Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Saddle Sores (Clydes more prone?)

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-25-07, 10:50 PM
Banned.

Location: Help! I've plummeted to my death, and I can't get up!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

*** WARNING *** Can be a bit graphic and breakfast aspirating.
I've been riding for quite a few years now, and am still in the uberClyde club, but that doesn't really bother me much. What does bother me is that I've been plagued with saddle sores the entire time. I really enjoy bike commuting all year long and mountain biking (what little I do) but this issue is getting me to the point to where I dread getting in the saddle some times (alot of times actually).
Being a *really* big guy I've always had issues here and there with chafing and other dermal issues on the inner thighs, but that comes with the territory, but I don't ever recall in all of my life having constant boil-like sores there, and these things sometimes bleed and ALWAYS hurt, it even hurts to sit on a stool here at work.
I've tried every treatment I can think of, using baby powder before rides, baby whipes with alcahol after each ride, clean shorts every day, vaseline, bag balm, udderly smooth, etc. I've even tried a dozen different saddles, a few different bikes, and many different riding positions... nothing seems to do the trick. It's a shame really, I've been totally car free (for my part, wife still drives) for a few years now and just recently have been looking to purchase an automobile so that I can stop riding the bike(s) because of the pain. And it saddens me really, something I enjoy doing so much is causing me so much pain, I guess I know how junkies and gambling addicts feel.
I'm tired of the pain.
I'm tired of purchasing/trying new saddles every other month or so.
I'm tired of being tired of this.

I am at my wits end here. Is this a common issue with us bigger folks? Is it fixable? Am I doomed?
Old 09-26-07, 01:22 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those inner-thigh boils are not from riding. I used to get them quite often before I ever rode a bike. Now that I am riding I no longer get them. Keep your inner-thighs very clean and dry. I shower twice a day.

I would get your blood checked because boils are one sign of diabetes. One reason I started riding-I thought I might be getting diabetes and I wanted to fend it off with diet and exercise.
Old 09-26-07, 01:27 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)
Those inner-thigh boils are not from riding. I used to get them quite often before I ever rode a bike. Now that I am riding I no longer get them. Keep your inner-thighs very clean and dry. I shower twice a day.

I would get your blood checked because boils are one sign of diabetes. One reason I started riding-I thought I might be getting diabetes and I wanted to fend it off with diet and exercise.
You know, I've heard that... and that is what scares me. I'm not much of the "going to the doctor" type, and I already suspect something might be wrong because I have other issues that make me think "diabetes", sometimes I get these cold sweats, sometimes while riding I feel like I'm about to pass out, then I have to sit down and I get all sweaty and my vision gets a bit dark, maybe I should go get checked out.
Old 09-26-07, 02:28 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh yeah. Go to the doctor. Soon.
Old 09-26-07, 06:18 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
You know, I've heard that... and that is what scares me. I'm not much of the "going to the doctor" type, and I already suspect something might be wrong because I have other issues that make me think "diabetes", sometimes I get these cold sweats, sometimes while riding I feel like I'm about to pass out, then I have to sit down and I get all sweaty and my vision gets a bit dark, maybe I should go get checked out.
I really think you need to see the doctor as well. You have only one body and untreated diabetes is truly nasty in it's consequences. Feel like losing legs, or going blind? All possible consequences. Not to mention death?

It's not going to fix the problem when you don't go to a doctor, after all.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-26-07, 06:28 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom. I understand the "not going to the doctor thing" and almost did myself in by not checking with the doctor sooner when I had symptoms of cancer. Thankfully I finally drug myself in, the cancer was treated (with surgery) and I am OK. But I was lucky.

If you suspect diabetes, or just haven't had a general checkup in at least 2 years please go to a doctor. My best friend, who has struggled with his weight for years has Type 2 diabetes. I have learned alot about the disease from him. It is clearly not something you mess around with as it can lead to blindness, kidney/liver/heart damage, loss of extremeties and the worse, stroke. My friend's mother last year, at age 65, suffered a stroke. Turns out she was diabetic but she never went to the doctor even when symptoms presented themselves. It's over a year since the stroke and she still has not regained the use of her right side and speech.

