Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Bike Novice Looking for Advice...

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 09-25-07, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. My name is Kelly. Prior to recently, I haven't really been an avid biker. As of recently I have decided to make a serious effort at getting back in shape and I figured buying a bike would be a definite step in the right direction. The only problem is I really have no idea where to look or what to look for when it comes to making a serious investment.

I have a budget of about 5-600 dollars, I live in an urban area, and I am a relatively large dude(6'1", 240). If anyone can give me suggestions, factoring in the above criteria, on what to look for in terms of brands/models/whatever, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

-Kelly
Old 09-25-07, 11:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kelly,

5-600 is a tight budget for any road bike but do-able. Keep a keen eye on the used bike set on eBay and craigslist then pray hard for some good luck. I got tired of waiting and dropped a grand on a new rig- a few years old Team model Raleigh.

If you want a pure commuter consider single speed flip-flop hub with freewheel one side and fixed the other. There are several makes available in your price range.

Good luck

toadster
Old 09-25-07, 11:45 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Kelly--for a guy your size, toadster's got some good suggestions. You might check out the Clydesdales/Athenas forum as well, as they are the experts on bikes for bigger folks. Biggest concern for bigger people is wheels, although I don't think you have a lot of worries there. Just don't get the smallest spoke count.

If you like the idea of going vintage steel, there's usually some good buys on CL and eBay. Check out the thread here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...34532&page=123

for a better look at what could be potentially available.

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 09-26-07, 05:49 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to BF.

Originally Posted by kwilliams86
...I live in an urban area...
Don't most of us??

Originally Posted by kwilliams86
The only problem is I really have no idea where to look or what to look for when it comes to making a serious investment.
Try visiting a few bike shops. Look around, compare brands, ask questions, and take a few bikes out for test rides.
Our shop sells a nice entry level road bike (Raleigh Cadent) for $650 so with your budget of $500-600 a new bike is doable.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-26-07, 07:35 AM

Bikes: Klein/Bianchi/Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I've made this suggestion to a few people who are looking for a good bike on a low budget: Check to see if there are any bike clubs in your area. If you go to the local road bike shops, they might have a list of them. Many times, the members of these clubs have bikes that they want to sell - especially the sort of (Wealthy $$) riders who feel the need to upgrade every couple of years. This way you can get a reasonably top quality bike for a fraction of its original cost. And, you can size it up by comparing yourself to the person who is selling it.

Good Luck!