Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Too hot to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Too hot to ride?

It was too hot to ride today, at a time of year when the leaves are changing, and your expecting the first frost in less then a month, it was 33C or 91F today. Set new records across the province, global warming????
Old 09-25-07, 09:19 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
91 is not too hot to ride- if so, you'd skip 6 months of the year here in Dallas. Yeah, you'll be soaked with sweat when you get back, but that's just part of it.
Old 09-25-07, 09:22 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,005 Posts
I don't know I wondering now. I got heat stress on Saturday and I am still ailing. Looking for anyone who has suffered and how long did it take you to recover.

Old 09-25-07, 09:25 PM

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
91 is cold.

i did a few rides in 105-110 heat this summer. just need to make sure your stay hydrated and dont push too hard.
Old 09-25-07, 11:41 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got up to 88 here in SE PA. I managed to get out while it was only around 82. Tomorrow is my normal rest day, and it is expected to be 88 and higher humidity, the real killer for me. However if my head light shows up from Nashbar, I'll have to go into the woods early evening to test it. Someone remind me to take a mask along, I can't breath in woods without sucking in some unwanted protein. Friday temps return to normal.
Old 09-26-07, 07:41 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Edonis13
91 is cold.

i did a few rides in 105-110 heat this summer. just need to make sure your stay hydrated and dont push too hard.
No, 30 below with a wind chill of 40 below is cold, actually half my summer rides were at 90F or higher, just it cooled off, and then we got this hot spell again, although it was also quite windy, most of the day too.....
Old 09-26-07, 08:16 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode in some 100+ days. Just hydrated well before during and after the rides and I was fine.

Yes, I was sweating, but when I ride I sweat anyway, so a little more sweat isn't a problem for me.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 09-26-07, 08:23 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
91*F is killer hot around here. I'm from the midwest, so it doesn't bother me; but people who grew up in Seattle have some odd ideas (to me) about what's "hot" and what's "cold."

Cincinnati, OH
- Hot == 3 weeks of triple digit temperatures and >80% humidity. At night it might drop to 90*F.
- Cold == 5*F, -15*F with windchill. It stays like that for much of the winter.

Seattle, WA
- Hot == OMG we're going to die if we don't get an air conditioner to combat this oppressive 82*F heatwave. It's supposed to stay like this for 2 whole weeks, and it's only going down to 70*F at night.
- Cold == Wool hats and mittens, scarves, sweaters, down jackets, etc. because the temperature is below 50*F. No foolin'. It's 45*F for my morning commute so I put on tights and a polypro top layer, and I've already seen people wearing balaclavas and polarfleece jackets.
Old 09-26-07, 08:37 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
91*F is killer hot around here. I'm from the midwest, so it doesn't bother me; but people who grew up in Seattle have some odd ideas (to me) about what's "hot" and what's "cold."

Cincinnati, OH
- Hot == 3 weeks of triple digit temperatures and >80% humidity. At night it might drop to 90*F.
- Cold == 5*F, -15*F with windchill. It stays like that for much of the winter.

Seattle, WA
- Hot == OMG we're going to die if we don't get an air conditioner to combat this oppressive 82*F heatwave. It's supposed to stay like this for 2 whole weeks, and it's only going down to 70*F at night.
- Cold == Wool hats and mittens, scarves, sweaters, down jackets, etc. because the temperature is below 50*F. No foolin'. It's 45*F for my morning commute so I put on tights and a polypro top layer, and I've already seen people wearing balaclavas and polarfleece jackets.
My brother-in-law was there while still in the service and really enjoyed the area, and always wondered why people had those same extremes. He thought it was short and t-shirt weather most of the year.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 09-26-07, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the reasons I like riding is it is far better in the heat than running... It is all about insulated bottles with ice in them...
Old 09-26-07, 09:21 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was 5C(41F in american money ) with very little wind and sunny here this morning, perfect riding weather imo.