Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Headphones / Earbuds Suggestions

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Headphones / Earbuds Suggestions

Old 09-24-07, 09:38 AM

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Headphones / Earbuds Suggestions

BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, READ THIS!
I tried searching the forums and saw some threads on this subject but they all had sparse suggestions and plenty of people crapping on the thread about how they think you shouldn't ride with headphones. PLEASE GET PAST THAT FACT and simply post your suggestions as to which headphones work and why.

I'm looking for suggestions on a good set of headphones / earbuds for riding, with the primary quality being that they stay in the ear and secondary quality that they don't block out too much outside sound. I'm not likely to choose a set with an around-the-ear clip, just an in-ear set.

I have some KOSS "Sparkplug" earbuds with a soft expandable cushion but they isolate too much outside noise and still work their ways out of my ears.

These are on sale at Circuit City this week and look like they might be good: Sony Fontopia Ear-Bud Headphones Model: MDREX71SL. Anyone use these?

And finally, since sound quality isn't all that big a deal with all the wind noise, I'm considering getting one of the more typical earbud sets and augmenting them with Jabra EarGels. I've used a two-way with a Jabra EarGel and can't recall it ever coming off in a race, even without tape. Has anyone else tried this?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Old 09-24-07, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sures, but for riding I just use an old pair of iPod ones with one earpiece cut off. An in-ear isolating headphone is dangerous, imo for cycling. I like that the ipod ones loosely sits in my right ear without knocking out all the other sound.
Old 09-25-07, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the ipod earbuds block out wind noise?
Old 09-26-07, 07:32 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had been using the slip from slipsteam. They do two things. They cut down alot on wind noise because they create a spoiler of sorts in front of your ear. They also can hold an ear bud. With the wind noise greatly reduced you don't need to pump up the volume so much to hear what you are playing. That is especially nice if your speed varies alot. When I tried other alternatives I'd end up with the sound blaring too much when I stopped and too quiet when I got really going.

slip page
Old 09-26-07, 09:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use regular sport (behind the neck) headphones instead of earbuds. The headphones cut out windnoise without blocking out traffic noises. Also, they stay in place.

The "Slip" looks pretty awesome and I might buy a set to try them out (although one of the online reviews weren't too kind to them). The only problem I see with them is that your earbuds are going to be somewhat permanently attached to your helmet which would be a pain in the butt if you get off your bike and remove your helmet frequently
Old 09-26-07, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use ipod ear phones with one one ear in....the other ear bud gets wrapped around my helmets ear piece so it doesnt flap around
Old 09-26-07, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ymee
Do the ipod earbuds block out wind noise?
You can still hear wind when you're really moving. I don't think that's a bad thing. When I riding I just want to hear the music, news, whatever. I don't care about sound quality on the bike.

For riding and running I perfer the old style iPod earphone. The new ones don't stay as well in my ears.
Old 09-26-07, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could also try slipstreamz...
https://www.slipstreamz.com/content.asp?subID=8

Old 09-26-07, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Marin Kentfield

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plow13
you could also try slipstreamz...
https://www.slipstreamz.com/content.asp?subID=8

those look really cool. currently i just use IPOD earphones..just one in my right ear..and the other one just wraps around the back of my ear and kind of falll over in front of my left ear. sometimes i do that with both, because i only want the music as kind of "background music"
Old 09-26-07, 03:40 PM

Bikes: Too many to list comfortably

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
MDREX71SL are the nicest inexpensive sounding earbuds out there but I would not
necessarily recommend them for cycling because they do tend to block out outside
noise fairly well. But standalong off the bike, they sound terrific. I wear them with
an iPod in a back jersey pocket when I do trainer rides in the off-season.
Old 09-26-07, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I use the nike / phillips headphones and they work well.. They are in your ear enough so you can hear your music but not so much to cut out traffic noises behind you.. A good balance.. I think the earbuds that go in the ear canal cut out all outside noise that they can be a little dangerous.. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap, I have also found them at sports authority

https://cgi.ebay.com/Nike-Flight-Spor...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-26-07, 09:31 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The slip from slipstreams isn't that big of a deal if you want ot keep your music all the time. It never got in the way when I was taking off my helmet or hanging it off my bike when I went into work.
If I didnt' want to listen to music though I was either stuck with earbuds and a cord plugged into nothing or I had to annoyingly remove them. I dont' think they are built for alot of on/off cycles as the plastic was white at hte flex points after just a few.
I am probably going to buy a spare helmet and have one for music and one for without. That is if I can find someone who sells m y helmet. I swear everytime I buy anything I like it goes off the market.
Old 09-27-07, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Marin Kentfield

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
I use the nike / phillips headphones and they work well.. They are in your ear enough so you can hear your music but not so much to cut out traffic noises behind you.. A good balance.. I think the earbuds that go in the ear canal cut out all outside noise that they can be a little dangerous.. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap, I have also found them at sports authority

https://cgi.ebay.com/Nike-Flight-Spor...QQcmdZViewItem
OOOH, i really like these. I think these will be my nxt set of earphones.
Old 09-28-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out these: https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-16307.html

They are the etymotic ER-6. You can find them cheaper but they're still pretty expensive. They CAN block out almost all sound but you can adjust that by how deeply you seat them in your ears. I use them on my bike and I use them on my lawnmower. I can hardly hear the mower when they are fully seated but have no problem hearing cars coming up from behind when I leave them out a bit. They are the most comfortable in ear phone I've ever used and the sound quality is unbelievable.

Joe
Old 09-28-07, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Too many to list comfortably

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Etymotics are gorgeous sounding buds but the Sony MDREX71SL's are the cheap version of the
same kind of design in some respects.

