Old 09-19-07, 12:20 AM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Team in Training, Solvang 2008

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know I've been confirmed to be a Team in Training mentor for the 2008 Solvang Century. I rode as a participant in the 2007 Solvang season and it meant so much to me that I couldn't pass the chance to come back. Team in Training is the fundraising arm of the Leukemia & Lymphoma society. My mom had Leukemia, and the treatments and drugs coming from the LLS research saved her life.

The premise is simple, participants raise funds and go through a 20 week training season (17 training rides) in preparation for the century. It's quite likely you've all seen them out in force at any number of events.

It's often put out that this is a great way for a new cyclist or a cyclist looking for a way to train up to a century to go. This is true, so if you have friends, significant others etc who marvel at your cycling achievements and would like to join in the fun, mention it to them and send them my way for questions.

You may be surprised, but there are also some serious cyclists who join up for the cause. Our fast group finished the Solvang century in under 6 hours (total time) last year.

Joining the team is more than just getting in shape to ride, it's about making a commitment to a cause and having a great time riding your bike. (Our 'sightseeing' group finished the Solvang century in 12.5 hours, talk about commitment!!!!)

To keep a long story short, I'm recruiting for participants. Information sessions begin this Saturday and the season begins on 10/20. I'm mentoring for the Eastside Los Angeles team. There is also a Westside team, and I believe a San Diego team (I don't know much about the San Diego team, but if you're interested and live down there, I can get the info to point you in the right direction.) The Eastside LA team will be meeting in Pasadena, Griffith Park and Woodland Hills. The Westside LA team will meet in Long Beach, Palos Verdes and Malibu.

PM me or respond if you have questions and thank you for your consideration.

RJ

PS, I'm training for KOM in addition to this (no the Tnt training rides won't get you in shape for those rides) so if anyone really wants to get after it, it can be done.
Old 09-19-07, 12:47 AM
1 Serving Per Container

Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good show Ron !!!

What a great cause and you will be an excellent mentor !
Old 09-19-07, 10:03 AM
Climbing better

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron,

Congratulations, on becoming a mentor, it is a great cause. My wife was and is currently involved with Team in Training. Her first ride as a participant was last fall's Tour de Tucson, then this spring she mentored the Lake Tahoe century, and she was asked to mentor a second time for the Tour de Tucson. It has helped in two ways, she learned to ride and is continually getting better, and we were able to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma society.

This Saturday, I am providing SAG support for their training ride in Malibu. Currently her group is about 7 weeks in to their training period.
Old 09-19-07, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lee, I didn't realize she re-upped for Tuscon, that's awesome!
Old 09-19-07, 10:25 AM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, Ron! I agree that you will be a great mentor. TNT is a wonderful organization.
Old 09-19-07, 12:11 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good job Ron!

OT question: Any suggestions for dealing with the TNT runners on the bike paths? I had a whole gaggle of them taking up the entire width of the path the other day, and they were just looking at me as I nearly rode into them. And this was on a very busy stretch of the path in MDR, right near the boat docks.

Is there some way to ID the leaders/mentors in a group like that?
Old 09-19-07, 12:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Good job Ron!

OT question: Any suggestions for dealing with the TNT runners on the bike paths? I had a whole gaggle of them taking up the entire width of the path the other day, and they were just looking at me as I nearly rode into them. And this was on a very busy stretch of the path in MDR, right near the boat docks.

Is there some way to ID the leaders/mentors in a group like that?
I've heard that problem before. Of course I have that problem with large groups whether its TnTers or not.

The mentors should all be wearing TnT jerseys. Though I've noticed the participant runners tend to wear the jersey's more often than the cyclists do. Just ask someone in a jersey and they'll point them out to you.

I don't know anyone on the running side, but I'll ask for some names/emails from the cycling coordinator and send them a note asking them to make that a point of emphasis. A mob on the MUP's definitely isn't the image they're going for.
Old 09-19-07, 12:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad to say, Ronjon, I had that problem more times than I can count, and it almost always involves a large TnT running group. In exactly the same area that DScott described.

I have noticed also that most of them stay on the service road through Playa, but a lot of them do take up the bike path as well. I have never known who to talk about that, either. It's especially bad in the months leading up to the L.A. Marathon.
Old 09-19-07, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happytime
I have noticed also that most of them stay on the service road through Playa, but a lot of them do take up the bike path as well. I have never known who to talk about that, either. It's especially bad in the months leading up to the L.A. Marathon.
You should be on the road in that section anyway. It's wide, and speed bump/ sand/ rollerblade/ baby carriage/ mob free. Plus, I happen to know for a fact you exceed the speed limit through that section, you practically dropped us the other day!
Old 09-19-07, 03:26 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the help. I did offer a *friendly reminder* about which side of the road they should be on, and repeated it for the folks in the back of the group. I assume they're new-ish, and needed some help.

If you're talking about the service road between MDR and Dockweiler beach, it now sports 3 yellow-black striped speed-bumps. As a result, I just learned how to bunny hop today.

sorry to veer off topic...
Old 09-19-07, 03:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Thanks for the help. I did offer a *friendly reminder* about which side of the road they should be on, and repeated it for the folks in the back of the group. I assume they're new-ish, and needed some help.

If you're talking about the service road between MDR and Dockweiler beach, it now sports 3 yellow-black striped speed-bumps. As a result, I just learned how to bunny hop today.

sorry to veer off topic...
No worries on the off topic. I know those speed bumps. As a result of those, I now prefer to ride on the street above the path that goes by the plant and parallels the path. Much more pleasant up there!
Old 09-19-07, 05:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronjon10
you practically dropped us the other day!
Yeah right, like that's ever gonna happen!