Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best Canadian & US Online Store for MTB & Acc??

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-26-07, 05:51 PM

Bikes: 21 spd Univega - duallie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,

Just wondering what the best/most popular online stores are for MTB gear. The ones I have found so far aren't that great.

Canadian sites would be best for me but I'll order from the US too if the shipping rates are decent.

Thanks all!
Old 09-26-07, 06:05 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doooood! We're basically at PAR! Damn near any U.S. online shop that doesn't use UPS* for shipping will work. I just ordered a crapload of stuff from Ride This and Universal Cycles [both in Oregon]. There's a massive backlog in Canadian customs right now, so things will take a wee bit longer to show up. Bikeroom were the only real full-service Canadian online shop providing mtn bike stuff, but they are complete ******s. Don't buy from them - they've screwed over many, many people.

*UPS charges brutal brokerage fees, in the range of $65 for anything over $50 in declared product value. In comparison, I think USPS [US Postal Service] charges $6 for the exact same service [and USPS is faster]. I avoid UPS like the plague unless the shipment is within Canada.
Old 09-26-07, 06:16 PM

Bikes: 21 spd Univega - duallie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Pinkrobe

Thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned about the exchange rate, I've just found (mainly from Ebay) that sellers jack up the shipping price alot when shipping out of their respective country. I tried that bikeroom site the other day but the site wasn't working. (thanks for the heads up too, I hate dealing with a--hole retailers).

Thanks for the USPS tip too..
Old 09-26-07, 06:52 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
NEVER BUY FROM BIKEROOM. EVER....EVER!!!!! This coming from an ex loyal customer who spend 5000$ there over a period of time.

Jensonusa is who I prefer. Quick, cheap and no problems with customs.

There is also bikecanada.com which has high prices. For some reason online retailers are really sparse in canada.
Old 09-26-07, 06:56 PM

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Equipment Coop also has stuff. https://mec.ca
Old 09-26-07, 06:56 PM
later

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
Bikeroom were the only real full-service Canadian online shop providing mtn bike stuff, but they are complete ******s. Don't buy from them - they've screwed over many, many people.
Originally Posted by Flyingfish
I tried that bikeroom site the other day but the site wasn't working. (thanks for the heads up too, I hate dealing with a--hole retailers).
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
NEVER BUY FROM BIKEROOM. EVER....EVER!!!!!

Bikeroom is currently not taking orders
Old 09-26-07, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the UPS deal, it's only true if you use their cheapest method of shipping.
I've read somewhere and it is also my personal experience, if you use the express (or saver) shipping method then your package goes thru the border without any problems.

I also highly recommend Jensonusa! On monday morning I made an order for tires, hydration pack and some small bits, got them tuesday afternoon. The package went from California to Ontario, Canada in about 24 hours!! I paid $22 for shipping for a 6+ lb package and didnt pay any BS brokerage fees. UPS too.
Old 09-27-07, 01:26 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JiggyNS
Regarding the UPS deal, it's only true if you use their cheapest method of shipping.
I've read somewhere and it is also my personal experience, if you use the express (or saver) shipping method then your package goes thru the border without any problems.

I also highly recommend Jensonusa! On monday morning I made an order for tires, hydration pack and some small bits, got them tuesday afternoon. The package went from California to Ontario, Canada in about 24 hours!! I paid $22 for shipping for a 6+ lb package and didnt pay any BS brokerage fees. UPS too.
My bad, I should have mentioned that aspect of the shipping with UPS. JiggyNS, it sounds like you had your stuff shipped via air, which is probably best for smaller packages. Not all retailers offer the better shipping methods, so caveat emptor.
Old 09-27-07, 02:01 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jenson does ship UPS but includes brokerage fees in the shipping/handling price you pay to Jenson.
Old 09-27-07, 07:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's fine! If my shipping + brokerage fee is $20 for $100 worth of stuff, I'm good!
On a previous occasion I paid $90 brokerage fee alone for a package that cost $200. After shipping, I was paying over 60% of the product value in shipping fees!
Old 09-27-07, 07:49 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's fine! If my shipping + brokerage fee is $20 for $100 worth of stuff, I'm good!
On a previous occasion I paid $90 brokerage fee alone for a package that cost $200. After shipping, I was paying over 60% of the product value in shipping fees!
Meanwhile I have paid 40$ on 500$ and 60$ on 1500$.
Old 09-27-07, 08:47 PM

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you live close to a point of entry, you can clear your own customs even if it is shipped by UPS. I do this all the time. You don't get out of paying duties or taxes, but you do save on the brokerage fee.
  • When you have your UPS tracking number call UPS and tell them that you do NOT authorize them to be your customs broker.
  • Wait for a call to tell you that your customs papers are waiting at your local UPS depot. Normally UPS is supposed to call you but they can take a while sometimes. Keep an eye on the online tracking status to see where the papers are at.
  • Get to your local UPS depot to pick up the papers and head to your local customs clearance office. Here in Montreal the local UPS depot is in Lachine and they actually hand out little maps showing you how to get to the customs office that's close to Trudeau Airport in Dorval.
  • Head to the customs office with your papers and pay any duties and taxes that are due.
  • You now have a choice. You can either take the stamped customs paper back with you to the UPS depot to pick up your package or you can leave it there so that the paperwork makes its way back to UPS triggering the delivery.