Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

07 Tassajarah

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

07 Tassajarah

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 06:39 PM
2009 Tarmac Elite

Bikes: 08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
07 Tassajarah

I am trying to decide on my first bike. I was seteled on a Trek 6000 then was shown a leftover 07 Fisher Tassajarah( non-disc) The said they would sell it to me for $650. That got me thinking and thought that within my budget I could still get the 08 6000, or a 08 Fisher Marlin-Disc, or... the 07 Tassajarah. I am fairly confused on what to do. Can someone give me some guidance?
Old 09-26-07, 07:58 PM
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddyMo
I am trying to decide on my first bike. I was seteled on a Trek 6000 then was shown a leftover 07 Fisher Tassajarah( non-disc) The said they would sell it to me for $650. That got me thinking and thought that within my budget I could still get the 08 6000, or a 08 Fisher Marlin-Disc, or... the 07 Tassajarah. I am fairly confused on what to do. Can someone give me some guidance?
I test rode that 07 tass non-disc and thought it was a really nice bike, until I bought my Iron Horse Warrior Comp for $420. The Tass felt heavier, I was stretched out over the frame more road bike style (I believe Fisher bikes tend to have longer TTs, correct me if I'm wrong).

The IH comes with full deore and hayes disc brakes, feels lighter, rides lighter. I am touting this bike every chance I get b/c it is a true steal at the price. You can do a little of everything with it.

cheers
Old 09-26-07, 10:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't like the tass, i testrode one, and i thought it was way overpriced, you shoudl be able to get 9speed and disc, for 650 when the bike isn't on sale, and not a total no name brand either, maybe not a trek or a c'dale, ect, also they have the genesis geometry which i think is kinda silly, when you shorten the stem that much the steering gets twitchy, maybe not somthin everyone notices on a parking lot test ride, but i thing if you got it out on trail it would handle differently than most xc bikes
Old 09-26-07, 11:29 PM
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have that bike. I like it. It's my first real MTB. One thing I did notice though is that the the TT is a bit long, and you might be stretched out a bit. Pay attention when you test ride it. The cool thing about the Tassajara is that the Manitou Slate fork has all the adjustments: preload, compression damping, lockout, and rebound damping. It's coil sprung though, and the spring is pretty stiff. I'm about 175 lbs and I set the least amount of preload for about 15-16% sag. If you're significantly lighter than me, the coils will probably be stiff for you. The hubs also can accept a disc if you want upgrade to disc brakes (or just a front disc).

It comparison with the Marlin, the Tassajara has a better rear derailleur, and the Marlin has a Rockshox Dart 2 fork. I don't know anything about that fork.

Are you planning on changing anything on the bike?
Old 09-27-07, 07:01 PM
2009 Tarmac Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not looking to change anything right away. Just trying to get into a bike and log some serious ride time. Trying to do whats best as far as bang for the buck on my first bike. Thnaks for the info... super helpful. anything else to add would be appreciated!
Old 09-28-07, 08:49 AM
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got an 05 tass in the garage. It's tough as nails. I keep flat pedal on it and used it when I want to practice track stands or wheelies, or other stunts that I might hit the ground on. I do occasionally take it on the trails and play on it. It's a great ride! I never notice that I'm on a "genesis" frame either. Mine with disc's weighs in at 29 pounds. That's my experience with the tass!
Old 09-28-07, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Hecklah

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by born2bahick
Mine with disc's weighs in at 29 pounds.
You have a bike that weighs more than 21lbs???
Old 09-28-07, 09:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
You have a bike that weighs more than 21lbs???
Just a little something for when I wear my big boy undies!
Old 09-28-07, 10:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a little something for when I wear my big boy undies!
...for skid marks.
Old 09-28-07, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turn that brown spot to the front and you can get another three days out em!
Old 09-28-07, 10:35 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turn that brown spot to the front and you can get another three days out em!
Oh...that's just sick. Looking at the OP's name...he already knows all 'bout it.
Old 09-28-07, 02:03 PM
2009 Tarmac Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL... nice! I was wondering if that was going to get drug into the conversation. ALSO... I think I decided on a 08 Piranha. What do you think about that bike. It seems like overall this forum is kind of anti Trek? Any reason why? I have no preference, just curious..... Test riding the Fisher was outstanding. Having a longer trunk and shorter legs the Genesis geometry fits really well. I had to have the white one.... So it had to be ordered and will be in my hands on November 19. LONG FREAKING WAIT!

