Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I was just wondering

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I was just wondering

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 03:52 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I was just wondering

As some of you may know, I went an entire month without so much as touching a bike during my trip to Ukraine (I never could track down Vino). I rode for the first time this weekend, and, much to my surprise, my legs felt good and I turned in one of the quicker training rides I've done in a while. The fact that I was spurred on by my son-in-law, and that we had the glorious experience of stumbling onto a community Huffyfest, thusly making us feel like rockets in a field of tanks, probably didn't hurt either.

So, if I showed that much improvement after taking one month off, wouldn't it be better if I rode just once every three or four months? Or even better, ride just once a year, saving my effort for the Old Kentucky Home Tour, one of the harder centuries around?

I was just wondering.
Old 09-19-07, 03:55 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've tried it. After several years off I was a virtual rocket....for about
fifty yards!!!
Old 09-19-07, 05:31 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if that strategy would work with regard to posting?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-19-07, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've not taken a month off, but after about two weeks due to vacation and a bad cold, I seemed to about as fast but not in the same aerobic shape (although maybe that had to do with the cold).
Old 09-19-07, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You might have experienced the feeling of having recovered from chronic over training.

On a normal cycling day, you should ride easy enough so that you're not fatigued the next day, so that whenever you want to ride hard, you're fresh enough to do it. This is like you felt after your layoff. If you feel fatigued or flat, it probably means you're pushing too hard in general; chronic over training (slight as it may be, still there). The vast majority of your training (if you are thinking of it as training rather than just riding), should be in the aerobic zone (e.g. zone 2) which requires quite a bit of discipline to go that slow. It can really feel lazy to those who feel they must always go hard for it to be beneficial.

What many/most of us think of as a good workout is likely too hard for the majority of your riding - again assuming you're trying to ride for training goals as opposed to just for the fun of it.

But this is exactly what is the "funnest" type of ride (or xc ski) for me. Often known as "Zone 3" or junk zone. It's fast enough to be fun and you think you're working hard. But it is too fast for good base work and doesn't leave you fresh for a good quality hard ride. At the same time, it's not hard enough for goal oriented speed or interval work. No purpose other than fun (which is why I do so much of it - I ride for fun and general fitness, not trainig goals).

I think road cyclists, are some of the worst at thinking they have to hammer and compete on every ride. "Dropping" and hammering are a couple of the most common words heard on these forums. I'm not orienting that statement at you, OP, just a musing on my part.

"Fitness through rest" is more true than you think!
Old 09-19-07, 06:03 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I've ridden little this season, and went for a short ride today on the road bike. Wish I had the same results as you. I was checking to see if the hub bearings were binding! Gotta find a new job so I have more opportunities to ride!
Old 09-19-07, 06:14 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As some philosopher may have said, "A field that rests produces a bountiful crop." Or maybe he said something about taking more EPO.
Old 09-21-07, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
As some of you may know, I went an entire month without so much as touching a bike during my trip to Ukraine (I never could track down Vino). ...
The rest of your post after this first sentence was cute, and I don't really want to deliver smack; however,

You went to the Ukraine, and couldn't find the rider who lives in Khazakstan?

Are you related to that 16 year-old "beauty" contestant from South Carolina?
Old 09-21-07, 05:54 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by skiffrun
The rest of your post after this first sentence was cute, and I don't really want to deliver smack; however,

You went to the Ukraine, and couldn't find the rider who lives in Khazakstan?

Are you related to that 16 year-old "beauty" contestant from South Carolina?
This will require a recovery..............
Old 09-21-07, 06:23 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I think a few days wouldn't hurt, but a month, I think I would forget how to ride.