Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Purchased a Woodstock 707

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 11:17 PM
newbie clyde

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Frontier 18 spd MTB with 1.7" road tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will post more when it arrives. Couldn't find bad word about this bike on the Internet, figured I would give it a shot.
https://www.woodstockbikes.com/707/707.htm

Last edited by synergy; 09-28-07 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 07:01 AM
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
How does the warranty service and customer service compare between the two?
Woodstock offers a limited lifetime warranty. Up to the buyer to determine whether he's comfortable with mom-and-pop (quite literally in this case) lifetime warranty versus large corporation warranty

Are Woodstock bikes sold through local bike shops?
According to Woodstock website, no, but I don't think Woodstock is targeting folks who prefer buying at the lbs. The gist of the sales copy on their website suggests that their potential buyer is someone who is comfortable tinkering with his own bike and doesn't necessarily need the support of an lbs.

Finally, I think your $900 vs. $1500 comparison is wishful thinking at best.

https://www.woodstockbikes.com/707_co..._fuel_ex_5.htm

https://www.woodstockbikes.com/707_co..._fuel_ex_6.htm

Well, according to the Woodstock-generated stats, he does save money, maybe not as much $600. Of course the Woodstock quality ratings are woodstock-generated and I don't see details of the formula on the website, so, again, up to the buyer to determine whether the woodstock quality ratings are meaningful.

I have to say that I like the look of the 707 and the component mix. The choice of 16" or 18" leaves me in the middle, personally, but one can always call Woodstock to discuss fitting. Always a good test of customer service to call ahead and see how they respond.

Originally Posted by synergy
Will post more when it arrives. Couldn't find bad word about this bike on the Internet, figured I would give it a shot. Why should I pay $1500 for a Trek Fuel EX when I can get this for $900?

Congrats on the new bike. Please review early and often and post your thoughts! Cheers
Old 09-27-07, 07:15 AM
newbie clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was sold when I read this:

https://mountainbiketales.com/reviews/707.htm

The Woodstock value rating formula is this:
((2000-Total Price)*Quality Rating)/100

Honestly the value ratings don't mean that much to me. I can look at the components and know if I'm getting some good or something mediocre. This is my first off-road bike and I really did not want to spend $1500+ at an LBS nor did I want to spend $400 at Wal-Fart.

I feel comfortable buying from a mom & pop Internet company, mainly because I run a mom & pop Internet business myself. You are likely to get better personal service than you could ever get with a huge company like Trek.

There are also a few other independent reviews out there that are favorable. Here are the only weaknesses I have found, from TheBikeGeek.com:

"Right when I first got the 707, I took it to the LBS to show the guys and to get their opinions. Some of the mechanics took it around the parking lot to test it out. The General Manager of the shop wanted to air down the shock to have it fit his weight. Once he let out all of the air, he compressed the rear end to see if it would get the full travel on the shock. To our surprise, the rocker arm was hitting the top of the shock, which meant you couldn’t get the full travel on the rear end and potentially damaging the shock.

Though this was easily remedied by moving the shock position to the outer mounting bracket. Once that adjustment was made, the rocker arm was no longer hitting the the shock.

Another problem we had during our test was the drive train crank arm. The crank arm bolt came loose during our test. We had to cut our ride short that evening and by the time we got back to the car, the crank arm had vibrated loose.

I had mentioned both problems to Woodstock Bikes. They immediately responded by making sure they notify future customers of the rear shock/rocker arm problem and by adding an 8mm allen wrench with the bike when purchased. Apparently the problem with the TruVativ cranks has been experienced by other bike companies using the same model on their bikes."

Last edited by synergy; 09-27-07 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-27-07, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does the warranty service and customer service compare between the two?

Are Woodstock bikes sold through local bike shops?

Finally, I think your $900 vs. $1500 comparison is wishful thinking at best.

https://www.woodstockbikes.com/707_co..._fuel_ex_5.htm

https://www.woodstockbikes.com/707_co..._fuel_ex_6.htm
When you see a parade, do you stand around hoping it rains?
Old 09-27-07, 08:12 AM
newbie clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speaking of mom & pop customer service... just called Woodstock to see when the 2008 models are due out and what color they would be. Phone was answered on the second ring and a real nice guy answered my questions (not until March/April). I told him that I had purchased the '07 last night and he knew immediately who I was, said that the bike would be shipped today and that I should have it by early next week at the latest.

And the warranty....

"All new Woodstock Bikes frames are warranted by Woodstock Bikes to be free from manufacturers defects for the life of the original owner. All other components that are not part of the bicycle frame will be warranted from the original manufacturer of said components. Go to our warranty page for the detail on our warranty. If you still have questions, call our customer service department at 877-366-9302."

Last edited by synergy; 09-27-07 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-28-07, 09:15 PM
newbie clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An excellent interview with Jimmy Rigsby, Founder and Owner of Woodstock bikes.

https://commutebybike.com/2005/11/11/...kes-interview/