MuddyMO... i.e. Missouri river.... Kansas City, MO
Old 09-28-07, 02:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL... nice! I was wondering if that was going to get drug into the conversation. ALSO... I think I decided on a 08 Piranha. What do you think about that bike. It seems like overall this forum is kind of anti Trek? Any reason why? I have no preference, just curious..... Test riding the Fisher was outstanding. Having a longer trunk and shorter legs the Genesis geometry fits really well. I had to have the white one.... So it had to be ordered and will be in my hands on November 19. LONG FREAKING WAIT!

i don't think every one on here is "anti trek". I would say they have a great warranty and make good bikes, its just that they have gone more xc ish(because thats what they have been making money off of)
Old 09-28-07, 03:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by taylor p
they have gone more xc ish(because thats what they have been making money off of)
What the crap?

BTW, I'm not a Trek fan either but...what the crap?
Old 09-28-07, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the crap?

BTW, I'm not a Trek fan either but...what the crap?
when i say XC ish I include trail and AM (fuel line).
but they do only have one DH bike and the jacks(which I don't like the look of)

and I never said I don't like Trek infact I am thinking about getting a hifi next year, maybe
Old 09-28-07, 04:11 PM
Why not?

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it would be awesome. Post pics and a review when you get it!

You could also head over to the road forum, or Foo, and see if you can find Wolfpack. She has an 08 Piranha
too, I believe.
Old 09-30-07, 09:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WE're practically niehbors! I'm over to west in Topeka. I don't want to seem anti Trek. I ride a Trek road bike! I haven't cared for the past offerings in XC,( lack of a horst link and bikes spec'd with float R's that could of benifited from an RP3 were my issues with them)but the 08 looks like they are finally putting it together. I'd test ride one!
Old 09-30-07, 01:44 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WE're practically niehbors! I'm over to west in Topeka. I don't want to seem anti Trek. I ride a Trek road bike! I haven't cared for the past offerings in XC,( lack of a horst link and bikes spec'd with float R's that could of benifited from an RP3 were my issues with them)but the 08 looks like they are finally putting it together. I'd test ride one!
You're so rude.

...and if ya want to come to Topeka, born2bahick and I will give ya a tour of the Mansion, Perry, and Clinton!
Old 09-30-07, 02:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're so rude.

...and if ya want to come to Topeka, born2bahick and I will give ya a tour of the Mansion, Perry, and Clinton!
MY bad! Yes we would! You should know though, that Ed farts a lot, (you notice he was the first to address the skid mark issue?) We normally make him ride in the back!
Old 09-30-07, 03:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MY bad! Yes we would! You should know though, that Ed farts a lot, (you notice he was the first to address the skid mark issue?) We normally make him ride in the back!
I do it on purpose so I don't have to eat all the spiders.
Old 09-30-07, 05:17 PM
2009 Tarmac Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a deal...... I have never ridden trails though, this is a new hobby for me.... total newb. PLUS, my bike won't be in my hands til mid Nov.

That being said.... if you 2 don't mind riding with a newb.... sounds like alot of fun!
Old 09-30-07, 07:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sounds like a deal...... I have never ridden trails though, this is a new hobby for me.... total newb. PLUS, my bike won't be in my hands til mid Nov.

That being said.... if you 2 don't mind riding with a newb.... sounds like alot of fun!
Yup! I'll be hit'n' miss for the next 3 wks b/c I'm studying for round 2 of my boards.
Old 10-01-07, 04:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoot us a PM when you get it!