Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tail Lights: Blinking or Solid?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems like most people run their tail lights in blinking mode, as this supposedly draws more attention from drivers. But I wonder if running tail lights on solid (provided they're pretty bright) would be better since drivers would more likely see your bike as a "vehicle". Drivers are able to see other cars, none of whom have blinking tail lights.

I have two tail lights on the back of my bike (Planet Bike Superflash and Cateye LD1000) and have turned them on and parked my bike next to my truck with its lights on. The bike lights on solid are actually a little brighter than my truck's tail lights ('91 Toyota 4 x 4). Admittedly my truck's tail lights aren't the brightest but I would say they're probably close to average. If drivers can see my truck's tail lights, I don't see how they could possibly miss my bike (which also has a rear reflector and reflective material on the seat bag).

Does anyone else think it's possibly safer to run solid tail lights in order to be recognized as a vehicle?
Old 09-26-07, 01:51 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I use both when it is dark outside. At minimum a solid (LD1000) and a flash (PBSF)

I use both in blinkie mode when it is dim outside as my even dim bike/body/reflector provides a solid reference point.

Al
Old 09-26-07, 02:05 PM
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on running the PBSF blinkie on my saddle and the LD1000 solid on the rear rack.
Old 09-26-07, 02:09 PM
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As indicated by the incessant honking from cagers, it seems like my solid 4 led 12v DOT trailer light works perfectly fine for me.
Old 09-26-07, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read something recently that in very dark conditions blinking lights are harded to judge distance. This winter I plan on running both solid and blink. Formerly, I've always put everything on blink.
Current rear setup:
reflector rear rack, loads of reflective tape
cateye LD 1000 on courier bag solid
cateye LD 1000 on seatpost flash
planet bike superflast on rear stay flash
planet bike 3 led on seatpost solid
generic free linkie on helmet flash

The point isn't just that they see you, but that they differentiate you from cars. ...that they do a "what the heck is that" and exercise some caution as they close and pass.
Old 09-26-07, 02:53 PM
almost kosher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
both prolly would be best. personally, i do find the blinkies to be rather noisome though. especially on group rides.
Old 09-26-07, 03:07 PM
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Solid red on rack bag and backpack.

Blinkie on seat.

Lots of reflective tape, just to be sure!

It seems the combination of both solid and blinkie is popular with those who regulary commute in the dark.

I think car drivers recognize a blinkie as most likely being attached to a bicycle. Also, any pedal reflectors or shoe reflectors emphasize the pedalling motion, further indentifying you as a bicycle.

Hey, I always get a wide berth when they pass...

I do not use lights or blinkies during the day. However...I do have a long, dark freeway underpass that I have to go through on my way home...after the time change, I'll turn on my lights before the start of my trip home, since it will be dark by the time I get home...
Old 09-26-07, 03:08 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by chtorr
Does anyone else think it's possibly safer to run solid tail lights in order to be recognized as a vehicle?

On dark roads a really bright flashing tail light is over powering to motorists, which makes it hard for them to see around you. After dark I put the PBSF on steady and run a basic lower power blinkie on flash to still catch attention. In bright city conditions I'd leave it on flash.
Old 09-26-07, 03:14 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tappets
both prolly would be best. personally, i do find the blinkies to be rather noisome though. especially on group rides.
I run mine solid if there's going to be a cyclist behind me, otherwise it's on some form of blink/pattern.

Flashing mode in low light (cloudy or dawn/dusk) or the random mode on it if it's dark out. (Flash blinks all the LED's at once, random has one random LED lit up at a time)

On the front I run an LED flashlight on flash mode, and my 15 Watt halogen lights if I need them.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 09-26-07, 03:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i run solid since it can be seen from a distance
Old 09-26-07, 04:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
night=steady

day=flashing
Old 09-26-07, 04:20 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I prefer both, but when riding with a group I think solid is preferred by the others in the group.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-26-07, 05:06 PM
livin' the nightmare

Bikes: '81 Centurion SS coversion, other ****

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run mine steady. It's plenty dark where I normally ride so the steady is more than adequate for visibility. I also find that sometimes blinkies can be painful to look at when they blink really fast in the dark, so I only use the blinking or random modes when I'm on a well-lit city street, where there are more cars and I need to catch their attention.
Old 09-26-07, 05:38 PM
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Mars 3.0 and normally run it on chase mode. It seems to be the best of both worlds. My friend also has a Mars 3.0 and after following him home last night I will remember to never use the flash mode when on a group ride. That thing blinded me numerous times. In chase mode it only turns on 1 LED at a time so it is much less bright overall. When I get another taillight, I will start using one on chase and one on solid at night.
Old 09-26-07, 06:21 PM
Back after a long absence

