Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuji(ASI) buys Kestrel.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fuji(ASI) buys Kestrel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 11:39 AM
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fuji(ASI) buys Kestrel.

Fuji's parent buys Kestrel new
Written by: Dan Empfield
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007

Advanced Sports, Inc., parent company of Fuji Bicycles, purchased the assets of the Kestrel brand. ASI's marketing manager, Karen Bliss, said her company bought, "the rights to the Kestrel brand name, its marketing assets and all tooling."

All the details of the purchase are not finalized, according to ASI president Pat Cunnane, but the assets purchased include the tradenames, patents and tooling.

News of Kestrel's impending sale to Fuji circulated at last month's Eurobike trade show, and the deal was essentially done last week, but for last minute details.

Since ASI is buying certain named assets of Sandpoint Design -- the company owned by several of the original employees of Kestrel -- what about the liabilities, specifically ongoing warranties? Cunnane said his company has not assumed these liabilities, which puts ASI in the tricky position of massaging customer satisfaction without becoming the responsible party for warranties. Assuming an unpalatable volume of warranty work that contractually belongs to the seller is bad business, but so is leaving customers on the hook. Warranties, “is a detail left to be worked out,” Cunnane said.

Sandpoint Design will sell the through its existing inventory throughout this year and perhaps into next. But, the Kestrels at Interbike this week will be shown at the ASI booth, and that booth will continue to sell models familiar to triathletes and road riders, including the Evoke, Airfoil Pro and the Talon and Talon SL. This means that for some period of time there will be two manufacturers selling the same Kestrel product: Sandpoint Design and ASI. But Sandpoint will have only the 07 product with this year’s graphics, and ASI’s product will carry next season’s 08 graphic treatments.

Also in question is whether Kestrel's attention to detail will remain a part of the brand. ASI says it, "will continue to invest in research in the materials, tooling and performance technology that have built the legacy of the Kestrel brand..." But without the engineer-owners who've run the company for the better part of 20 years, whom do you pay to move forward Kestrel's particular interpretation of industrial design?

“We bought the company because of what it has been over the past 20 years,” Cunnane said. “We’re committed to continuing that legacy.” Cunnane also said he’ll be talking to the Sandpoint employees, and did not rule out the possibility of some employee and designer continuity that survives the ownership change.

This year marks Kestrel's 20th anniversary, a history that includes a boom in the late 80s, followed soon after by a stumble that caused a necessary sale to Schwinn. The company was then sold to its first Asian contractor, Nippon Steel, and then to a group that included a private investor along with the employees. The company then migrated much of its manufacturing to Martec and closed its own plant near Monterey, California. This makes Fuji the fifth, or perhaps sixth, owner since its founding by Tom French and Bevil Hogg, who were two of Trek's founders.

ASI now has control of its second high-profile brand. It first acquired Fuji Bicycles in 1998, long a powerful name in Japanese-made bikes, and under ASI's husbanding a resurgent brand. Is there a pot of gold in its newly acquired headbadge?
Uh oh, does that mean Kestrels automatically become junk like the Fujis? And what will Bikesdirect.com call the Airfoil Pro in a few years when they rebadge it?
Old 09-25-07, 11:42 AM
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was getting ready to attack you...as i have a Team RC and ask why Fuji is junk...

till i looked at your sig...
Old 09-25-07, 11:46 AM

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
Uh oh, does that mean Kestrels automatically become junk like the Fujis?
I almost called you out on that, but then saw that you own multiple Fujis, so I'm going to assume sarcasm on your part. At least, it had better be sarcasm.
Old 09-25-07, 11:46 AM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crash716
i was getting ready to attack you...as i have a Team RC and ask why Fuji is junk...

I still believe alot of people will take the bait, nonetheless.
Old 09-25-07, 11:51 AM
proud of his bunny

Bikes: 2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
Uh oh, does that mean Kestrels automatically become junk like the Fujis? And what will Bikesdirect.com call the Airfoil Pro in a few years when they rebadge it?
WTF HOW IS FUJI A JUNK BRAND! YOU OBVIOUSLy ARE A TROLL POSTING THIS CRAP YOUWOULDn"T KNOW A GOOD BIKE IF IT RAN YOU OVER GO BACK TO RIDING YOUR WALLMART BIKE N00B
Old 09-25-07, 12:29 PM
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinn-X
WTF HOW IS FUJI A JUNK BRAND! YOU OBVIOUSLy ARE A TROLL POSTING THIS CRAP YOUWOULDn"T KNOW A GOOD BIKE IF IT RAN YOU OVER GO BACK TO RIDING YOUR WALLMART BIKE N00B
Fish ON!!!!
Old 09-25-07, 12:35 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Great, there went another great brand being bought up by a cookie cutter, wanna be bike company.
Old 09-25-07, 01:06 PM
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trust me guys, I fight the Fuji good fight. A lot of other people on here seem to think they are junk with no basis, so I was just poking fun at them.
Old 09-25-07, 01:14 PM
proud of his bunny