Am I trying to scare you? You bet! Please go to the doctor.

As to the sores, I have a friend, definitely a clyde who for years has been struggling with this problem and sees a doctor regularly for treatment. There are apparently many reasons that cause the problem including just putting alot of pressure on the area, but the worse problem is not the sores but what they can lead to. Having chronic open sores in a not so clean area can lead to a serious infection. They do need to be properly treated.

Make an appointment for the sores, but in addition get a general physical checkup. Rule out diabetes, hypertension, etc. and then go from there.
Old 09-26-07, 08:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)

+1 on the diabetes. Several years ago, before I started riding, I developed a bad boil on the back of my upper thigh in the rear. I didn't really realize that I had it, other than a very slight painful sensation, but that painful sensation was masked by a general feeling of illness and a high fever. I thought I had the flu. After several days I found that I had a liquid-filled sac on my right thigh that extended down almost to my knee, and a general inflamation in the area. I went to the doctor, and he immediately admitted me to the hospital. My A1C was a 14, and my blood glucose was over 400! That's when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

The thigh infection had to be opened up surgically and drained.

The nurses took a sharpie and outlined the inflamed area on my thigh, and the doctor said that if the infalmation did not start to recede inside the sharpie-marked area after a few days of intravenous antibiotics that there was a possibility of amputation!

For over a year previous to this episode I had been experiencing a severe thirst - I couldn't drink enough water. Also I had over time numerous of these boils, or skin infections, in areas such as my armpits, waist, and groin.

I was pretty much in denial regarding the diabetes, but as an EMT I knew what the signs were. I just chose to ignore them (until it almost lost me my right leg, and possibly my life).

By the way, since then, with diet and exercise, I am keeping my blood sugar under control, and there have been no further occurances of these boils.

Don't be afraid of going to the doctor to get diagnosed. Diabetes is no longer the death sentence that it formerly was. If you are Type-2 (insulin resistive) then you likely don't have to have injections - I'm currently just taking two pills per day. Hopefully with continued weight loss, and sticking to my diet, I can eventually look forward to not even needing the pills.
Old 09-26-07, 04:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not a fear of going to the doctor, but rather that I have only been to a doctor about 4 times in my entire life. We were very poor when I was young so doctor visits were pretty much unheard of, my grandmother was our doctor.
And the rare times that I have been to a doctor I get frustrated and purt-near get ready to walk out. There are few things in this world that piss me off more than having to make an appointment to see someone, and then having to wait upwards of 3 hours after the appointment begins before I even see them. Then there's all the waiting alone in a cold room while the doctor rushes back to his office to hop on Google and try to figure out just what in the hell is going on (hey, I can do that myself and save a fortune!!).

But I'll make me an appointment this weekend, I have been paying for medical insurence for god nows how many years, it's about time I use it.
Thanks for scaring the **** out of me guys!
Old 09-26-07, 04:40 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom I am there with you. Last year I have some bad symptoms and distaste for doctors, apointments, all that kept me from going until it was almost too late. Turns out I had cancer and thank the Good Lord it was caught in time. Of course, I needed surgery, was off the bike 4 months and am still suffering but the alternative could have been worse.

And now I basically have a doctor's appointment every month. Like you said decided to take advantage of medical insruance and get my health in order. No time like the present. So glad you are going yourself looked at. Who knows it maybe a pleasant experience. Nice thing about having insurance, it usually is.
Old 09-26-07, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well - not trying to infer that you were afraid. What I meant is that it's too easy to find excuses to not do something that you really don't want to do.

The test for diabetes is called an A1C. This test will reveal your average blood sugar for the previous 90 days - don't even have to fast beforehand for that one - just let 'em draw a vial of blood.
Old 09-26-07, 04:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized SJ FSR Comp, RH Comp Disk, Cannondale SR600, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good God Tom...go see the doctor for sure. I'm sure they'll figure out real quick what the problem is.