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Speedster 3-speed, Raleigh Super Course

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right now I'm primarily blinking (reelights) and as soon as the new wheels for my commuter are built I'll have dynamo-powered steadies.
Old 09-26-07, 06:25 PM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think flashing lights are more attention grabbing, while steady lights give better spatial awareness. My coworkers have verified this after seeing me on the way to work, telling me they pick up on the flashing lights from over a mile away when they see me on the right stretch of highway. We start before daylight year 'round. By the steady lights they can see that the thing up ahead is moving. If they didn't know it was me they wouldn't know, by the lights, what it is or that it's a bicycle from that far away, but it's easy to determine that there is definitely something there.

On the back of my helmet is a Mars 3.0 run steady on.

On me is a red LED flashing reflective vest.

On my seat post is a Cateye TL-LD1000, one bank on flash, the other steady on.

On the back of my rear rack (on a bike that has one) is a Cateye TD-LD500 run steady on.

If I'm towing one of my trailers, the above light is omitted in favor of a TL-LD500 on each rear corner of the trailer run steady on.

I've been thinking about rigging up some yellow clearance lights for the sides of the canoe, like the big rig trailers. It's such a long trailer, over 15' total length.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 09-26-07 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 06:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this beats LEds by a mile and can be seen from

Old 09-26-07, 06:42 PM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic side visibility, but I don't see anything fore and aft. Wouldn't meet legal requirements 'round these parts.

Cool looking set up, though.
Old 09-26-07, 06:46 PM
loves his IRO.

Bikes: IRO Angus, all sorts of upgrades.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sledbikes
this beats LEds by a mile and can be seen from

Having blue lights on your car (unless youre a firefighter) in NY is illegal.

I'd assume the same for a bike, but hey, it looks sweet.
Old 09-26-07, 07:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Fantastic side visibility, but I don't see anything fore and aft. Wouldn't meet legal requirements 'round these parts.

Cool looking set up, though.
cars can see it the halo is a lot brighter, thats how dark it is around here as we dont have streetlights
Old 09-26-07, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look up at night the next time a commercial aircraft flies overhead. Strobes to get your attention against the background of stars (or lights on the ground if you were in an aircraft above it), solid lights to aid tracking the object once you detect it. Same lighting principle on tall radio antennas.

Based on these, I think both a flashing and steady lights. Two steady lights might be best so that other vehicles can judge how fast the distance between you and them changes based on how the separation between the two steady lights changes.
Old 09-26-07, 10:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giro
Look up at night the next time a commercial aircraft flies overhead. Strobes to get your attention against the background of stars (or lights on the ground if you were in an aircraft above it), solid lights to aid tracking the object once you detect it. Same lighting principle on tall radio antennas.

Based on these, I think both a flashing and steady lights. Two steady lights might be best so that other vehicles can judge how fast the distance between you and them changes based on how the separation between the two steady lights changes.
This makes a lot of sense. I may try my Superflash on solid and the Cateye "pickle" with one bank on solid and the other on flash. The Superflash is actually brighter than the Cateye on solid mode (also brighter when flashing). That may be the best of both worlds -- a lot of solid red light with a smaller amount of flashing red light.
Old 09-26-07, 10:30 PM

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Europe = solid, US = WTF?
Old 09-26-07, 11:38 PM
hrc.org [=]

Bikes: pre-1993 Specialized HardRock, has Suntour derailleurs/shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a light which does a flashing pattern across 5 or so LEDs, where at any given moment at least one LED is on. I guess it could be considered "hybrid". I tend to use this since it both grabs attention and continually shows my position/velocity.
Old 09-27-07, 12:06 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I run a solid light on my bike and a blinkie is mounted at the back of my helmet... the extra height of the blinkie is really atention grabbing since it is well above the levek of most tail lights.

Some research also indicates the blinking lights are like a magnet to impaired drivers who will unconciously target in on the blinking light...which is a really bad thing.

I run a 1 w or 10 w led up front and also run a small white blinkie that I mount to the head tube so it's flashing doesn't bother me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.