Bikes: 2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*yawn*
Old 09-25-07, 01:15 PM
SD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Fuji, as do a couple of my riding buddies who rides them as well. Great bikes for the money and the older aluminum Team SL frames are still pretty snappy.
Old 09-25-07, 01:22 PM
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kestrel had not been doing it for me lately...
Old 09-25-07, 01:30 PM
Quarq shill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
*yawn*
Thanks for that well thought out reply. I now see your side and concur.
Old 09-25-07, 01:43 PM
proud of his bunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, sometimes it's the simple things that make life worthwhile

BTW, I work for a company that does IT Consulting for Kestrel in Santa Cruz. I wonder if this buyout will affect our relationship with them...
Old 09-25-07, 02:50 PM

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crap. I was on the fence about selling my Talon SL... guess that seals the deal.
Ebay link to follow.
Old 09-25-07, 03:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MY FUJI BRETHREN...GROUP HUGS? NOW, WE'RE ONE HAPPY FAMILY

Old 09-25-07, 03:16 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like I'm fudged as a Kestrel owner. I haven't even sent Kestrel my warranty card and I'm 45 minutes drive from their headquarter. It sucks that the buyer brand is not honoring Kestrel's current warranties. Not a good message to potential kestrel owners. I'm convinced that the first generation evoke (my year) has the nicest graphics, most emblematic of older kestrels (remember mango sci?) or white kestrels? Under Fuji's parent company it's going to be all black I'm sure.

Yeah, sometimes it's the simple things that make life worthwhile

BTW, I work for a company that does IT Consulting for Kestrel in Santa Cruz. I wonder if this buyout will affect our relationship with them...
Old 11-25-09, 07:42 AM
A1C Ace

Bikes: Masi Alare, 2009 Kestrel RT-800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Talewinds
Crap. I was on the fence about selling my Talon SL... guess that seals the deal.
Ebay link to follow.
I'm hearing that Kestrel is still working on it's own. Making new frame designs, etc. I just, I mean just bought a 2009 RT-800 and I going on my first group ride tomorrow morning (burn cal. before I eat turkey ) I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy Turkey Day everyone,
Ben
If Dori from Finding Nemo was a cyclist, "Just keep spinning, just keep spinning."
Old 11-25-09, 08:20 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
It could have been much worse. Kestrel could have been bought out by Dorel like GT and Schwinn were or they could have become a name on the BD list. Actually, I thought BD was going to buy them.
Old 11-25-09, 08:28 AM
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash716
I have sigs turned off. Glad you said something....

Friend of mine has a TT and a road bike by Kestrel. Nice bikes!
Old 11-25-09, 09:07 AM
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
It could have been much worse. Kestrel could have been bought out by Dorel like GT and Schwinn were or they could have become a name on the BD list. Actually, I thought BD was going to buy them.
My shop carries Raleigh and Giant, and in the past couple of months have picked up some Schwinn and GT's. Compared to similar Giants, most of the Schwinn and GT's look better, have better parts and still come in $150-50 less than the relatively bland Giants. I'm not s fan of what Schwinn/GT did to their names, but they're making up for it now.
Old 11-25-09, 09:22 AM
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 'news' is over two years old.
Old 11-25-09, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Off season...
Old 11-25-09, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Braaaaiiiinnssss!
Old 11-25-09, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
My shop carries Raleigh and Giant, and in the past couple of months have picked up some Schwinn and GT's. Compared to similar Giants, most of the Schwinn and GT's look better, have better parts and still come in $150-50 less than the relatively bland Giants. I'm not s fan of what Schwinn/GT did to their names, but they're making up for it now.
Except for Raleigh, that sounds like a local Performance here. Replace Raleigh with Fuji and it is the same.
Old 12-16-09, 08:38 AM
Quarq shill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by danarnold
The 'news' is over two years old.
So was this post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.