Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I've gotten fast(er).

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 10:45 AM
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotten fast(er).

I had not done the MUP that I initially started riding on since I started commuting a month or so ago. At that time, I was averaging 11.5 to 12mph on it over a 25 to 30 mile loop on that MUP.

I've been a little disappointed lately because I have only been averaging about 12mph on my 16 mile round trip commute and thought that wasn't much of an improvement over a month or so of riding. I have noticed that my legs seemed to not get as tired, though.

Well, I did a 28 mile loop with a 15mph wind on that MUP today and averaged 13.9mph. And my legs are incredibly fresh. And, unlike before when I rode that loop, I did not struggle around the 22 to 25 mile mark. I guess riding on the rough shoulder to work with hills and wind has made me stronger than I thought.

I am not up to the 18 plus mph averages I see some people get but I am stoked that I was able to average almost 14mph with my fully loaded MTB.
Old 09-30-07, 11:09 AM

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Stujoe,

The legs getting stronger thing is great isn't it? I have been riding since June and I have had the same thing. My averages are creeping up (never as much as I think they should) and after a 20+ mile ride I am a little dissapointed that there is not more. A couple months ago I was praying for the end

Also, to make you jealous, I just walked in from riding the Tunnel Hill Trail this morning I deposited my girfriend at the Tunnel Hill Trailhaed and drove down to Vienna and rode the 10 miles back up to her and then we rode back together.

The next time you decide to head back down here, give me a shout and lets hook up.

Again, Congrats on the increases.

Jay
Old 09-30-07, 11:19 AM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jealous indeed! I bet that whole area is going to get even prettier as the colors start to change. We may not get down there again until spring but I would love to get together to ride it whenever we do get down again. It would be nice to have someone to ride with for a change. I can't get my wife to get anywhere near a bike. lol
Old 09-30-07, 01:00 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm faster as well:

Old 09-30-07, 01:15 PM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could have used one of those to counteract the headwinds today. lol
Old 09-30-07, 01:23 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Crazylady countering a headwind.....at Mach 0.5

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-30-07, 03:27 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stujoe was that you I saw today near Horseshoe Lake? I saw a guy riding with those drop bar ends heading the opposite direction as me somewhere around 10:30 am or so. B**** of a headwind today wasn't it.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 09-30-07, 03:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There have been times I wished I could pop out a wind surf sail.
Old 09-30-07, 03:41 PM
Clydeasaurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was feelin' lazy today and we had wicked south winds (15+ continuous) so I got the little lady to meet me with the truck in a little town about 19 miles to the North and rode a strong tailwind. Yep, it's cheating, but it was incredibly fun riding 20+ for 90% of the way. If I had to do an out and back, I may not have bothered. I hate going 10 mph.

I got the bent and my fat butt up to 36 mph for about a 1/4 mile on a downhill and a subsequent valley... A bit scary.
Old 09-30-07, 04:14 PM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudu93
Stujoe was that you I saw today near Horseshoe Lake? I saw a guy riding with those drop bar ends heading the opposite direction as me somewhere around 10:30 am or so. B**** of a headwind today wasn't it.
I am pretty sure that would have been me heading for the YMCA near the end of the ride. Timing is pretty much spot on. Was I trying valiantly to keep up with a road biker? lol Sounds like it might have been before that. Those winds did kick up pretty good.

Did the bike look like this?

Old 10-01-07, 02:00 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks like it. Keep up the good work and if you we cross paths again I will be sure to give you a shout. I was the on a black scattante road bike wearing the purplish Sunset Amber Ale jersey heading the opposite direction.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 10-01-07, 03:47 PM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will keep an eye out next time I am up there for sure.
Old 10-01-07, 07:18 PM
Ninja don't wear flipflop

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stujoe
I had not done the MUP that I initially started riding on since I started commuting a month or so ago. At that time, I was averaging 11.5 to 12mph on it over a 25 to 30 mile loop on that MUP.

I've been a little disappointed lately because I have only been averaging about 12mph on my 16 mile round trip commute and thought that wasn't much of an improvement over a month or so of riding. I have noticed that my legs seemed to not get as tired, though.

Well, I did a 28 mile loop with a 15mph wind on that MUP today and averaged 13.9mph. And my legs are incredibly fresh. And, unlike before when I rode that loop, I did not struggle around the 22 to 25 mile mark. I guess riding on the rough shoulder to work with hills and wind has made me stronger than I thought.

I am not up to the 18 plus mph averages I see some people get but I am stoked that I was able to average almost 14mph with my fully loaded MTB.

Good job, just keep it up and be patient. Keep building that aerobic base. Speed will follow on its own (although drills help as well).