtBuddy to gain 2 inches, but I did not want to invest that in the 7 speed bike. I would only own one with the Nexus 8 speed hub. I needed a lot more low range, without giving up on the high range. The Nexus 8 speed will do that for me, (307% range instead of 244%). They did not have the 8 speed available at the time, and I did not know that the 7 speed would not work that well for me until I tried it.
The bike also did not fold well, did not stay folded, and rarely stood up by itself. I used it as a "lay flat" by only folding the handlebar post, lowering the seat, and rolling it into the backseat of my car. If I get a new one when they become available in Oct, I might cut out the frame hinge, and weld the frame to make it a layflat. The folding is as bad as a cheap folder, nothing like a Bromptom or Dahon. Dynamic wanted to have Dahon make frames for them, but Dahon was not interested. Dynamic was receptive to my idea that they add a lighter layflat to their line. This bike was very heavy, 32 pounds.
I may buy the Crosstown 8 instead from Dynamic. It is a full size, non folding road bike, but it is only 27 pounds, and has a wide gear inch range since it has 700C wheels. I would opt for the lower range drive, but you can read their gear inches and decide for yourself. If I add folding pedals, and remove the front wheel, I could fit it in my backseat as a layflat. I drive a very small 1991 Civic SI hatchback that I bought new and really like.
I would definitely recommend a Dynamic bike to anyone who wanted a very clean and low maintianance bike. If you get the Sidekick, I would recommend upgrading to the 8 speed. You would have a bike that rode and maneuvered well with its 20" wheels, and can work well as a layflat, but remember it does not fold well.
Old 09-18-07, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks BB49 for sharing your experience. I think it might fit me well, since I'm 5'7".
I sure hope they offer it with a Nexus 8 hub in the future.

Last edited by DVC45; 09-19-07 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 11:40 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB49 what can you tell us about the drive shaft experience?
Old 09-19-07, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re:shaft drive

BB49, how did you get the folks that sell the butt buddy to respond? Their online order request doesn't work and they have not answered my email from a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 09-19-07, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Say What?! Ok here goes, i know i run the risk of starting a Flame war but i am just trying to be helpful...

My 0.02 cents:

NOT cool at all that bike, Shaft drive in general is pretty much "uncool".. Reasons:

1. Inefficient, i Have seen tests though i would have to sort through old magazines and then i might find them.

2. Heavy as $4** ! Lots of clunky steel bits make for a very heavy drive system. A bike is not a locomotive, it doesn't need a shaft drive.

3. Proprietary and expensive parts that are very hard to get... What do you think happens when the drive parts develop slop, play and wear out? You are forced to buy from very limited sellers at a premium. Forget about stopping in at just any bike shop and getting a new cog and chain...

4. Chain drive is very effective, very proven and very affordable.. why mess with it? The only advantage having to worry less about getting stains, if that is a huge deal to anyone, light and fully enclosed chain guards can be had.

5. In the case of this particular bike,.. look at it! Look at the Geometry! It seems badly laid out and designed to me, the saddle tube is very close to the steerer tube, very cramped position.
Lastly almost every part on that bike screams : Cheap and dodgy = will break quickly.

Plastic pedals, very cheap saddle, rims and other essential parts. Even their own warranty does NOT inspire confidence in either their bike or their drive system:

Shaft Drive - 2 years ...!!!
All other components - 1 year

@ Yamcha. Please don't take this personal but i have seen you ask for opinions and advice in a few threads now. When it is given (often by knowledgeable people in a useful and friendly fashion) you seem to disregard and disagree with it almost completely. If you don't want input why ask for it? Especially as you yourself have said somewhere you prefer the cold and hard "truth" and not mincing words.

Anyway, not trying to offend anyone here! Just trying to figure out these type of threads and at the same time prevent anyone from buying something substandard... at $ 599 no less!!

I mean just read the above post (and that is from someone who actually liked the bike!) :

"The bike also did not fold well, did not stay folded, and rarely stood up by itself. I used it as a "lay flat" by only folding the handlebar post, lowering the seat, and rolling it into the backseat of my car. If I get a new one when they become available in Oct, I might cut out the frame hinge, and weld the frame to make it a layflat. The folding is as bad as a cheap folder, nothing like a Bromptom or Dahon. Dynamic wanted to have Dahon make frames for them, but Dahon was not interested."

For that money one could buy a Higher end Dahon, Downtube and more, i just don't see the appeal.

Last edited by v1nce; 09-19-07 at 12:15 PM.