The sound quality is far better than the original buds that come with the iPods (which I find unbearably painful to wear, they're huge! My earholes aren't that big!).

If you're a "money is no object" kinda person, the Etymotics are the way to go.

If you want great sound on a budget, the Sony's are my vote.
Old 10-01-07, 07:35 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, Etymotics is a little expensive, but I think it's worthy.
Recently I just got my Etymotic ER6i. They are inserted all the way into the ear, forming a tight seal which blocks out external noise but lets pure sound come through the integrated ear-speakers.
And I got it at a pretty low deal price for $75. Here is it, maybe it can help some of you

And it also has some reviews
https://www.digitalmania-online.com/E...6i-Review.html

Last edited by jan12; 08-18-09 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-01-07, 07:42 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In case you don't get all the info you're looking for here, head-fi.org has all anyone would ever need to know on the topic.

Bring your wallet though. I've come away with no less than a half dozen buds/phones from suggestions there.
Old 10-02-07, 10:09 PM
Powerlifting cyclist..

Bikes: Merlin/Spectrum Ti, specialized hardrock, Indy fabs SSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive had the Shure E5s and E2's they had great sound, maybe a little bright. They did seem to block the sound out pretty well though. Right now I have some Denon's.. They are a little muddy in the low end but they do alright. They have this damn asymmetrical cable though that drives me nuts. One of your first considerations should be price cause they start at $10 and go up to over $500.. just deciding that will narrow your choices.
Old 10-02-07, 10:35 PM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of these...

https://www.v-moda.com/collection/mod...ss%20freq.aspx

They work great and sound great..
Old 10-02-07, 11:11 PM

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the feedback, but let me reiterate these important points:

1. The biggest factor is getting a pair of earbuds is that stay in the ear during the course of a ride.
2. Sound quality is a negligible factor since wind and traffic noise make up the background. This pretty much excludes the pricier earbuds since their primary selling point in sound quality.
3. Sound isolation is a NEGATIVE factor since I still want to be able to hear my surroundings, especially traffic.

I guess if I were to describe my ideal set of earbuds, they'd be like the sound isolation ones that go into the ear canal EXCEPT that they do so solely for the purpose of being secured in the ear, not to actually isolate the sound of the earbud. They would be constructed as to allow ambient noise to flow through the earplugs in conjunction with the speaker sound.

Maybe I'm asking for something that doesn't exist?
Old 10-02-07, 11:57 PM
rain-forest commuter

Bikes: 2008 Kona Dr. Dew, 2002 Kona MokoMoko, 1994 Cadex, 1990 Breezer Thunder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought the Slipstreamz a few days ago based on feedback from this site and I love them. I went through 5 pairs of headphones looking for ones that fit all your criteria. In the end, the ones that blocked out the wind (canal phones) kept coming slightly dislodged. The wind noise became ubearable with the Sony headphones that wrap around the back of your ears and sit sideways in the canal. The volume on regular phones had to be adjusted for wind noise.

Now with these Slipstreamz, I can use regular, decent headphones and I can hear them nearly the entire time without changing the volume. The sound isn't fantastic, since they don't sit 'in your ear', but beside it, but that's not a big deal to me since I listen to talk radio. I can now hear everything around me - in fact, I hold conversations at stop lights with the radio still playing. And best of all, that frikkin windnoise is down dramatically.

The only drawback, as someone else pointed out, is that they are inconvenient if you want to remove them regularly. I have 2 helmets, so that's not a big deal for me.
Old 10-03-07, 06:45 AM
GretnaBikes

Bikes: GretnaBikes - Panzer, GretnaBikes - Rothrocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out skullcandy. Look at the smokin buds!
Old 10-03-07, 09:14 AM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toegnix
Thanks for all the feedback, but let me reiterate these important points:

1. The biggest factor is getting a pair of earbuds is that stay in the ear during the course of a ride.
2. Sound quality is a negligible factor since wind and traffic noise make up the background. This pretty much excludes the pricier earbuds since their primary selling point in sound quality.
3. Sound isolation is a NEGATIVE factor since I still want to be able to hear my surroundings, especially traffic.

I guess if I were to describe my ideal set of earbuds, they'd be like the sound isolation ones that go into the ear canal EXCEPT that they do so solely for the purpose of being secured in the ear, not to actually isolate the sound of the earbud. They would be constructed as to allow ambient noise to flow through the earplugs in conjunction with the speaker sound.

Maybe I'm asking for something that doesn't exist?
The ones I linked to above do isolate a bit....They come with different size ear buds and I use a smaller one on the left and so it lets more sound through....I am sure the others do as well....I don't have an issue with the falling out....
Old 10-03-07, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Find a hearing aid clinic to make custom molds into which you can fit the standard earbuds that come with the iPod, etc. You may be able to specify "skeleton" molds that don't occlude. At the least, you can order them with large vents that will allow outside sound into your ear. Average cost is about $150. If your local clinic hasn't ordered these before, tell them they're available through Westone.
Old 10-27-07, 09:53 PM
Not much to say

Bikes: Slew o'Cannondales and a bunch of others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to drag up an old thread and I realize that it isn’t an earbud but I found a solution (for me anyway) to the headphone dilemma. I snagged a Saitek stereo speaker, a compact, battery powered speaker that fits nicely into a jersey pocket. Sound quality is surprisingly good and it will work with any music source with a 3.5 jack. I got mine at woot.com for less than 20 bux.
https://www.shopping.com/xPC-Saitek-A-100
https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Persona.../dp/B000BPNUCY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.